We are 193,675 members in 81 forums discussing 143,484 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage I Breast Cancer → Topic: Positive lymph node--chemo?

Topic: Positive lymph node--chemo?

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Mar 13, 2012 09:21PM

Hopeful99 wrote:

I have just barely Stage II breast cancer-- had 2.2 cm tumor removed one lymph node out of 8 had less than 2mm micrometastisis. My oncologist ordered oncotype -- got score of 10! He said no chemo as I am strongly ER/PR positive. Other oncologist say need to do 4x TC because the oncotype is for node negative and I am pre- menopausal-- I am 47. If I was older she would say no chemo. She will say no chemo if I sign up for trial going on right now where women with oncotype less than 25 and pr/ER positive get randomly selected to do chemo or not!! I am so confused. Have 6 year old son and not want to risk anything!!

Dx 12/28/2011, DCIS, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 1/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 2 of 2 (40 results)

Posts 31 - 40 (40 total)

Apr 19, 2012 05:54PM Mariebee wrote:

@ Judy (jdwench) yes I agree with all the kudos on trials. I was randomized to no chemo, and entered the trial (as randomization matched my decision,or at least a decision I could deal with amongst the flip flopping).  I'm also in trial (exericse for cancer patients) while I'm going through my radiation treatment.

I'm premenopausal, but due to blood clot history I started on zoladex and arimidex.

I have PCOS, but docs (endocrinologist, primary and ob/gyn) haven't been fans about putting me on metformin (this occured prior to breast cancer).  What's this you talk about arimidex w/ or w/out metformin.  I've to go look for this topic/trial- but what can you share....

Diagnosis 12/2011- 2/2012 Partial Mastectomy and Reduction, sentinel node - ; intramammary node +; 3/2012= RxPonder trial randomized to no chemo & started Lupron/Arimidex; 4/2012 rads Dx 12/20/2011, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 19, 2012 06:22PM Lee7 wrote:

It's a little over a year now since I skipped chemo and just went on to rads and Arimidex.  It really was an agonizing decision time and I still flip flop on how I feel about it. Mostly due to other peoples reaction when I say I skippped chemo. 

I wish I could have entered the RxPonder trial.  Knowing about the trial has helped me to feel a little better about my decision and knowing others made a similar choice has helped  too.  I don't feel so alone. :)

I hope everyone posting here on this thread can stay in touch !   

Dx 10/2010, IDC, Stage IIA, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 22, 2012 02:05PM - edited May 10, 2012 07:25AM by molly2

This Post was deleted by molly2.
Dx 12/9/2011, ILC, <1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 22, 2012 06:53PM bdavis wrote:

Molly... my two cents. You have already lost your hair, chemo is not that hard on you, but how would you feel if you skipped the last dose and then had a recurrance and had to do it ALL over again.. That would not be fun. I had 6tx of chemo and even though many around me were having 4tx, I did all six, and know I have done everything I can. ALSO, from what I understand, cancer cells grow in cycles and the many rounds of chemo are designed to kill them at the various stages... If you skip, you run the risk of missing some cell growth. Someone told me this, not sure if its right... but might be worth asking about.

Betsy... 1.9cm tumor, micromet in SN, ER/PR+ 98% .. Had my BMX and Reconstruction in NOLA Dx 11/12/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 22, 2012 07:07PM - edited May 10, 2012 07:24AM by molly2

This Post was deleted by molly2.
Dx 12/9/2011, ILC, <1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 11, 2012 02:57PM WaveWhisperer wrote:

Maribee, I also am considering joining a trial testing Arimidex with or without Metformin. I'm not sure if it's the identical one others were talking about, but this one is "Phase III Randomized Trial of Metformin vs. Placebo on Recurrence and Survival in Early Stage Breast Cancer." It says sponsor: NCIC CTG-MA.32

The paperwork says "this research is being done because previous laboratory work has shown that Metformin may decrease the growth of different types of cancer cells, including breast cancer cells. Research has also shown that Metformin lowers the level of insulin, a hormone found in the blood that can negatively affect breast cancer." 

Lumpectomy 10/29/2011. TCx4 12/20;1/11;1/31;2/21/12. Started rads 3/19/12. Was in clnical trial testing 3-week course vs. standard 6-week course of rads. Took Arimidex for 2 years, now on Aromasin. Dx 10/14/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/7/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

May 17, 2017 08:07AM Horizons wrote:

I just came across this discussion and am wondering how everyone is doing. I am in a similar situation.

Grade 1, er/pr positive, her2 negative. 2 positive (sentinel) lymphnodes. 0/3 axillary nodes. Tumor size 2.5cm. Had a mastectomy 3 weeks ago. I do not have the oncotype results yet. My MO did not order because he feels with the lymphnodes positive it's not relevant. He recommends chemo therapy. I have an appointment for a 2nd opinion and hope to get the oncotype test done.

Any advise?

May 17, 2017 12:24PM - edited May 17, 2017 12:25PM by Emily2008

Horizons, if I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't even be eligible to have Oncotype run on your pathology since you have 2 positive nodes. Oncotype is really just for ER/PR pos, node negative women.

I agree that you should definitely get a second opinion on your follow up treatment, but I wouldn't be surprised if nobody runs the Oncotype test on your path due to those 2 nodes. Plus with your tumor size, I'd be surprised if an oncologist recommends no chemo.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

ETA: This is a really old thread. You may want to post your question on the Stage 2 forums, or on the Just Diagnosed Forum.

Dx 5/08, IDC, Left, Stage 1, Grade 1, BRCA 2 pos. Mast. w/TRAM and implant, A/C x 4, Tamox. for 6.5 yrs, ooph and hyst in 2010. Dx. 10/16, local recurrence, Left, Grade 2, breast segmentation, 30 rads from Jan-March 2017, then AIs. Dx 5/14/2008, IDC, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/31/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 17, 2017 02:48PM - edited May 17, 2017 02:48PM by NancyHB

The Oncotype test is for ER+ BC with 3 or fewer positive nodes, so it would still be an appropriate test for you, Horizons.

From their website:

"For patients with early-stage, ER-positive, HER2-negative, node negative, and node-positive (1-3) breast cancer, the Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score quantifies the risk of distant recurrence and the likelihood of chemotherapy benefit."

http://www.oncotypeiq.com/en-US/

I was node negative and my MO gave me the choice of chemo but offered to run the Oncotyoe test for me as part of my decision-making g progress. I'm glad he did; my score was 42. I ended up having chemo, and my high score allowed me to participate in a clinical trial.

Good luck

"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." - Omar Khayyam Dx 11/22/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/5/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 6/12/2012 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 1/27/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/15/2016 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Left Chemotherapy 3/1/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/21/2016 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Dx 1/31/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

May 18, 2017 06:27PM Horizons wrote:

Thank you so much! They did end up running the oncotype test. Results in 10 days......

In the meanwhile I will start mentally "preparing" for chemotherapy.

Page 2 of 2 (40 results)