Join Us

We are 218,169 members in 84 forums discussing 160,928 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mets to bone and pleura.

Forum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis —

Meet others who are just facing the diagnosis of a recurrence of breast cancer or metastatic (advanced) disease. You are NOT alone.

Posted on: Apr 16, 2020 11:59AM - edited Apr 16, 2020 12:00PM by laastra

laastra wrote:

I recently had a biopsy of my hip bone and it came back and it is a recurrence of my original breast cancer. It is still the exact same ER+PR+HER2- Grade 2. My oncologist seemed just as shocked as I was but explained that this spread must have been there to some degree all along, and it was being kept under control by the Tamoxifen, but some cells may have become resistant to Tamoxifen, allowing the spread. I don't know how certain that is but it is a possibility. I had Oncotype score 13 so it was determined that chemo would not have affected the chances of recurrence that much. So I was just on the bad side of the probability. Trying to take it a day at a time..but i'm hanging on an emotional thread tipping one way and another. I have to now get a PET/CT and he wants to get a brain MRI because I have had worsening headaches..just to rule anything out there. And he went over my next steps for treatment. Have to get a shot next to shut my ovaries down.

I don't know how to feel it's all just a lot. Luckily working from home right now and it is easier to deal with that. I'm afraid of having to keep going out for treatments and appointments and scans and hospitals while this virus is going on though. Especially if I have to take things that affect my ability to fight infection. Everything feels like it is falling apart at once. And I have lung involvement so I think that COVID-19 would affect me badly if I got it. I do have a plan but it's a lot to deal with. My doctor gave me some Xanax..going to need that. I don't know how I should handle having my mom come with me to appointments. So far I haven't gone with her but they said she can come to the chemo education session. There are just otherwise limits on people coming with you. Thanks for listening.

IDC-L multifocal. age 33. Dx 11/3/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 3/18/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/15/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy 4/24/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)

Posts 1 - 25 (25 total)

Apr 16, 2020 01:14PM Moderators wrote:

laastra,

We just wanted to say we're so sorry to hear of this recent diagnosis. We know it is pretty tough and overwhelming right now, but just know we are all here for you. Our Stage IV crew here is extremely helpful and will definitely be a welcome audience for your questions and concerns. Please don't hesitate to reach out as much as you need to.

Sending love,

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Apr 16, 2020 08:18PM laastra wrote:

Thank you. It is tough and overwhelming. <3 I have been reading on this site about the treatments I'm getting and it's helpful to know. I will have to read/join the conversation in the Stage IV group.

IDC-L multifocal. age 33. Dx 11/3/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 3/18/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/15/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/17/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant), Zoladex (goserelin) Targeted Therapy 4/24/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Apr 17, 2020 12:03AM vlnrph wrote:

Yes, do go over to the stage IV/metastatic forum. So sorry that you have all this going on during the pandemic.

Don't hesitate to try the alprazolam when things get to be too much.

With your young age, has there been any genetic counseling? Sometimes, knowing whether a mutation is present can help determine therapy options...

IDC too! 🎻💊👪🐩 🇫🇮 🌹🦋 Rt MX+DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema 9-2011; switch to letrozole 3-2014 for 1 yr; bone mets 8-2018: Zometa, rads to spine, Faslodex/Versenio Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 17, 2020 07:26AM laastra wrote:

thank you. Yes, they did do genetic counseling at the beginning to determine if I was BRCA positive and I think they looked at a few other things. But it all came back negative. I had thought it could be a possibility that genetics were a factor because my mom and grandma both had breast cancer. So, I really don't know on that front. They are going to do Ibrance so I don't know if the CDK4(?) expression is part of the whole genetics thing or whether they just tested for that in my biopsy.

May 4, 2020 04:35PM KBeee wrote:

There is "second generation" testing they can do on your tumor which will reveal a lot about the genetics of it. Some insurances will cover it and some won't. I know Foundation One is one brand. There are others, but I can't think of them. Semi-related, you also can see how many things they tested you for on the genetics side. They initially only tested me for about 6 (all negative), but later, I got testing for over 20 more, and have a VUS in CHEK2. I have a strong family history, and have had multiple docs tell me there is likely a genetic component; we just don't know exactly what it is yet. Thinking of you.

Karen. Dx 8/5/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/26/2013 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 9/20/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/12/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 1/23/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 1/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 2/2/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/25/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/25/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/31/2015 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

May 5, 2020 05:06PM laastra wrote:

Thank you KBeee! I will try to see how much they tested in my original genetic testing.

This is all just wild. They just did a PET scan and it looks like there was progression just in the past month. I feel so weird and like things are just out of control. I started treatment over a week ago with Zoladex then Faslodex and Ibrance. I hope it starts to work soon. It seems like everything was fine for so long and now it's just quickly progressing. I don't know what to think.

May 20, 2020 05:22PM berries wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear. I have no words other than I am keeping you in my heart. I was diagnosed at 34 and it has not been easy. Therapy has helped. Trying to understand 'why?' has not because there will never be an answer.

Sending you love.

Dx 8/6/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/18/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 10/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 2/17/2020 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 3/30/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 4/29/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 5/7/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 20, 2020 06:21PM laastra wrote:

Thank you berries. I will have to look in to therapy definitely. Sending love to you too.

May 21, 2020 06:13PM - edited May 21, 2020 06:37PM by GiGiL

I had stage IIA ER+/PR+ 0/3 nodes in 2011. I had a lumpectomy and radiation. I have been going along fine until the past six months when I have had frequent and persistent rib pain. I had. CT scan today and the report was that there are sclerotic foci on several vertebra and some small nodules in the lungs, the largest being 3 mm. Ribs looks good except one old break and one new break which is healing. I have an appointment with a BC oncologist next week. I am in shock today and shaking inside. I don't quite know what to expect for what tests I might be facing initially. Any input or idea about what might be in my immediate future will be greatly appreciated. Thsnks

Dx 5/6/2011, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 22, 2020 10:13PM AMLMom wrote:

Hi GiGiL, I'm so sorry to her your news. I'm sorry that I don't have any insights to share, but I did want to say that I'm so so sorry that you are facing this.

Dx 11/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/13/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 25, 2020 12:55AM GiGiL wrote:

AMLMOM thank you for your kind words. I have an initial appointment with a MO on Thursday May 28. I am filled with fear and trepidation

May 25, 2020 03:05AM jcp wrote:

hi GiGil. This is JCP. I cant stand that you and many others like myself had no trouble for quite a few years and them boom , an issue comes up. I dont know what sclerotic focii is but I have from chest xray what has been called an area of calcifications, then called a node with calcifications, and then last a pulmonologist said it was a lymph node w calcifications. I had follow up finally Thursday May 21w CT scan. I am waiting on report. How do you know if the nodes are bad or okay that were very small? I'm hoping for a complete healing for you. I am shaking in my boots right now, scared as hell, about results of thoracic CT. How did you get your results that quick? I think you will feel better when you get to the dr and have a plan. It is great that you are seeing a Breast ca oncologist. My onc treats all different cancers. I think that is in your favor big time! I'm so sorry and I will pray for you definitely! A note of inspiration my mom got dx w br ca in 1987. She eventually got in bones probably seven or eight years later. Well, she lived and when I say lived I mean a really good quality of life for 19 years! Back then it was pretty remarkable. It had been In her bones for 12 years and she did so much! The unbelievable thing is she had no pain almost the entire time w her bones which is very unusual with multiple and I mean multiple bones places affected. She was only on chemo one time in 1987 when first dx and the rest of the years it was anti hormonal pills. I mean she did have years of scanning and I so admire her bravery and years of blood work testing CEA and CA125 I believe. It was stressful but she went back to work bc she wanted to. She also watched my son later when she left her job after five years. They had a fantastic grandma and grandson relationship. He was young and she could never get enough of him! She traveled some, but most important to her she spent time w her 4 children and two grandchildren . I was so very close to her and went to so many scans and dr spots and infusions to help her bones, etc.i even took my son and he would watch when she had to have blood taken and was right by her side. Anyway there is do many new treatments now. You will do fine. Praying . Hugs Susan JCP

May 27, 2020 09:52PM AMLMom wrote:

GiGiL, Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I imagine the past few days have been difficult to get through. Again, so sorry you are facing this. I hope your tests go well and that you get a good treatment plan in place soon. Please keep us posted. Hugs.

Dx 11/2018, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/13/2019 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

May 28, 2020 11:43AM laastra wrote:

GiGiL - I know how you feel, and I know the shock. I can feel fine one minute, but the next minute everything hits me. I will say I am slowly gaining my footing as I get into more of a routine with the treatment, but at the beginning it was an especially deep sense of uncertainty and fear.

For me - after they decided they needed to look into the possibility of mets, I had the CT scan first like you. I had the CT and a bone scan the same day and between them that showed the lesions in the hip, vertebra, and lining of the lungs. In my case they also did a brain MRI, but only because I had been having worsening headaches (headaches have gotten better and there was nothing in brain).

The next step after that was a bone biopsy - they went in to the hip area, the procedure was easier than I thought because they put me under light anesthetic and it was over very quickly. It was CT-guided. This will tell whether your cancer recurrence is the same type as it was originally or if there is anything that has changed. In my case it was the same type as the original one that we treated at Stage 1 3 years ago. Your oncologist may also order a PET scan to get a better look at the extent of the disease, the PET scan will light up where there is cancer because the cancer spots show more uptake of the fluid that they inject. For me, that showed all disease in greater detail and confirmed that certain suspicious areas from the CT scan were cancer. This scan just involved an IV injection of fluid and also an oral contrast.

Because my cancer was still ER+/PR+/HER2- and I had been taking tamoxifen when we found the recurrence, I started on Faslodex (to limit estrogen in the body) and Ibrance (a targeted therapy to stop cancer cells from growing in ER+ cancer). In every case treatment may be different, depending on the hormone characteristics and HER2 characteristics of your cancer. Also it is different depending on what kind of treatments you have already done. Targeted therapies often come in pill form unlike the regular IV chemo. I have started on the Ibrance, which is just a pill I take daily in cycles of 3 weeks and then off 1 week. I am supposed to go in every month for the Faslodex which is 2 injections into the butt muscle on either side. You may have a different kind of treatment depending on the characteristics of your recurrence. But there is a lot of information on this site that is helpful and personal accounts of experience in the forums that are really helpful.

I am thinking of you today and hope you come away from your appointment with more of a sense of direction..it was so hard waiting between the first appointments to find out more of what the plan was going to be. Sending love to you and hope it all goes as well as it can.

Jun 5, 2020 05:13PM GiGiL wrote:

Thank you AMLMom, mco,and laastra for your kind replies. I had a meeting with my Onco a week ago. He says he is highly suspicious of Mets. Her ordered a mammo with ultrasound, and a PET scan. I will have that done next week. I went in and looked at my lab today. It all looked real good except for CA27-29 which is elevated to 171. Physician’s exam could find no enlarged lymph nodes or breast lumps. I know the areas on my spine and the CA27-29 are not very encouraging. I am more than a little freaked out right now. Am not trying to alarm my sisters and my kids until I know more. My husband works a lot and I try not to lay too much of my emotional stuff on him when he has to concentrate. Thanks for listening and thanks for your help and support

Jun 5, 2020 08:53PM Sunshine99 wrote:

I find the CEA and CA 27-29 numbers to be interesting. My first oncologist, (now retired) didn't count them, and my new oncologist orders them, but is not concerned when they've been creeping up. Mine have never been as high as your 171 number. I seem to recall some comments on this forum that some docs don't think they mean anything.

My mets were found after I found a lump in my armpit, but my CA 27-29 was still well below the "normal" cutoff range. I hope you get some answers after your tests and scans next week.

Hugs to you.

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 6, 2020 01:38AM GiGiL wrote:

Thank you Sunshine. It is interesting to hear your experience and perspective on this. I put BC out of my mind for the past 9 years. Now I am having to learn about a lot of new things

Jun 6, 2020 12:08PM BevJen wrote:

Hi, GiGil,

I had my first met 2 1/2 years out from original diagnosis -- that was in 2006 and it was a single site metastasis to my cervix. Then I was put on letrozole (chemo had thrown me into menopause in 2004) and stayed on that until May 2019. (Talk about putting BC out of your mind for years!) In May 2018, my CA27-29 started creeping up -- first into the 50s, then into the 90s, then up to 180 -- that took about 7 mos. My MO and a consulting MO who I talked to said that something was probably "brewing." I research and researched about TMs, and saw the comments here about how some docs don't do them, some ignore them, some people don't have elevated TMs, etc. The one thing that stuck with me, and I'm sorry to tell you this, was that if they are over 100, then it is highly likely that it's metastasis. In May 2019, I had a CT and a nuclear bone scan. The CT showed a shadow in my liver. The subsequent MRI showed some spots in my liver. The largest was biopsied and it was the same cancer as in 2003. And the story began again.

I think you are going to have to take a deep breath and assume that there is something going on in your body. I know that's not comforting, and that's why I hesitated to write this, but if you assume that, and prepare for that, and if you are that one person for whom it's not true, that might better help you figure out next steps. What I discovered after a lot of reading is that there are many new treatments available for BC, and some people are getting a lot of years out of just one treatment before they move on to the next.

Good luck. Please do not hesitate to PM me if I can be of any further help.

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 8/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jun 9, 2020 09:44PM GiGiL wrote:

Thanks BevJen. I appreciate your insight. I had a 3D mammogram and ultrasound yesterday. The radiologist did the ultrasound. She found no areas of concern in either breast. She did find a fat necrosis around the lumpectomy area. She said that was totally benign also. So, tomorrow is the PET scan. Time will tell, I guess.

Jun 10, 2020 09:40PM AMLMom wrote:

Hi GiGiL, I'm sorry I have been off the boards for a few weeks and am just getting caught up. I'm glad that your ultrasound was good. Best wishes for you PET scan. We are standing beside you in spirit.

Jun 15, 2020 10:28AM GiGiL wrote:

Hi ladies. Well PET scan showed several areas of activity in my bones. I couldn’t get my oncologist to be specific, he seemed in a hurry and not wanting to get into details. He did say organs are free and the next step is a bone biopsy. It will be CT guided. Having the inquiring mind that I do, how can they get to you to do the biopsy, if you are in the tube? And what is twilight sedation like? I always cope better when I know what to expect. Thank you all for caring.

Jun 15, 2020 11:15AM DodgersGirl wrote:

GiGiL— I had a CT guided bone biopsy in January.

I was given mild sedation but was not asleep. I laid on the bench for the CT. The techs got me lined up for the doctor. The actual biopsy part took about 15 mins. I felt pressure but not pain. When it was over, I had a band aid at the site.

For me personally, the doctor hit something that I would equate to dental work and hitting a nerve. I jerked (mildly) and doctor muttered something about “you felt that”? And then the process was done.

I don’t think it is common to have that brief sensation so please don’t worry about your procedure.

The bone biopsy was quick and mostly just pressure from getting a bone biopsy. I was fine right afterwards. Went on with my day as usual.

Sorry you are on this path but hoping for you a successful treatment plan.

Dx 3/10/2017, IDC: Mucinous, Right, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/11/2017 Mastectomy: Right Dx 12/2019, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 15, 2020 11:41AM Sunshine99 wrote:

Hi GiGil, my experience was nearly the same as DodgersGirl. At first they thought I was getting a bone MARROW biopsy, but I told them I thought it was supposed to be a biopsy of the lesion at L4 or L5. Both the nurse and the doctor thought the same. I guess the orders weren't clear. Anyway, they did realize that it was not, in fact, a bone marrow biopsy. I'm glad I knew what they were supposed to be doing.

Once I laid on the table in a prone position, they positioned my arms over my head, and loosely strapped them in place. I remember the nurse saying, "Here's your party juice" and that was all I remembered. I was in recovery for maybe 30-45 minutes and then I went home. All in all, it was an easy process.

I, too, am sorry you're on this path. Keep us informed. This is one of the best places for information and support. I have about 10 "Favorite" threads on this forum. They've been very helpful.

Wishing you the very best.

Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 15, 2020 02:41PM BevJen wrote:

Gigil,

I assume that they are doing a bone biopsy to determine if your cancer has morphed. You may want to ask also, since they are doing a biopsy, if you can get Foundation One or Caris genomic testing at the same time. Those organizations have specific requirements for what they need from a biopsy sample. If that is not available, then you might inquire about genomic testing through a blood sample. It will be important to know what is going on with your bones, if they can figure that out, because that can guide your treatment plan. Also, it's not something you can add on at the last minute, to my knowledge, so ask in advance about it.

Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+ Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 8/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jun 16, 2020 01:33AM GiGiL wrote:

Thank you all for the information and the hints about genomic testing. I will definitely look into that. Mostly, thanks for caring. I am still reeling at the prospect of being back into active treatment again. I tend to be very skittish about procedures, so my next challenge is to get past the bone biopsy. GiG

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)