Topic: use of oncotype dx test on node positive idc

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: May 2, 2012 09:47PM

Posted on: May 2, 2012 09:47PM

scaredycatwoman wrote:

Hi  Does anyone have any experience with using the Oncotype dx test to decide if chemo is warranted in some one with node positive  1/8,  stage IIa, grade 3 IDC?

One med onc said it should be looked at before deciding if chemo would work and  another one said no --that with my tumor, grade 3 with evidence of lympho-vascular involvement, the oncotype test would not be useful and chemo was the way to go

Has anyone had personal experience this type of situation?

can anyone recommend a med onc in the new york city area or NJ area?

Page 1 of 6 (53 results)

May 2, 2012 10:22PM coraleliz wrote:

There is a stage III clinical trial(RXponder trial) that is currently recruiting women who are node positive & have oncoscores low to intermediate(I think). There have been smaller studies & there is some data to suggest that oncotype testing can be used on node positive women. I had to ask for the test 3 times before my MO agreed. I was ready to shop around for a MO who would order the test for me. Not sure how stongly you feel about getting the test but you might want to consider participating in the Rxponder trial. I wasn't able to. My onco score was low with 2 poitive nodes & I ultimately decided against chemo. Very hard decision.

Dx 2/28/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/15/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jun 7, 2012 09:31AM Kheng wrote:

For grade 1 tumour hormone receptors positive less than 4 lymph nodes, no chemo required!
Anti-hormone treatment such as tamoxifen for premenopausal and anastrozole for menopausal women!
You may read the book 'Breast Cancer, Taking Control' by Professor John Boyage
In Singapore, many 15 years survivors with your prognosis did not go for chemo, RT and did not take anti-hormone pills as there are deadly side effects too!
Many survivors without tecurrence take Traditonal Chinese Herbs from qualified TCM Oncologist and do not take soya beans, tofu, ginseng, Angelico roots, honey, royal jelly, barbecue foods, deep fried foods, red meat!

Meditate on Psalms 91 and Ezekiel 37 then pray and relax!

Share this good news with your new friends!

3 Cheers from Singapore Kheng

Jun 7, 2012 10:06AM pupmom wrote:

My MO ordered the test and even with 2 positive (micromets) nodes she said no chemo. Oncotype Score was 14. I am also 63 with a low grade tumor.

Life is what happens while we're making other plans. Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 7, 2012 11:17AM wildrumara wrote:

You didn't mention your age?   Are you premenopausal or post-menopausal??   Not to diminish what yorkiemom and others like her with their diagnoses,  but she is 63.  There is a big difference between a 63 year-old woman with breast cancer and a woman in her 40s.......??  

Aug 2011, dx wth IDC Stage 2, oncotype 25, neoadjuvant chemotTC X 6, BMX with reconstruction, Tamoxifen March 2012, April 2014, two small mets discovered on liver. Arimidex, May 2014 Liver wedge resection. June 2014 SBRT of second liver lesion. Dx 8/23/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/28/2012 Hormonal Therapy 3/26/2012 Hormonal Therapy 5/7/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 2/8/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jun 10, 2012 05:13PM rita65 wrote:

Hi  I received my oxy score and was hi risk for recurrence my score 35.  Taking the chemo will reduce my risk by 12 %.  My score said I had 24% recurrence.  That is to high for me and also a significant inmprovement.  Initially I was told probably no chemo just RAD with a lumpectomy.  My IDC stage 1 grade 2 SNB with no cancer cells in eigther node.  My cancer is ER pos PR Neg and Her Neg.  Generally oxy score are for those with no lymph node involvement and stage 1 or 2.  I would highly suggest that oxyDX be ran if possible.  I start my chemo journey on 6/12/12 this coming Tues.  I do not look forward to chemo but I am so thankful that my onco ordered it because I have made the wise decision to have chem.  I will also have RADS after chemo for about 6 weeks, then on the chemo pill for 5 yrs. The test is geared for your specific cells and onco can treat you with the right therapy for you.  If your insurance pays for it then have it because test the tumor itself after removal. Good Luck to you and all of us.  I intend to fight this fight with all that I have and stay positive!!!  No looking back at my Onco and my decision, just forward to live a long and healthy life. Hang in there, I will!!

Jun 10, 2012 05:25PM pupmom wrote:

Rita, the Oncotpe Test is NOT just for node negative people. It's for people with node positive also.

Life is what happens while we're making other plans. Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 10, 2012 05:29PM rita65 wrote:

Yorkie Mom posted about age but if oxy score came back at 14 that is pretty low risk for recurrence. 

also I believe the micrometastis is considered node neg.  If my oxy score were 14 I probably would not have chose chemo and I doubt if my Onco would have given chemo. In this case it would have nothing to do with age 63.  

Jun 10, 2012 05:30PM rita65 wrote:

Yes I stand corrected!!  Thank you!  Hugs

Jun 10, 2012 05:40PM rita65 wrote:

Geeze  I must be anxious about chemo on Tues., I can't get my brain and fingers to get togther.  I posted that yorki mom posted age but it was Wilrumara.  I stand corrected again...  oh well have the test.  keep us informed.

Jun 10, 2012 05:44PM pupmom wrote:

Rita, (((HUGS))) sweetie!

Page 1 of 6 (53 results)

Scroll to top button