Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Neck lump

Options

Hello,

I am two+ years out from breast cancer, no recurrence but I obsess about it constantly. This morning while getting ready I felt a very small lump which feels like it is on a tendon on my neck...it is very small, pea sized??? Is it possibly just a swollen lymph node? Going to pcp tomorrow to get it checked. Is it possible it will just go away?

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

You might have just found an actual normal lymph node. That's kind of what they feel like & they're always there. Hope your doc gives you the all clear asap
  • heatherpsalm34-4
    heatherpsalm34-4 Member Posts: 50
    Options

Thanks so so much, Moth! I am so tired of freaking out over EVERY LITTLE thing! I pray that you’re right!

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

It is most likely a lymph node doing its job. It's always good to be safe; glad you are getting it checked.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

well, went to my pcp and a neck ultrasound is ordered, hoping I can get in QUICKLY! She did say it felt small and soft, so I guess that’s good....and now the waiting game...

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

Well, had my ultrasound today... I tried to squeeze info out of the tech, and it was a no go...she stammered around and said all she could tell me was she didn't find any others, she measured the one I showed her, and if the radiologist feels I need more tests they'll let me know...🤦🏻♀️ I should find out results tomorrow...of course now I’m reading into her reaction and mentioning if the radiologist feels I need more tests they’ll let me know....

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    Options

Heather - waiting is always the hardest. Try not to get the cart before the horse and go down a scary path when it's still only guess work. Hope the doc sends results soon.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,939
    Options

Techs aren't supposed to give you information, and her "stammering around" was in response to you asking her to do something that is not allowed. Please don't read anything into it beyond that.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

well, got my ultrasound results...not good...cortical thickening and loss of fatty hila on swollen lymph nodes....masses hypoechoic....now likely having CT and biopsy....😢 Is there any hope these nodes aren’t cancer!?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,078
    Options

Yes Heather. Look to your name Psalm to assuage your fears. Please do keep us in the loop.

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    Options

HeatherPsalm34-4 I just wanted to stop by, I experienced enlarged neck lymph nodes at the beginning of the year. I had an ultrasound sound that led to a head, neck, and chest CT. The CT showed everything was good. I was a ball of anxiety. It was actually posts from some of the wonderful woman who have replied to you that helped me pull myself together. I’m over 9 years out and every year I have had some kind of scare. I have just accepted its part of my new normal. I wish you the best.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

PURE0323

I can’t thank you enough for posting! I am of course assuming the worst, imagining my husband being alone, my funeral, etc...you have given me hope. I’m assuming your US must have shown suspicious findings as well to warrant the CT! It gives me such HOPE that yours was nothing! My ct will be from neck to pelvis. I find out tomorrow when the scan is. Thank you too for all of you ladies who have commented and encouraged me. I get so excited when I get a notification that there is a message! I know God is in charge, and I thank Him for sending encouragement through you all!

• pure0323
    Options

At my ultrasound the tech even said,”You will be having a CT.” I came out there and almost threw up in the parking lot, my anxiety was so high. While I was waiting for my test I read through so many stories. One lady had a bad ultrasound, CT prompted a biopsy and then the biopsy was benign. Her story taught me that these test are not 100 percent. There is always hope no matter the outcome of these test. I see a physician assistant sometimes whose mother has been living with stage 4 breast cancer for 15 years, and she isn’t alone.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

well, ladies, CT scan neck to pelvis is tomorrow. I pray for good results! Oh how I pray it’s possible there isn’t cancer even though lymph nodes are lacking fatty hila and there is mild cortical thickening. I know God is in charge and I trust Him above all! Thanks for all of your support!

• sandyaust
    sandyaust Member Posts: 82
    Options

Heather, best wishes. I will be thinking of you.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

Bless your heart Heather we all feel for you. Of course prayers are coming your way.

I had a lump appear on my neck and freaked out too. It turned out to be fatty tissue thank goodness. Hopefully yours will be nothing too.

Keep the faith and keep us posted.

Diane

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    Options

Thinking of you today Heather

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

Thank you so much! Scans are done, and the waiting begins! I’m so thankful for you all

• pure0323
    Options

Glad to hear your scan is done.

• rain88
    rain88 Member Posts: 160
    Options

I'm thinking of you, Heather. I had an US of two small lumps on my neck last week and it's really hard waiting for results. I hope you will get all good findings. Heart

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

Thank you, RAIN! How did your US results turn out? This message board connecting me to all of your encouragement is such a blessing!

• rain88
    Options

Still waiting to get them... 😕

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

I would say no news is good news! My results were suspicious and I had my results in two days!

• rain88
    Options

The findings of the US: indeterminant. What is noted is the absence of preserved fatty hilum, which I understand is the mark of normal nodes. I don't know what will be next. I'm assuming a CT? I'm waiting to talk to my MO. Now I have an inconclusive bone scan and an indeterminant neck lump US. Neither could exclude malignancy. The waiting continues: another bone scan and most likely a CT. I am really scared, but holding hope for good results.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

Heather, I still have a side of my neck swollen and a node since May this year. I had US and I was told that I got a new nodule in my thyroid, 1.6cm. I had the biopsy in July that came back benign. I had my MO and my PCP check my swollen side of the neck and they think there is nothing suspicious. So, don't borrow the worries. I wish you good news soon.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

Lilyishere, that’s great news that your node was benign! I anticipate a biopsy for mine. Still waiting for CT results...did your node have any cortical thickening or missing fatty hila? Those are two characteristics mine had via US.

Rain88, It IS SO SCARY! I’m right there with you! But indeterminate is better than definite malignant! There is hope for benign findings yet! I’m praying for no cancer for my results too! But oh man, scanxiety! I keep trusting God that no matter what the result He will carry me through. But I’m so thankful for the support and friendships on this site! Keep us posted! Try to hand God your worries and rest tonight!

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 92
    Options

I hear you. I have a slightly enlarged lymph node in the front right side of my neck and have had a poor appetite. My doctor got an ultrasound done on it, and nothing showed up. It seems like things that would have been minor in the past are now pretty scary.

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

Well, Ladies, Got a call from the Oncologist office that We are taking as answered prayers!!!

Liver, kidneys, pancreas, bones, and lungs are all good! PTL!! There is a tiny nodule that has been in my lung that has been there and is stable and unchanged that they are unworried about!

They are still unsure about my neck lymph nodes that are enlarged so are going to try for a pet scan, if not approved by insurance, they will do a biopsy of lymph nodes.

They are also scheduling an EGD scope of esophagus as there is thickening and inflammation, possible esophogitis, but they made no mention of any nodules or tumors.

Ive never had a PET scan, will it be just neck or whole body?

So more tests and waiting, but I am PRAISING THE LORD!!!

• heatherpsalm34-4
    Options

I found out it will be a full body Pet scan, listed on request for insurance approval as diagnostic for new symptoms....should I be worried?

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,625
    Options

Heather,

PET scans are expensive, so your MO has to come up with a good reason to order one. I wouldn't read to much into the order. PET scans are much calmer than MRIs, so there's that. I've had three PET scans, and their biggest problem is that they can produce false positives. I had three PET scans show that *something* was going on in my left femoral neck (hip). However, that *something* never showed up in an MRI and a CT scan, so my MO concluded it was nothing. Only a biopsy can say for sure that *something* is cancer.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    Options

Heather, just checked the report from US and said: "appears spongiform and mildly hypoechoic with slightly ill-defined margins, and no definite associated echogenic foci.". Whatever this means. I googles some and got nervous but in the end biopsy showed benign.

I wish you good luck and please keep us posted.

Virtual hug.