Join Us

We are 216,717 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Shadow in chest is recurrence

Forum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis —

Meet others who are just facing the diagnosis of a recurrence of breast cancer or metastatic (advanced) disease. You are NOT alone.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2017 10:32AM

jackboo09 wrote:

Hi

I am due to have a CT scan biopsy of a 29mm shadow in chest tomorrow. Having been told 50/50 chance, they have said this morning that it is highly likely to be Mets and not operable.

I have 3 teenagers and a fully supportive family. Positives: small mass and no evidence yet of other mets although I haven't had a full bone scan yet just the neck to pelvis area CT.

consultant talked about new treatment options from 6 years ago when I was dx with IDC with node involvement and 2cm breast lump. She said not curable and their aim was to get me back to living my life and said years. Is this just what they tell you.

I am hours on only from this news. Crying a lot. Can anyone add any positives.

Liz ( jack boo)

Stage 2b Her 2 + Est + one pos node Age 40 Dx 3/15/2017, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, ER+, HER2+

Page 49 of 49 (1,444 results)

Posts 1441 - 1444 (1,444 total)

May 8, 2020 08:10PM marianelizabeth wrote:

Liz, it has been very quiet and it's nice to see you here. It has been very quiet and it's nice to see you here. It sounds as though you are doing OK. Do you have any side effects from your Herceptin injections? I love it that many of you are out gardening and I know the weather has been pretty good in BC as Moth and Elderberry say. I was trying to also get out and do sitting down weeding for 10 or 15 minutes at a time as well as supervising my husband for a lot more work in the garden. I had him move some bushes from the front that deer were eating last year and then this year so now they are safely in our back garden where we have deer fencing.

JoJo, I too am using dictation and my daughter's partner installed Dragon on my computer a couple of weeks ago though I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. The regular Mac dictation is frustrating and takes time because I keep having to go back and fix things. It seems to double everything too which makes dictation hardly worth it, the pain gets so bad.

I am thinking that you and I may have some things in common that I did not notice before. I will go back to your blog and see but my advanced cancer or metastatic cancer whatever, was caused by the tumour entangling with the neurovascular bundle of the right brachial plexus. I can move my arm but I have had no use of my hand almost since the beginning of MBC three years ago plus the pain increases the problem. In fact that was what started the investigation, first thought to be lymphedema as I did have terrible swelling but pain was unusual.

When I last wrote the pain has increased and they kept increasing the dosage of the Fentanyl in my intrathecal pain pump which was embedded in September. I am probably repeating all of this but it helps me try to see where we have similarities. All through April the pain got worse and worse. Finally on April 28th even with boluses of extra medications that I can administer myself with a device, I could not stop the pain which was unbearable and honestly 28th even with boluses of extra medications that I can administer myself with a device, I felt like killing myself. I waited out the terrible pain to the point where I could call hospice and they conferred, called me back and said they had an acute care bed which I which I was surprised at, but took it even though I had to be here an hour later for admission. I am still here and after a CT and MRI in the last week, it turns out that there was nothing wrong with the catheter in the intrathecal space and the only thing suggested was to change the medication to a drug called Sufentanil which is pretty much the strongest opioid in the world other than carfentanyl which yes, we have all heard about from the black market although it is really used for elephants and I am not an elephant haha. The med change was started only yesterday. I am also getting ketamine. The latest method is through my nostrils and I will be able to go home with that method. There's a lot more to say but I'm still getting my head around it. I had thought that with the pain pump that worked well for six months that I would be able to get back to my normal life sort of. The exacerbation of pain changed all of that and my life now looks like a sedentary one and I will be in bed or lying around most of the time. Right now just going to the bathroom allows me to do perhaps one thing then go back to bed and go back to try to brush my teeth and wash my face. Last week I felt as though I could not live like that but only in the last day or so have I realized that I really do want to live despite all the restrictions that will happen. There is more but I think I will leave it at this for now. Jo, I am not sure how much we have in common now as I think your cancer has gotten much worse whereas mine is stable at the moment even though I know it could appear anytime. The crazy pain in what I a dealing with.

This has taken an hour to write as dictation became hopeless. Also being on serious drugs does not help! Please tell me what method you use Jo.

I hope at least that you can understand this.Love to you all,

Marian

breastcancereh.blogspot.ca Surgery 9/7/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/15/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/5/2013 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/29/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/7/2013 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 12/6/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/12/2016 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 6/26/2017 Reconstruction (right) Radiation Therapy 9/8/2017 Surgery 9/9/2019

May 9, 2020 01:39AM Bright55 wrote:

Hi Marianelizabeth sending warm huggs from Australia

You have given a lot of inner strength to write your progress letter

Im still plodding along .losts of gardening and beach walks to keep me occupied

..weather here is indian summer very warm for May roses are still budding... last week even snow fell down south but no one to enjoy the fresh dumps due to lock down and winter cooler days nextweek

Everyone is eager to get out and about ...today i had my first take away coffee since early feb.

Pic of Happy visit from king parrots

Love Bright in hope

Dx 2011, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2016, Right, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 10/4/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Mastectomy: Right

May 20, 2020 04:53PM Elderberry wrote:

Marian: popping in to say "Hi" and I often wonder how you are doing. Are you home yet? Having "crazy pain" is cruel and unfair. I know it is an effort for you to dictate so I'll check in periodically to see how you are faring.

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

May 23, 2020 08:50PM - edited May 23, 2020 08:56PM by marianelizabeth

Bright, where in Oz do you live? Your birds are so wonderful and I love the king parrot you posted.

Elderberry, how did you come up with your avatar? Thanks for dropping in. As for the crazy pain I know I am lucky to have had the embedded pain pump surgery in the fall. I just never expected to have had it increase like it did and to lose yet even more independence. I have always been active and independent and the 8 years of cancer had me learn a lot about myself and others too. This latest blow though has taken me right back to the stages of grief. I am angry and sad within minutes at times. I have yet to find a way to see past this. My home care nurse today did put in a referral to a counsellor at the hospice I have been in and I know her from those times. I hope professional help will help before I push my family away. Actually my daughter and partner support the counsellor idea and in general are very helpful. My husband has been good too with everything he has to do but is silent when it comes to getting help or discussion about my cancer.

Fucking cancer eh

breastcancereh.blogspot.ca Surgery 9/7/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/15/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/5/2013 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/29/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/7/2013 External: Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 12/6/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 12/12/2016 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 6/26/2017 Reconstruction (right) Radiation Therapy 9/8/2017 Surgery 9/9/2019

Page 49 of 49 (1,444 results)