We are 196,343 members in 81 forums discussing 144,708 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage I Breast Cancer → Topic: New here... hello and thank you

Topic: New here... hello and thank you

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Sep 11, 2017 07:08PM

scaligirl wrote:

Hi all,

I just joined the site this week although I've been reading like a madman for the past month and can't thank you all enough for sharing all your stories and experiences. I have learned so much about bc and all the tests and results types, and it has helped me immeasurable in preparing for conversations with my medical team.

I was just diagnosed last month. I had an annual mammo that turned up some suspicious sites so they asked me to come back in for a repeat and an ultrasound too. The u/s confirmed there were three suspicious sites that weren't there in last year's mammo. so we went ahead with a same day biopsy. I was very lucky that the radiologist had a pretty open schedule that day. The pathology came back a few days later - one site DCIS (stage 0, ~8mm), and two other sites that were right next to each other IDC (both stage 1, one 5mm and another ~9mm).

I had thought the next step was to schedule surgery but my doc wanted an MRI to get a better look at the space between these two areas so tell her whether a lumpectomy or partial mx would be the right surgery for me. The one site was at 9:00 and the other two at 10:00 so fairly close to one another. The MRI told us a good story for the space between the sites - very clear so ok to do a lump, but then the MRI also showed this other site that wasn't seen on the mammos. Que biopsy #3. In the meantime, we had a lumpectomy scheduled (playing the odds). The results from that finally came in ONE day before my surgery. No cancer, but something that we all decided to remove anyway. I have to get my hands on the path report to see what that was actually called.

In any case, went in for the isotope injection last thursday afternoon, and oh my god did that hurt. I know I read a few posts about that not being too bad and they inject you with a local beforehand, which they totally did with me too. But damn if that injection didn't hurt like a red hot poker to my breast for a good 10 seconds straight. I honestly don't know why they bothered with the local because it didn't seem to do squat for me.

My surgery was last friday 9/8. 3 lumpectomies on my right breast, plus the sentinel node biopsy, and now I am just trying to take it easy at home this week. I travel for work so can't really do that while I can't lift anything heavy. Yay restrictive work fields.

Fingers crossed my pathology from the lumpectomy comes back with clear margins and nothing else actionable. I should hear the news by this Wed or Thurs. I have my follow up with my surgeon nx week. The plan is for me to start taking tamoxifen and then do 4 weeks of localized radiation a month after my surgery date.

Best of luck to us all, Sylvia :D

Dx 8/10/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/10/2017, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/8/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 10/2/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)