Join Us

We are 216,745 members in 84 forums discussing 160,184 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: MRI results

Forum: Not Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned —

Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Dec 7, 2019 05:37AM

2tails wrote:

I was diagnosed and treated for DCIS back in 2013, completed 5 years of Tamoxifen in 2018. Things were going great until a week ago. I had a screening MRI last week (I alternate MRI with Mammogram every 6 months). This was actually the first one. It picked up "diffuse linear and nodular nonmass like enhancement involving the upper and outer quadrants and to a lesser degree the subareolar without a focal dominant enhancing mass lesion. There is no similar pattern on the right."

I understand that this language basically means the MRI found something. I am scheduled for an ultrasound next Wednesday and will have a biopsy scheduled after that. The ultrasound is to figure out what biopsy technique will be used. If the ultrasound does not find anything my breast surgeon said they will likely do an MRI guided biopsy.

I have a few questions. First back in 2016 I had a breast reduction to try to match the left and right sides in size. The surgery was unremarkable and I had fantastic results. All the tissue removed was sent to pathology and came back negative. All was good. The question I have is can the breast reduction have anything to do with this MRI result? The findings are unilateral on the opposite breast so I lean towards a no to that question, but I don't really know.

The second question I have, does anyone have any experience with the language used in the MRI report? Do these kind of findings typically present as DCIS, LCIS or possibly ILC or is this something that you cannot tell from MRI enhancement?

I do realize the only thing I know for sure is that the MRI found something that may or may not be anything to worry about. And I also know that the only way I can know for sure is to have the ultrasound and biopsy as recommended. That being said I also know that there are a lot of women here that have experience, opinions and kind words so I thought I would reach out to the community and see if anyone here had any thoughts or advise. The first diagnosis was not this hard, and I am really struggling with this finding.

Thank you for listening and your support.

Best Regards

Dx 5/10/2013, LCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR+ Surgery 6/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 7/1/2013, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 8/20/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/29/2013