Log in to post a reply
Dec 27, 2011 09:11PM
momto2boys: I'm sorry that you're concerned, I never wanted that to happen to anyone. We sound so very, very similar.
I am meeting with my oncologist tomorrow, and my first question is going to be, Did you change my chemo plan because you want me as part of this clinical trial, or because it's what's best for me? I want to know, to understand, why my chemo regimen has changed so dramatically.
I want to do what's best for me, and for my future, and if that means a more intense treatment, then I'll do it. But I want to know why.
So - ask questions. If you are confused and a bit worried, ask your oncologist about your treatment plan. Don't hesitate to say, "if I'm high risk, is this going to be enough?" Maybe there is something Dr. Farber knows that will help you understand what has been planned for you. One of the best resources I have found has been the NCCN "decision tree" for treatment - easy to read, understand, and refer back to. If you are interested, you can find the physician's guide here:
(you have to register, but don't have to be a professional for it to download). It may seem a little intimidating, but page 11 starts the decision tree for IDC. Page 42 talks about adjuvant treatment options.
There is a companion guide for breast cancer patients:
I'll post the results of my conversation with my doctor after tomorrow's visit. Hopefully I'll have more answers by then.
And feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. *hugs* to you as we move through this scary process.
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam
11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH)
12/5/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel
1/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol)
6/12/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
2/15/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left
3/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)
7/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap
1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone