Topic: Hoping it's justscar tissue

Forum: Not Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned — Meet others concerned about developing a recurrence or metastases.

Posted on: May 3, 2022 01:26PM

Posted on: May 3, 2022 01:26PM

purplecat wrote:

I'm 3.5 years after treatment. This morning in the shower I noticed a half-dollar sized area near my scar, where I'd also received extra boosts of radiation, was a little bit pink. I thought it might be just a heat reaction, which happens sometimes, so checked on it a couple hours later. It hadn't faded, and I'm now noticing that the area underneath feels a little stiffened. Not a lump per se, more as if the layer of tissue right underneath underneath the skin has firmed up a bit and is a little bumpy. Exactly how I'd expect scar tissue to feel, but I don't really know and am trying not to panic until I can get in to see the doctor, hopefully soon. Has anyone experience a similar thing and been OK?

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal Surgery Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 3 of 3 (30 results)

May 16, 2022 04:26PM - edited May 17, 2022 09:50PM by purplecat

Thank you, ThreeTree and Cathy. I just got home and am trying to relax. The procedure wasn't so bad, but it was extremely emotionally triggering, since it's all in the same rooms from four years ago. I did my best to stay calm with the help of music in my headphones and some breathing techniques, but I just want to have a good cry. And even though I seem to have good reason to expect benign results, the waiting is just as excruciating as last time. Results will likely be ready on Wednesday.

Dx 10/2018, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/4/2018 Lumpectomy Surgery 10/18/2018 Lymph node removal Surgery Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 17, 2022 09:48PM - edited May 17, 2022 09:51PM by purplecat

BENIGN! Sounds like 2 or maybe 3 different kinds of scar tissue, but all benign. I'm so relieved!

Also astonished at how difficult this was. Both the PA at my surgeon's office and the radiologist who did my scans seemed confident it would be scar tissue. The problem area matched several characteristics listed in two different articles I found on fat necrosis after breast surgery and radiation. And from spending time on these forums I've learned that scar tissue scares are not at all uncommon, so I've almost been expecting it to happen to me eventually. Yet even with all that, it took every coping strategy I have learned in the past 4 years to make it through the past 30 hours without having an anxiety attack. I was just as shaken and apprehensive and terrified as I was waiting for the biopsy results that indicated cancer. I wonder if it will ever get any easier.

May 17, 2022 09:58PM - edited May 17, 2022 10:08PM by sun-shine

Hi Purplecat,

That's a good news. I am happy for you!

Surgery 10/29/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Simple Hormonal Therapy 3/26/2022 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Chemotherapy 3/31/2022 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 18, 2022 12:21AM cathy67 wrote:

purplecat,

So good news, I just experienced exactly samething myself, happy for you.

Cathy

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 18, 2022 05:24AM rah2464 wrote:

Purplecat what wonderful news! Sorry for the scare but so happy to hear benign

Dx 5/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/27/2018 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

May 18, 2022 11:49AM threetree wrote:

Purplecat - I am just so, so happy for you! What a scare, and I think all of your worry and anxiety being just as bad as it was for the original diagnosis was normal and to be expected. Whew, what a relief you must feel now.

I'm also real glad you were able to get some support at least from the people here, in spite of what an abominable mess this site has become.

Onward and upward - wishing you nothing but more luck ahead!

May 20, 2022 07:43AM purplecat wrote:

Thanks, everyone! I’ve really appreciated the support. Threetree, I’ve noticed some changes in the look of the forum but not really any other glitches. But I tend to be away for long stretches, log back in when something comes up, then stick around for a while to pass on to newbies and others the same support I’ve been given. It does seem like things have quieted down a lot since I last spent time here, even in the introductory forums. There are hardly any active newbies to support. I wondered what was going on. Hope it all settles out soon.

May 20, 2022 04:08PM cathy67 wrote:

purplecat,

I made quite similar planning. Just noticed both of us jonined 10 years ago due to 1st suspicion, then back in 2018 and 2019 for real disease, and back this spring for another suspicion, and got clear news...

This is the only forum that I've stayed for 10 years.

Cathy

Oncotype 6, Dx 08/06/2019, IDC, Right, 2.1 cm, Grade2, 1/1 nodes,ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2019 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 20, 2022 05:55PM salamandra wrote:

YAY! I am so glad to read this.

Anxiety is a beast. I had some abnormal blood tests and waiting for my primary care doctor to call me about them, I googled them and half convinced myself I might have leukemia. (She said she thought it was probably mono or something and she was referring me to a hematologist but she's not concerned). Our minds get into ruts, I think, and my mind has definitely carved itself a nice comfortable anxiety rut to roll into at any provocation.

But anyway, YAY!!!

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

May 21, 2022 07:30AM purplecat wrote:

Thanks, Cathy - I hadn’t noticed that similarity, but that’s exactly what happened: I joined the forum because I needed an biopsy of something that turned out to be benign, and then six years later found my way back for real cancer. Hope this is the last scare for both of us, or at least that all the others continue to be benign! Salamandra, that’s exactly what it’s like: my mind gets into a rut and can’t climb out no matter how much reassuring evidence I have. Glad it’s not just me!

Page 3 of 3 (30 results)

Scroll to top button