Join Us

We are 218,114 members in 84 forums discussing 160,905 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Shadow in chest is recurrence

Forum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis —

Meet others who are just facing the diagnosis of a recurrence of breast cancer or metastatic (advanced) disease. You are NOT alone.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2017 03:32PM

jackboo09 wrote:

Hi

I am due to have a CT scan biopsy of a 29mm shadow in chest tomorrow. Having been told 50/50 chance, they have said this morning that it is highly likely to be Mets and not operable.

I have 3 teenagers and a fully supportive family. Positives: small mass and no evidence yet of other mets although I haven't had a full bone scan yet just the neck to pelvis area CT.

consultant talked about new treatment options from 6 years ago when I was dx with IDC with node involvement and 2cm breast lump. She said not curable and their aim was to get me back to living my life and said years. Is this just what they tell you.

I am hours on only from this news. Crying a lot. Can anyone add any positives.

Liz ( jack boo)

Stage 2b Her 2 + Est + one pos node Age 40 Dx 3/15/2017, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, ER+, HER2+

Page 50 of 50 (1,475 results)

Posts 1471 - 1475 (1,475 total)

Oct 14, 2020 03:12AM Elderberry wrote:

marianelizabeth: I don't know how I totally missed your question back in May. Or maybe I did so please forgive me repeating myself. Years ago CBC ran a radio show called "Dead Dog Cafe". It was written and performed by First Nations actors. It was hilarious. They invited people to send in their names and receive an "Indian" name . Christian first name. Attribute second name. Last name would be mineral, flora, fauna etc. I got the name Katie Maternal Elderberry. I loved it. Elderberry is a healing plant. It is also a sacred plant (The Elder is the Lady's tree, burn it not or cursed be) I was very pleased. It seemed like a good name to use.

I am looking forward to seeing your 1920's outfit. Do you watch Phryne Fisher Mysteries? Her clothes are so gorgeous, I can watch the same episode over and over just to look at the clothes. Eye popping, jaw dropping fabulous.

Hello to everyone else!!

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Oct 14, 2020 05:53AM Sadiesservant wrote:

Hi Marion.

It’s good to hear from you although I am at you too seem to be dealing with challenging situations. It hasn’t happened to me often but I can relate to struggling, feeling a bit wretched and things just not going in my favour. Fatigue makes it much harder to bear. Sending hugs and hopes that a bit of exercise will help improve things. (That is one advantage I have. Sitting is not an option with Sadie.)

I have a call with my RO Friday morning and must admit I am anxious to get in with treatment. While the steroids have been very helpful, completely knocking out the headaches at 4 mg, now that I have tapered to 2 mg I can already feel the pain/ headaches starting to return. This after only 2 days on the lower dose. I’m sure that without the steroid I will right back to where I was but, at the same time, I can’t abide taking them. They are impacting me in so many negative ways with chronic insomnia, mouth issues, lack of taste... argh. Talk about the lesser of evils!

Work a bit calmer today and hoping to take some time off over the next couple of days. Wish me luck!

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/10/2001 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/7/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/20/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/20/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/18/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/9/2019 Verzenio

Oct 18, 2020 12:43AM Sadiesservant wrote:

Hi All,

Just a quick update. Met with my RO and she’s recommending a series of five daily treatments of the mets at the base of my skull and top of my c-spine. Surprisingly, she does not recommend zapping the mets on my right occipital bone - I think the potential for collateral damage is high. Planning CT will likely take place sometime next week and then radiation starts about three days later. (I had to laugh. She said she could do something quick or could take a fancier approach to planning which will provide a more accurate, directed beam. Um.... I’m good with fancy. Rather avoid a shot gun approach!)

I have to admit that I am nervous. The list of potential side effects is dauntingly long and a bit scary. There are a whole host of potential “short term” impacts that can last for a couple of months including a sore throat (couple of weeks), pain flare for a few days, fluid in my ears, sinus drainage which requires irrigation, hair loss (possibly permanent) and fatigue to the point that apparently I might nod off in the middle of a meeting if I’m not actively engaged. That should prove interesting. The most worrisome to me is potential reduction in my short term memory capabilities as there is no way to avoid radiating the brain to some extent. She does feel my age and concerted effort to use my brain (mind puzzles here we go) is in my favour.

So, there we are. Sometimes it all seems surreal to be in a place to have to make decisions about such impactful treatments. On the one hand, things seem to be holding steady but on the other hand there is clearly something going on with my skull mets. Things are quickly going downhill again now that the steroid is reduced in dosage. Pretty sure things will be back to where I was at a few weeks ago so not sure I really have a choice. Let’s hope that daunting list is just speculation.

Wish me luck!

Pat

Dx 4/2001, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/10 nodes, ER+ Surgery 5/10/2001 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/7/2001 CEF Radiation Therapy 12/17/2001 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2001 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2007 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 10/22/2007 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/3/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/27/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/28/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 4/20/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Dx 10/12/2017, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 10/20/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 11/15/2017 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 1/18/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 8/2/2018 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 11/5/2018 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 10/9/2019 Verzenio

Oct 18, 2020 05:04PM moth wrote:

Hi Marian, glad you were able to update us in spite of the challenges. Yes, I am on Taxol. The icing I'm doing is really keeping the neuropathy at bay so I'm not sure how long my MO will keep me on it. She said originally until the neuropathy gets too bad but it's not getting bad. I'm knitting a silly little diamond pattern on small dpns & my dexteritiy is fine. My nails and fingertips feel a bit bruised but no loss of function. (helping my dd with a project she embarked on - one of thsoe crazy patchwork pieces where you make a bunch of little things and then stitch them together, to either make a blanket or lap blanket or a cat bed...depending on how quickly you run out of steam on making the little pieces lol)

I think it's *because* I can't taste things that I'm gaining weight - I keep craving things and nothing satisfies so I just eat, and eat some more in some hope that something will satisfy. Towards the end of a 28 day cycle, somewhere around day 23, I have sometimes tasted stuff and that's been nice.

Enjoy your chemo break! And all the wedding prep! How exciting and magical. It all sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy yourselves (take your walks but also take your rest breaks and naps!)

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab)

Oct 18, 2020 05:09PM moth wrote:

Pat, ugh, yikes, that does sound scary. It sounds like the RO has a great plan though. The side effects - well, let's hope they skip you by. We just never know when we go in how it will all turn out. The headaches sound so awful & being on dex for any length of time sucks so this definitely sounds like the only sensible solution...but anything near brain stuff is scary, isn't it? Your clever, active brain has already, I'm sure, built in lots of workarounds so it's reasonable to hope you'll bounce back good as new.

hugs

Initial dx at 50. Seriously???? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: nevertellmetheodds2017.tumblr.... Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/18/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab)

Page 50 of 50 (1,475 results)