Join Us

We are 218,138 members in 84 forums discussing 160,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Waiting for Biopsy Results - Possible Recurrence

Forum: Not Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned —

Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Feb 10, 2020 12:29PM - edited Feb 10, 2020 02:48PM by Mudstick

Mudstick wrote:

Long story short - I had positive margins for DCIS after my skin sparing mastectomy in October 2018 for IDC/DCIS ER/PR+, HER2-. My Oncotype was 14 and with no nodal involvement, so no chemo recommended. Radiation was not recommended either - the doctor said that DCIS was "wimpy cancer". So, I've been on tamoxifen for the past year.

Unfortunately, I found a small lump near my scar this past Christmas (2019). I visited my surgical oncologist, who tried to be reassuring by saying 90% of the time these lumps are scar/fat necrosis. She sent me for an U/S and Mammogram that happened on January 27. The U/S tech noted there were actually 2 masses on top of one another (7mm and 3mm). The radiologist classified my imaging as BIRADS 3 (2-3% risk of malignancy) and recommended re-imaging in 6 months. Given my history (multifocal IDC, LVI and positive DCIS margins) - I was not comfortable waiting 6 months to see if anything changed.

They couldn't book my biopsy until March 13th (low priority). However, luckily I was booked for my Stage 2 DIEP surgery (scar revision, fat grafting) and my Plastic surgeon agreed to do an excisional biopsy while I was under general anesthetic. My surgery was last week (Feb 4th) and now I'm sitting on the waiting train, trying to focus on the 97% chance that this is benign.

I'm not really looking for advise I guess...just company from those who understand what its like to wait for results while trying not to go too crazy!

Dx at 43 (2018) with multi-focal IDC (1.7cm largest) + microinvasive DCIS 7.5 cm. LVI + Positive Anterior Margin for DCIS. Local Recurrence February 2020 Dx 9/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/12/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)

Posts 31 (31 total)

Apr 11, 2020 10:42AM Mudstick wrote:

Hi Kimmh012 - Thanks for checking in. I've been off-line for a while organizing life during these crazy times! I did hear last week that I will be doing 4 rounds of TC, followed by radiation. Official start date hasn't been scheduled, but my MO thought the week of April 20th or the following week would be likely.

I'm so sorry to hear you are worried about a new lump :-( What a stressful time! Have you had imaging or a biopsy yet? I hope ever so much that it is something benign....

Happy Easter and hope you stay safe and healthy.

Dx at 43 (2018) with multi-focal IDC (1.7cm largest) + microinvasive DCIS 7.5 cm. LVI + Positive Anterior Margin for DCIS. Local Recurrence February 2020 Dx 9/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/12/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 2 of 2 (31 results)