Join Us

We are 223,107 members in 83 forums discussing 162,830 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Knee lump

Forum: Not Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned —

Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: Mar 20, 2021 04:36PM - edited Mar 20, 2021 04:38PM by HopeHeal

HopeHeal wrote:

Just dx March 1 but have been having slight left knee pain for at least a month especially when bending, with a now noticeable soft and mushy lump on the outside of the left knee.

Not dx with bc stage yet as I am meeting with an oncologist at the end of March to do chemo first, but I am terrified it might be mets to the knee. If so I would be stage IV which would be further worse news on a trend of diagnoses just getting badder and badder. Nurse and other patients have said it's not likely, that bc has to go through stages such as the lymph nodes first around the chest, but I also read the cells could travel via blood vessels. I'm triple neg, grade 3 and already 3 cm so it's understandable aggressive cells would travel fast. End of March for a scan seems so far away in the face of these shocking discoveries with so little time to process, and all because I missed my mammograms.

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, DCIS/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 4/9/2021 AC + T (Taxol)

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Mar 20, 2021 05:10PM - edited Mar 21, 2021 09:03AM by exbrnxgrl

hopeheal,

Yes, it's true that bc cells can travel through the blood as well as through the lymphatic system. It is also true that bone mets can, in theory, occur on any bone location in the body. But, it is less likely to occur in some areas such as the knee cap. Also bone mets are not likely to present as lumps but rather with pain to the area.

I know you are anxious and that's normal but you are catastrophizing i.e. leaping to the worst possible scenario. I can't promise you that the issue with your knee is not cancer, but I think you're creating unneeded worry for yourself. The waiting does seem endless but that should comfort you as your medical providers don't view your situation as an emergency (breast cancer rarely is!). The end of March is almost here. Take care.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Mar 20, 2021 07:22PM LivinLife wrote:

HopeHeal I have all kinds of knee issues - I have since I was a pre-teen. I had this contained squishy area on the upper part of my calf for a time several years ago. Turned about it was overflow from a Bakers cyst - common with knees, esp. bad knees. Yours certainly could be a different kind of knee issue depending on location. I agree with exbmxgrl that it likely is not cancer though I too wouldn't guarantee you it is not... Please let us know when you find something out....

with expansive comedo necrosis & weak ER/PR Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Mar 20, 2021 09:05PM HopeHeal wrote:

Thank you both for your comforting responses. I took another look at it today & the lump seems to be going down so may its bursitis. I'm still going to show it to the onco. I am anxious, working myself up into scenarios (probably not good for tumor control), but consoling to hear breast cancer is not an ER.

ER weakly positive, being classified as triple negative. Dx 3/1/2021, DCIS/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Chemotherapy 4/9/2021 AC + T (Taxol)

Apr 7, 2021 08:31PM DutchieGirl wrote:

I’ve never heard of bc metastasizing to the knee (or any joint). Both of my knees are sore but I also struggle with bursitis. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I’m going to get aging issues because ...ahem...I’m aging! A friend of mine who has bc had a very sore elbow. Her onco told her that, if it was cancer, she was going to write a book about her because that would be her first case of cancer metastasizing to a joint. Keep in mind that we will still get ailments and they will be totally unrelated to cancer.

Lori-Anne Dx 11/7/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIIA, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 1/14/2019 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/4/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 7/29/2019 Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Apr 19, 2021 12:42AM HopeHeal wrote:

Just to update you all, my MO ordered a CT on the knee and it looked clean except for a cyst, which, I think the steroids included in my chemo took care of as an added bonus. I am no longer experiencing any knee pain.

Apr 19, 2021 12:57PM 2019whatayear wrote:

Wonderful news HopeHeal!

5/6/2019 IDC 2cm, micromet 1/9 nodes, BRCA2+, ER+, PR+, HER- BMX 6/2019, A/C & Taxol 2019, Radiation, BSO - preventative 2/2020, Letrozole 3/1/2020, Started Lynparza for 1 year preventative on 7/18/2021

Apr 19, 2021 04:01PM LivinLife wrote:

Great HopeHeal! Thanks for letting us know!

with expansive comedo necrosis & weak ER/PR Dx 7/2020, DCIS, Left, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/31/2020 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)