Join Us

We are 217,585 members in 84 forums discussing 160,639 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: CALLING ALL STAGE I SISTERS

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Nov 6, 2009 01:34PM - edited Apr 6, 2018 11:42PM by sheila888

sheila888 wrote:

Sheila♥ Dx 4/8/2005, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 8/21/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/13/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 11/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 512 of 512 (15,344 results)

Posts 15331 - 15344 (15,344 total)

Jun 20, 2020 02:30PM Beaverntx wrote:

Yep, negative is our positive!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 9, 2020 12:19PM Lostpup2424 wrote:

I, too am a newbie. I just had a single mastectomy with reconstruction. I am Stage 1 also. It's been four days since surgery and I am very tired. I planned to return to work in two weeks but I'm wondering if that will be long enough. I am lucky and can take off as much time as needed so I am trying to decide whether or not to take another week.

Aug 9, 2020 05:06PM CeliaC wrote:

Lostpup - Two weeks seems like not enough time to me. I had a lumpectomy on a small tumor & 2 weeks was ok for me, on a limited schedule. With mastectomy & reconstruction, would think you will need longer. However, everyone heals/copes differently. You do what works for your body/mind. Healing thoughts and gentle hugs coming your way.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 9, 2020 09:54PM robinorbit wrote:

I have a lumpectomy scheduled for Friday 8/21 and am taking only the day of surgery off work. I’ll work at home the following week. Does this seem doable

Dx 9/3/2020, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC)

Aug 9, 2020 10:59PM CeliaC wrote:

robinorbit - Will they do any sentinel node biopsies? If so, this will likely be more troublesome from a recovery standpoint than the lumpectomy. My BS authorized 1 week off work for FMLA, but I took 2 weeks off & started working from home 8 days after surgery. Lumpectomy incision was coming along ok, but the sentinel node incision was still painful/very tender. When I returned to the office, it was only about 6 hours a day & used a small pillow under my arm to "cushion" the sentinel node incision. Everyone heals differently, though. Hope this info helps. Best wishes for a speedy recovery & clear margins.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 10, 2020 06:33PM farmerlucy wrote:

I had a lumpectomy/excisional biopsy/ partial mastectomy on a Thursday. On Saturday I went to a football game, but I was quite tired. By Monday I was good. It’s nice that you’ll be at home and hopefully able to take breaks.

When I had the mastectomy, reconstruction meant tissue expanded under the muscle. It was tough. I would not have been ready in two week, though it would been nice to have somethIng else to think about.

I had a separate lymph node biopsy. I don’t even remember any type of time needed for recovery from that. Of course I had already heard my diagnosis and was a complete wreck.

Best wishes everyone

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 11, 2020 04:02PM cassiecanada wrote:

Hey Robinorbit- you should be good to go !

I way overthought / over prepared for everything-

altho each person is different i fidnt need the

tylenol 3 and was shovelling snow 2 days later

( altho i wasnt supposed to- yikes)- the

general anasthesia wearing off was by far the

worst part

Aug 20, 2020 12:51AM - edited Aug 20, 2020 12:53AM by Joan811

robinorbit,
Good luck with your lumpectomy this week. It's been quite awhile since I had my lumpectomy for IDC. I had the surgery the last week in August. I went home soon after surgery.
I took the week off from work, plus Labor Day gave me a long week end. Then I returned to work. I felt fine. My breast was enlarged but not noticeable. I could also hear fluid sloshing around inside, which I was hoping nobody else was hearing. It was bizarre, but it stopped after a short time.
You are planning to work from home...you could feel tender and/or stiff if you will be sitting and maybe using a computer. I had axial nodes removed for testing (underarm, separate incision). Just pace yourself, and rest when you can during the first few days.
Your pathology will determine any further treatment. My surgeon told me before surgery that for lumpectomy I would have to have radiation. That started about 6 weeks after surgery. I continued working through radiation, and I took off occasionally on Fridays. The radiation did not make me tired. But the driving to work, leaving work and going for rads then driving home 5 days a week for 7 weeks kind of wore me out. There are many options now for getting radiation over shorter time periods.
It seemed very do-able for me to return to work full time and to go for the radiation. I worked at a college, and when January break came, I took two weeks to completely rest and relax. I needed it.
I hope everything goes smoothly and that your pathology report is favorable.
Best wishes,
Joan
============

((( Sheila)))

Courage is not choosing to be brave; it is standing firm in the face of adversity when choice is limited. Dx 7/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/30/2011 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Aug 20, 2020 06:31AM Lucy55 wrote:

Joan...Good to see you ! How are you ?

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/13/2014

Aug 20, 2020 10:38AM farmerlucy wrote:

((((Sheila))))

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/21/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/11/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/22/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/10/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/14/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Aug 20, 2020 01:45PM - edited Aug 20, 2020 01:52PM by Joan811

Hi Lucy55,
I am doing well. It has been a tough year for BCO old-timers...will send a PM.
I hope you are doing well and that the virus threat is getting better.
It will be 9 years (next week) since my Stage I lumpectomy. I am happy to say my surgeon's reassurance about all my concerns turned out to be well-founded so far!
I am glad to see that newly diagnosed ladies are finding this thread where they can talk about their upcoming procedures and concerns. I remember it well...all those questions and uncertainties.
I have made life-long friends here. My original thread from August 2011 has gone quiet but occasionally we touch base.
====
farmerlucy, you had quite a time with your BMX followed by dx. I am going to send a PM about your elective ovary removal.
====
My question remains -- why oh why have female cancers not been decoded for vaccine or cure? Yes, it's "treatable" but disrupts physical, emotional, family, social, and occupational life, to name a few.
Best wishes,
Joan

Courage is not choosing to be brave; it is standing firm in the face of adversity when choice is limited. Dx 7/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/30/2011 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2020 10:44PM Nadinenadine wrote:

Hi there my fellow Breast Cancer Sisters and Brothers...I am still cancer free after 11 years. In the beginning and for a long time I had a rough time with the reality of having BC. I did the 5 year drugs and gained a ton of weight. ( I have since lost it all and then some). I wrote a journal when I was up to it on my daily/and or weekly ways I felt. I have only opened it a couple of times over the years and to this day know it was the best thing I did to write it out. I have not been able to actually sit down and read it all. It was difficult times for me. Now all of the years later I will admit I have life long chemo brain and other side effects due to chemo. But over all things are a thousand times better for me. I decided against reconstruction. That was my personal choice and still feel the same on that choice. I wear bras that are more attractive than I did back before BC. I have a form that fits nicely into these "special" bras and unless I tell someone I have only one breast no one knows. My BC wasn't found by a mammo but rather a growth of a different sort that my primary doctor found. Within two weeks I had my surgery and had my breast removed. The thing I can't stress enough now is ask a lot of questions and ask even more questions. My cancer was found in a biopsy that was done. I was stage one. My surgeon didn't feel I would need to have chemo but was told to meet the chemo doctor anyways. Way that is where my questions were not coming out of my mouth. All I could think of was I had just lost a breast and now he wants to do chemo. My chemo was a rough road. Long story short I had no port but did beg the doctor to give me one since my veins were blown and I was a terrible sore mess and only limited to one arm for the chemo. He actually laughed at me and told me I was have way done with the treatments. Stupid me I didn't know where to turn or what to do and continued on. My very last treatment check up I fired him!!! I then got a different doctor who is a wonderful doctor and continues to this day to be my doctor. I see him once a year. He is my saving grace for sure!

Sep 14, 2020 08:05AM Joan811 wrote:

Hi Nadine,
Thanks for sharing your story. I think your advice to ask questions all along the journey is the best advice.
It's too bad that your chemo oncologist was not listening. Did you ever get that port put in? I cannot tell from your story...Yes, you probably should have consulted another oncologist about that problem with the veins.
Good for you for switching doctors.

I did not like my first medical oncologist who was young and flipping her hair and looking at the computer and not at me during my appointment. She told me that it was my choice after surgery whether to have chemo or not. (all her years of education, and she left it up to me) She explained the side effects and i said I felt terrified. Her answer was "well, you asked me to tell you!"

I did the onco type test which came out at 13. She told me that was a borderline score. I spent the next two weeks agonizing over my decision. I called a few other doctors. I finally had one doctors tell me that my score was low...and that if I were her patient she would not recommend.

So I chose not to have chemo. There was a frequent turnover in oncologists, so I had a few. That was 9 years ago this fall.
===The other thing you mentioned was keeping a journal. I strongly believe that writing things down helps so much. When we look back, we can remember what happened; but the memory is safe in our writings so we no longer have to keep it in our mind. And when we do choose to look back, we often realize how much better we feel now, and how we rose to the challenge.

I hope you continue to do well!

Eight more days of summer!!!!

Joan

Sep 16, 2020 06:03PM edwards750 wrote:

13 is not a borderline score. Good grief. It’s low. Mine was 11

Page 512 of 512 (15,344 results)