Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hoping it's justscar tissue

I'm 3.5 years after treatment. This morning in the shower I noticed a half-dollar sized area near my scar, where I'd also received extra boosts of radiation, was a little bit pink. I thought it might be just a heat reaction, which happens sometimes, so checked on it a couple hours later. It hadn't faded, and I'm now noticing that the area underneath feels a little stiffened. Not a lump per se, more as if the layer of tissue right underneath underneath the skin has firmed up a bit and is a little bumpy. Exactly how I'd expect scar tissue to feel, but I don't really know and am trying not to panic until I can get in to see the doctor, hopefully soon. Has anyone experience a similar thing and been OK?

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,218

Purplecat - I don't want to scare you at all, but do get that checked out asap. My situation was much different, so again, it might not apply to you. When I was 19, I had a fibroadenoma removed and after it healed, I was left with a hard lump area and a scar. Throughout the next several decades, I would worry about the area from time to time if it seemed a bit changed. I was always told that it was scar tissue/nerve damage from the surgery and not to worry. Then at 65/66 I noticed that area being weird again (different sort of hardness, red smooth skin emerging in area) I didn't get it checked out, because I was sure they'd just tell me it was scar tissue again. Long story short, it turned out to be IDC; 5cm tumor that had been there for quite some time. Exact spot as the original lumpectomy all those years before. My advice is don't just assume it's scar tissue and get it checked out. I'm really hoping that yours is just a red area and no more; fingers crossed for you! Good luck!

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 224

Oh gosh, I hope it's nothing that bad! I'd also be fairly surprised, as I had clear mammogram and MRI last fall and last saw the PA for a breast exam in February.

I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow afternoon, so we shall see ...

• threetree

Again, my intention was not to scare, but just to emphasize getting it checked out. I wish you all the luck in the world. Probably just "one of those things".

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732

I had to get a biopsy 2 years after my surgery for what turned out to be scar tissue. I agree you should absolutely get it checked, but try not to worry ahead of time - the radiologist told me that the scarring can keep changing for up to 5 years after surgery.

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206

purplecat-I too hope all is well. Benign. It is always the right thing to tell someone and then take action. Please come back after your visit and give us their diagnosis. I too want to support you.

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411

purplecat,

I totally understand your situation! I found a tiny lump almost 2 months ago, it is not in surgery area, but in same breast. I reported to oncologist, and he ordered mammogram/ultrasound. In almost one month, I did mammogram/ultrasound, mammogram back clear, while ultrasound found a new lump which needs biopsy, the one I found myself is probably benign. I will go for biopsy tomorrow morning. My feeling is so complex, it is not in surgery area, so it is not scar (the radiologist wrote this in the report), does that mean this is a potential primary one but not recurrence?

Anyway, report to your doctor immediately. I wish you a benign result!

Cathy

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192

Purplecat I have the seat next to you on this bus. I have found a thickened spot in pretty much the exact same area as my original tumor. Got in to see my breast surgeon who said "yes I feel it". Didn't image on ultrasound as I have implants pre pec and as my BS said " you can't see underneath them with an ultrasound". So off to have an MRI. It is very difficult not to worry a bit but since I am 1 1/2 years out from revision surgery where they removed a ton of benign scar tissue, I am hopeful this is just a wee bit of that coming back.

But it does create some of that old feeling doesn't it? I think that is natural. Kuddos to you for your careful self exams I truly think they make all the difference.

• purplecat

Thanks, everyone.

I was able to get in with the PA this afternoon. She got right to the point: did an exam, confirmed something was there, and pulled some strings to get me in with the imaging department immediately. They had to do a mammogram first because it's been more than 6 months. Came back to do spot compressions, then took me over to the ultrasound room. The tech took a bunch of pictures, and then the doctor came in to get a look herself. The verdict is scar tissue and fat necrosis; however, since there have been some small changes since my last mammogram they want to do a biopsy to be certain. That's fine with me. It would have been better news if something obvious had been immediately identifiable as benign. But I certainly won't complain about the absence of anything that looks like cancer despite a set of 3d mammo pictures, spot compression, and then two different experts looking with an ultrasound wand.

Salamandra, your words especially have been a lifeline while I waited to be checked. We did radiation at the same time so I always notice your posts and am glad you're doing well! Threetree and katg, thanks for the good wishes and prompting not to let this wait. Cathy and Rah, I want to know how things turn out with you too, so will keep checking back. Pulling hard for you both!

• cathy67

Purplecat,

I just back from biopsy, it went well, this is my 2nd time on breast. It is so good that radiologist talk to you, so you know something already ruled out, just some minors need verification. I am in Canada, radiologist never talks to the patient, I got to wait long time for my ultrasound report to get the reason for biopsy.

I will get my biopsy report next Friday.

Cathy

• purplecat

Oh, that's a very long wait! Hang in there. I'm glad the procedure went well and is done.

• salamandra

purplecat, I'm so glad! <3 I remember those radiation threads, they were so helpful and supportive - a lifeline.

It sounds like excellent news so far and hopefully will stay that way! I do think they are super extra cautious with us, which is a good thing overall even if it can be an emotional roller coaster.

• threetree

Purplecat - Really glad to hear that things are looking good. I'll bet that biopsy shows something benign!

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 206

Thank you both for your posts. Knowing your DR's listened purplecat, does bring confidence and trust.

Advoating for ourselves is something we will all be great at!! One appointment at a time.

• rah2464

Purplecat that is wonderful that you got right in for imaging. Sorry for the biopsy but better to be safe. Hoping for just a chunk of scar tissue for you.

• purplecat

Thanks!

I felt so reassured after the diagnostic appointment, where I'd truly gotten the sense they all thought it was going to be fine even though they couldn't say so outright. Then yesterday morning the ultrasound and mammogram reports came through to my patient portal. I knew that reading them would set me off, so I told myself not to read them. Read them anyway. Saw all the ominous wording: “Birads 4, suspicious for malignancy" and “indeterminate hypoechoic lesion" and “neoplastic processes cannot be ruled out" and “biopsy recommended." It completely wiped out all the confidence I had felt the day before. So I called the PA who had physically examined the area to ask her what she thought of the results. She told me very directly that she thinks it's scar tissue, and not to worry about the terminology on the reports, which “they have to put in there." I definitely have the impression that several different seasoned professionals who do nothing but breast diagnosis and cancer care would be very surprised if this turned out to be anything bad. That's definitely not the sense I got with the work up that led to my cancer diagnosis, where they were positive and hopeful but were clearly preparing me to receive a cancer diagnosis.I think I"m going to postpone the biopsy, as the timing conflicts with a school event for one of my favorite kids. I'm realizing that this sort of thing is likely to happen to me over and over again for the rest of my life, and unless they tell me it's urgent I'm going to try not to let it interfere with my plans until it has to.

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 750

Hi purplecat, wishing you well and a benign result after you get the biopsy. Also be aware that future imaging may show "post biopsy changes" and you could possibly get Birads 3 scores for a while. I had fat necrosis found in Jan 2020 and just recently am finally back to Birads 2 and 1 set of imaging per year.

• cathy67

purplecat,

My birads is also just 4, but my report says they think it is not scar, cause it is far away from surgery area. My daughter also has lots of activities for high school graduation. Anyway, it is good that you can see doctors so quickly.

Fingers crossed.

• purplecat

Biopsy this afternoon. I've been able to put it out of my mind and go about my normal routines since scheduling it, but it's grown in my mind for the last couple of days and now I feel just as much dread as I did in 2018. Glad I can stay busy today but really wishing I'd taken time off work to take the first available appointment and gotten it over with. Soon, I guess. Ugh.

• threetree

Oh, Purplecat! That waiting can just be so anxiety producing and awful. Wishing you all the best of luck that there can be!

• cathy67

purplecat,

I guess you already done biopsy? I pray for benigh result for you! I know how dreadful it is, we fight together.

Fingers crossed.

Cathy

• purplecat

Thank you, ThreeTree and Cathy. I just got home and am trying to relax. The procedure wasn't so bad, but it was extremely emotionally triggering, since it's all in the same rooms from four years ago. I did my best to stay calm with the help of music in my headphones and some breathing techniques, but I just want to have a good cry. And even though I seem to have good reason to expect benign results, the waiting is just as excruciating as last time. Results will likely be ready on Wednesday.

• purplecat

BENIGN! Sounds like 2 or maybe 3 different kinds of scar tissue, but all benign. I'm so relieved!

Also astonished at how difficult this was. Both the PA at my surgeon's office and the radiologist who did my scans seemed confident it would be scar tissue. The problem area matched several characteristics listed in two different articles I found on fat necrosis after breast surgery and radiation. And from spending time on these forums I've learned that scar tissue scares are not at all uncommon, so I've almost been expecting it to happen to me eventually. Yet even with all that, it took every coping strategy I have learned in the past 4 years to make it through the past 30 hours without having an anxiety attack. I was just as shaken and apprehensive and terrified as I was waiting for the biopsy results that indicated cancer. I wonder if it will ever get any easier.

• sun-shine
    sun-shine Member Posts: 30

Hi Purplecat,

That's a good news. I am happy for you!

• cathy67

purplecat,

So good news, I just experienced exactly samething myself, happy for you.

Cathy

• rah2464

Purplecat what wonderful news! Sorry for the scare but so happy to hear benign

• threetree

Purplecat - I am just so, so happy for you! What a scare, and I think all of your worry and anxiety being just as bad as it was for the original diagnosis was normal and to be expected. Whew, what a relief you must feel now.

I'm also real glad you were able to get some support at least from the people here, in spite of what an abominable mess this site has become.

Onward and upward - wishing you nothing but more luck ahead!

• purplecat

Thanks, everyone! I’ve really appreciated the support. Threetree, I’ve noticed some changes in the look of the forum but not really any other glitches. But I tend to be away for long stretches, log back in when something comes up, then stick around for a while to pass on to newbies and others the same support I’ve been given. It does seem like things have quieted down a lot since I last spent time here, even in the introductory forums. There are hardly any active newbies to support. I wondered what was going on. Hope it all settles out soon.
  • cathy67

purplecat,

I made quite similar planning. Just noticed both of us jonined 10 years ago due to 1st suspicion, then back in 2018 and 2019 for real disease, and back this spring for another suspicion, and got clear news...

This is the only forum that I've stayed for 10 years.

Cathy

• salamandra

YAY! I am so glad to read this.

Anxiety is a beast. I had some abnormal blood tests and waiting for my primary care doctor to call me about them, I googled them and half convinced myself I might have leukemia. (She said she thought it was probably mono or something and she was referring me to a hematologist but she's not concerned). Our minds get into ruts, I think, and my mind has definitely carved itself a nice comfortable anxiety rut to roll into at any provocation.

But anyway, YAY!!!

• purplecat

Thanks, Cathy - I hadn’t noticed that similarity, but that’s exactly what happened: I joined the forum because I needed an biopsy of something that turned out to be benign, and then six years later found my way back for real cancer. Hope this is the last scare for both of us, or at least that all the others continue to be benign! Salamandra, that’s exactly what it’s like: my mind gets into a rut and can’t climb out no matter how much reassuring evidence I have. Glad it’s not just me!