Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How many years have you been a Survivor?

IllinoisNancy
IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
edited October 2017 in Stage I Breast Cancer

Hi Ladies,

I see this topic was posted in the Stage IV forum and I thought it would be interesting to see how it looked for our group of Stage I ladies.  I will start by saying I'm a 4 year survivor.

Have a good day!

Comments

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited September 2010

I am 5 years + 5 months survivor.

Sheila♥

• halah
    halah Member Posts: 23
    edited August 2013

Great idea for a thread.

I'm still too new to say I am a "survivor" just yet. I was dx July 21, 2010. But okay, yea I'm a 2 month 9 day survivor.  When you say "survivor" here, are you talking about NED? Have y'all been NED all these years? I certainly hope so. I've been NED since 8/30/2010.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited September 2010

Winterstorm... I can only speak for myself. I have been NED so far.

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited September 2010

I have been NED 5 years on Oct 26/2010!

Michele

• jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2010

I year survivor for me as of September 25th this month.  I use my end of treatment date as the date - not when I was first diagnosed.

• halah
    edited August 2013

Congrats Michele! When do most people begin survivorship, the date of dx or the date with NED?

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited October 2010

I'm stage II - can I play? :-)

2 years. 

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited October 2010

18 months from surgery..next goal 24 months!

• sadmom
    sadmom Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010

Almost 21 years!  Diagnosed in Oct. of 1989 at age 34, had lumpectomy, radiation, tamox.  No recurrences, but unfortunately my daughter was diagnosed a year ago July at age 30. She was also Stage 1.  She was tested for BRAC 1 & 2, negative.  Go figure!

• ginab
    ginab Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010

I am just diganosed, through the lumpectomy 9/24/2010, sentinal lobe biopsy 9/24/2010 clear. Radiation is next. I am 44 and fearful. The invasive part was 2mm. Tamoxifen is next. Did you, sadmom, take anything following tamoxifen?

I am sorry to hear about your daughter but it strikes me the right negatives will get her through. 

• pod1257
    pod1257 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2010

I am 4yrs, 3mths out. My mom is a 30yr survivor and will be 86 next month. Maternal Aunt is a 13yr survivor.

Julie

• saltwater-cowgirl
    saltwater-cowgirl Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010

I am 4years, 10 months out...so 5 years coming up! Instead of feeling great about that, I feel nervous...my 100% 5 year survival stat will be over...now what?????

LESLIE55

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2010

We count from surgery, right, because the rest is just insurance, changing the locks on the stable door (and hoping the horse hasn't already made a bolt for it?)

Hey eight months today, now that's two thirds of a year already. I'll soon be catching y'all up! 

five months if you count from end of treatment, next monday.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited October 2010

Two months and 10 days since my surgery.  Just a newbie!

Michelle

• halah
    edited October 2010

I always thought survivorship began the date of dx. Please correct me if I am wrong. Lance Armstrong considers his survivorship to have begun on the date of his dx.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited October 2010

Another newbie - 5 months and 1 day.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited October 2010

I counted from the day I felt the lump on my breast, since it was later dx'd.

But if I count since dx, going on 18 months.

I think if you have a reeeeally obvious lump, you should be allowed to count since then. But then one might mess up the number crunchers' game.

• janey47
    janey47 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2010

hey, jancie -- me too -- September 29, 2009 was my last day of radiation.  September 29, 2010, coincidentally, was also the date of my first mammogram post-cancer (all clear, and while that's good, I also bear in mind that mammography never showed my lesions even when we knew exactly where they were).  Also, again completely coincidentally, my one-year anniversary also happened to be the day that I passed along the book I was given at diagnosis (Understanding Lumpectomy) and the heart-shaped pillow for post-surgery to another woman who was just diagnosed. 

Fuck cancer.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2010

Today makes 32 days from surgery. I'm the day after winterstorm. Ironically she's 1 year older than me too.

• twinpeaks4me
    twinpeaks4me Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

Today is 1 year 2 days from first surgery.  Better margins surgery was on Nov 19th.  So I guess 10 3/4 months for this beast.  14 years 9 months from my lymphoma stint.  They claim BC was caused by the mantle radiation from 14 years 9 months ago.  GO FIGURE.  As of today I'm cancer free.  Thank GOD!

• juli0212
    juli0212 Member Posts: 801
    edited August 2013
    1Athena1 wrote:

I'm stage II - can I play? :-)

2 years. 

Same here, Stage 2 (tried to do italics in quoting Athena above)  My oncologist says that he won't consider me in remission until 7 years post-treatment (chemo/rads end Feb.'07).  My breast surgeon wants to follow me for 10 years.  That said, I'm NED for 3 1/2 years.  So, as far as surviving, I'd say from day of dx, May 2006.    ~juli

• jpann39
    jpann39 Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2010

November 15, 2010 will be my 4 year survivorship of Stage II breast cancer.

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2010

Yes, counting from diagnosis makes much more sense, I got confused cos I just came from the thread about Cured or in Remission? where a slightly different question about how long cancer-free (NED). Sorry I didn't mean to upset people.

Thinking about it, the months i quoted above since being cancer-free (i hope) which were mostly spring and summer months spent off work and suffering only a recovery from surgery and rads, have been a walk in the park compared to the previous four months between diagnosis and surgery, darkest winter in many senses, which I kept on at work throughout, trrying to look normal and struggling to function through a tamoxifen stupor, but knowing I had this awful THING growing inside me and nothing seemed to be happening to make it better.

Well in that case I survived the first year.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited October 2010

I count from when the lumpectomy surgery got it out of my body.  That was May 2008, almost 2-1/2 years ago.

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037
    edited October 2010

I am a 1 yr. 1 mo. survivor, my cousin is at 7 yrs., my godmother is a 26 yr. survivor.  She is 87 yrs. old and is still going strong, she still looks nifty in her polo shirt and jeans.

• pickle
    pickle Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2010

I count from my dx date which was January 23, 2009. That was 21 months ago and so far so good.

• EllieD
    EllieD Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2010

3 years!  Woo Hoo

• mmm5
    mmm5 Member Posts: 797
    edited October 2010

2 1/2 years this month!

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2010

1 year tomorrow.