Long story short - I had positive margins for DCIS after my skin sparing mastectomy in October 2018 for IDC/DCIS ER/PR+, HER2-. My Oncotype was 14 and with no nodal involvement, so no chemo recommended. Radiation was not recommended either - the doctor said that DCIS was "wimpy cancer". So, I've been on tamoxifen for the past year.
Unfortunately, I found a small lump near my scar this past Christmas (2019). I visited my surgical oncologist, who tried to be reassuring by saying 90% of the time these lumps are scar/fat necrosis. She sent me for an U/S and Mammogram that happened on January 27. The U/S tech noted there were actually 2 masses on top of one another (7mm and 3mm). The radiologist classified my imaging as BIRADS 3 (2-3% risk of malignancy) and recommended re-imaging in 6 months. Given my history (multifocal IDC, LVI and positive DCIS margins) - I was not comfortable waiting 6 months to see if anything changed.
They couldn't book my biopsy until March 13th (low priority). However, luckily I was booked for my Stage 2 DIEP surgery (scar revision, fat grafting) and my Plastic surgeon agreed to do an excisional biopsy while I was under general anesthetic. My surgery was last week (Feb 4th) and now I'm sitting on the waiting train, trying to focus on the 97% chance that this is benign.
I'm not really looking for advise I guess...just company from those who understand what its like to wait for results while trying not to go too crazy!
Dx at 43 (2018) with multi-focal IDC (1.7cm largest) + microinvasive DCIS 7.5 cm. LVI + Positive Anterior Margin for DCIS. Oncotype Score = 14. Local Recurrence February 2020
9/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
10/11/2018 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap
12/31/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
2/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)
Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)
Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Log in to post a reply