We are 194,806 members in 81 forums discussing 144,032 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis → Topic: Many questions especially about differences in chemo for mets?

Topic: Many questions especially about differences in chemo for mets?

Forum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis —

Meet others who are just facing the diagnosis of a recurrence of breast cancer or metastatic (advanced) disease. You are NOT alone.

Posted on: Oct 10, 2017 08:33PM - edited Oct 16, 2017 02:08PM by ceci4555

ceci4555 wrote:

Hi, I'm new around here. I was diagnosed with stage 1C ductal carcinoma (oestrogen and progesterone positive, HER2 negative) in 2009. I was treated with chemotherapy which included doxorubicin, radiotherapy and 5 years of arimidex. I lived disease and symptoms free for around 6 or 7 years until I started having body pains which I assumed were due to arimidex, age and falls I've had had. It turns out on year 8 that they just discovered many bone mets in my spine, hip, femur etc which I assume have been there for longer.

Biopsy is not possible to check for changes in inmunohistochemical markers. I will have a PET scan done eventually but have to go abroad for it and will get CT scans to check for other organ mets. I have so many questions.

I was told by some doctors that not all mets are treated with chemotherapy, I wonder which are and which aaren't?

Assuming I had mets in other organs and needed chemo, what kind is usually given in these cases? Would I be getting the same treatment I got the first time?

Will I lose my hair again?

I know it's bad seen to talk about survival statistics, but what are they really? My doctor will always change the subject when I try to ask or says to wait for test results. I need to know what I'm facing or my anxiety will kill me before the cancer does. Assuming I had mets everywhere (only many bones have been confirmed so far but I suspect lung or liver mets), how long on average would I have to live? But most importantly what kind of treatment would I get aside from radiotherapy and zoledronic acid which have already been confirmed to me (I mean chemo-wise).

What has been your experience with second time chemo? Did you get the same side effects as the first time?

Is there anyone around here with multiple-organ mets that has survived more than 3 years? 5? Or is it a matter of weeks/months?

Also I don't know much about targetted and inmuno therapies or when they apply.

Thanks in advance for the help. I really thought I was gonna be a survivor, I was healthy for so long and now my world is falling apart and all during cancer month awareness

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Oct 10, 2017 11:22PM Meow13 wrote:

I can't speak for myself I am 6 years NED, however one of my coworkers dx with ilc had hip bone mets and she had radiation for treatment. Originally, her oncodx score was a 4. She had been taking tamoxifen for treatment.

Oct 11, 2017 01:21AM jensgotthis wrote:

It's important to keep breathing. Come visit the Bone Mets Thread and you'll find a wonderful group of women living full lives with bone mets and some that have bone + other organ mets. Many hold chemo for down the road as the goal with stage 4 is to keep mets stable for as long as possible. A common first line therapy, depending on receptor type, is a targeted therapy like a Ibrancr along with a hormonal drug like letrozole. This is a new regime and it's giving many patients many more months and years. Don't dwell on the stats that are out there - they are old and don't seperate by receptor type or take into account new drugs. I have a dear friend living with bone mets and lung mets for 15 years. Take this one day at a time for right now. Come to the stage 4 threads and you'll find lots of info and support

Jennifer, 42, Los Angeles Dx 12/3/2015, IDC: Tubular, Left, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/5/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/2/2016 External: Bone Hormonal Therapy 5/24/2016 Surgery 5/25/2016 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 9/14/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2016 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy

Oct 11, 2017 04:14AM ceci4555 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your answer, it gives me some hope. The issue with targeted therapy in this case is that we couldn't get a biopsy and the oncologist says hormonal and generic status may have changed but we can't know how or for sure so far.

I'm trying to take this one day at a time but I have severe anxiety and depression from the first cancer diagnosis and I'm losing my head. I'll keep coming to the forums. Thank you this means a lot.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)