Topic: IDC in dermis — what stage does that mean?

Forum: Just Diagnosed With a Recurrence or Metastasis — Meet others who are just facing the diagnosis of a recurrence of breast cancer or metastatic (advanced) disease. You are NOT alone.

Posted on: Jul 17, 2021 01:15PM - edited Jul 17, 2021 01:16PM by dres123

Posted on: Jul 17, 2021 01:15PM - edited Jul 17, 2021 01:16PM by dres123

dres123 wrote:

Hi everyone—I'm posting on behalf of my wife. She recently had a recurrence of IDC in two places. The first tumor was not actually a recurrence but thought to be a residual from tissue not taken during her single mx. That first tumor had a mix of DCIS and IDC so our onc explained that it still is contained within the Brest tissue. The second tumor was entirely IDC and was found in the dermis and subcutaneous tissue at about “10 o'clock"

I'm having trouble understanding how the IDC in the dermis would be staged. Our onc said that it typically isn't restaged but wanted to know that's the case. She was stage 1A prior to the recurrence and based on the size and pathology of the other tumor, she's probably be 2A now. Basically my question is, is it considered metastatic if it has spread to the dermis but still in her breast

Also, she's slated for TC chemo due to there not being clear margins and the KI-67 being relatively high (25%). She's HR+, HER2- — oncotype on repeat test is 14 compared to 11 before.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!

Page 2 of 2 (11 results)

Jul 24, 2022 12:03PM happyhiker1 wrote:

Just wondering if you have any info about dermis involvement, as I have been recently hit with a BC recurrence with pathology showing dermis and subdermis involvement. Am scheduled for mastectomy this next week, apparently the treatment when recurrence. It is difficult to get much info from my apparently very busy surgeon, but she said a total mastectomy necessary in such cases. Do you know if having dermis involvement is somehow more worrisome than other recurrences in same breast??

Page 2 of 2 (11 results)

Scroll to top button