We are 197,863 members in 81 forums discussing 145,396 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage I Breast Cancer → Topic: Good prognosis, but am struggling emotionally

Topic: Good prognosis, but am struggling emotionally

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Sep 22, 2017 01:05AM

Katrientjie wrote:

Hi,

I was diagnosed about a month ago with stage 1 IDC. ER+,PR+. I had a lumpectomy a week ago. It did not spread to any of my lymphnodes, and they got it all with clear margins. I will most likely be doing radiation therapy and some sort of estrogen blocker. The prognosis seems to be really good. I know I should be really thankful for this outcome, and I am but I have been feeling really depressed for the past 3-4 weeks. It almost feels like I have never allowed myself to feel upset with my BC diagnosis. In my mind I am not allowing myself to be upset, becuase it really is no "big deal" compared to what other people are going through. My friends and work community have been super supportive, but I feel guilty about recieving their support. I feel like I do not have the right to feel upset about anything or to complain, becuase as my surgeon said "I have the best possible diagnosis and prognosis".I just wish I felt more grateful, rather than being so depressed about it it all. Please let me know if anyone else has been struggeling with this sense of "survivors guilt".

L.H Dx 8/23/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/23/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/15/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/19/2017 Hormonal Therapy 12/7/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 3 of 3 (74 results)

Posts 61 - 74 (74 total)

Dec 3, 2017 04:54PM Snickersmom wrote:

I felt - and still feel - exactly the same way. Just because I didn't have radiation or chemo doesn't mean that it was not cancer. And just because I bounced back so quickly after having a radical mastectomy doesn't make the whole thing any less painful. My surgeon and oncologist and their whole team have never made light of the cancer I had, But sometimes I feel like some friends and even some members ofmy family have that "okay you had cancer, but now you don't, so just move on with your life" attitude. I know it's hard to understand what it's like if you haven't ever had cancer, but I guess I didn't expect that, especially

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 3, 2017 08:38PM lifechoices2017 wrote:

Katrientjie as I read your post, it was so similar to mine; I am 49... not sure of your age...Sept 25 confirmed diagnosis... ER/PR+ HER2-...surgery Oct 19th, 2cm, clear nodes and margins... 20 rad sessions complete Nov 29th - Dec 27 and Tamox on Jan 1....

Dec 4, 2017 08:57PM Marms wrote:

hi I am recovering 2 1/2 weeks post op. Bilateral Mastectomy stage 1a no lymph involvement and probably will not have to have chemo or radiation. Do I feel fortunate....yes....do I feel afraid...yes. I also chose no reconstruction and feel very good about that decision. I am taking Femara so far no side effects.

Dec 4, 2017 09:18PM Luckynumber47 wrote:

Yay, Marms, you got the hard part behind you. Now it's all about healing.

My diagnosis and treatment a year and a half ago was very similar to yours and I've learned to turn the fear down to simmer. Every time I get a weird little symptom I remind myself that the letrozole is doing its job and it couldn't possibly be mets. It seems like a silly cliché but it all gets better with time

My avatar is a Blue Footed Boobie. Cracked me up. ATM variant, mom died at 33 from BC Dx 2/15/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/16/2016, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/6/2016 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 5/16/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 4, 2017 09:52PM Snickersmom wrote:

That was exactly what I had done in May of this year, just in time for my birthday!. I am 70 so am on Arimidex. So now I get to have the menopausal crap all over again! At least this time, the night sweats aren't as bad as they were before.

I do feel very fortunate that it wasn't worse but Luckynumber is right - I am always waiting for it to pop up somewhere else. I think that's a very normal reaction. My brother died of breast cancer 3 years ago and they related it directed to 2 tours in Vietnam when Agent Orange was being used heavily where he was stationed. He tested negative for BRAC genes so we all breathed a big sigh of relief when we found that out. So my diagnosis in March really knocked me for loop. I am still waiting to wear up from this really awful dream.

Hang in there and get plenty of rest, Marms. Now you need to concentrate on healing!

Dx 3/22/2017, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/2/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 6/11/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 5, 2017 12:11AM thesedays wrote:

There are so many parallels between the OP and me, I could almost have written this post. I don't look or feel sick, and I know I have an excellent prognosis but I'm not out of the woods yet.

I have found that the most supportive people have NOT been the ones who said, "Oh, you'll beat this and it will be fine" although that's nice to hear. It's the people who say, "It's OK to be angry, disappointed, depressed, etc." because I know they are telling me the truth.

IDC, DX 10/3/17, 1st excision 10/31/17, 2nd excision 11/14/17, ER+, PR+, HER2-, low grade. Tamoxifen started 11/24/17

Dec 5, 2017 12:13AM thesedays wrote:

p.s. My mother, a 34-year survivor, recently called and said, "I have some news but you probably don't want to hear it." I replied, "You brought it up, so please tell me."

The news? Her latest mammogram was perfect.

My response? "What do you mean, I didn't want to hear that? OF COURSE I wanted to hear that!"

Sheesh.

Another supportive voice came from an acquaintance who, when I told her my then-very new diagnosis (I hadn't even had my first lumpectomy yet) said, "My mother died from breast cancer." No, she didn't scare me; I knew that already and this made it very real to her.

IDC, DX 10/3/17, 1st excision 10/31/17, 2nd excision 11/14/17, ER+, PR+, HER2-, low grade. Tamoxifen started 11/24/17

Dec 5, 2017 08:09AM Snickersmom wrote:

So true!! I look and feel fine,but I have a very long way to go. I don't get any comfort from "you are cancer-free so you don't have to worry anymore" either.

Dec 5, 2017 04:38PM EastcoastTS wrote:

I look and feel fine too -- on the outside.

For example, leaving PS appt today (final with Exchange post review) and was behind someone going through chemo. Scarf on her head, etc. Idk. It just felt emotional to me -- and they would have never known I was leaving a cancer appt, too, of some sort. I don't look it. Sat in my car a moment just feeling everything. I feel that I've changed while so much has stayed the same.

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 5, 2017 09:23PM Snickersmom wrote:

I am so glad I found this Community site and talk to you all! Everyone feels the same way. It's just nice to know that what I am feeling is apparently normal. Just because I look the same (well, except for being flat) doesn't mean I haven't changed inside. It's what doesn't show that's so hard to deal with

Dec 6, 2017 03:20PM EastcoastTS wrote:

Snickers:

Yes, we do share so much in this journey, don't we? That's why I can admit all this stuff here. Things I can't say to anyone else.

And I'm for the first time in my life NOT flat. (I was AA cup before!). LOL Breasts are odd things to me actually. (And I got very small implants.) But they still seem much bigger to me!

Dx@ 49. Oncotype: 14, BRCA 1/2- Dx 1/4/2017, ILC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/7/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 6, 2017 06:45PM Snickersmom wrote:

thanks for the chuckle!! My sister always has razzed me and said she got the brains and I got the boobs. So much for that!!!! I chose not to reconstruct because I just turned 70 and figured I just didn't want to be bothered. My bilateral mastectomy was my 70th birthday present instead of our planned trip to Alaska. But I got my first ever tattoo to mark this occasion

Dec 7, 2017 07:28PM EastcoastTS wrote:

Snickers:

Well, yeah for the tattoo! My first (and only) was when I was 25 or so. I think it may be time for another. I just have to figure out what. I hope you still get to Alaska sometime soon.

:)

Dec 7, 2017 07:55PM Snickersmom wrote:

I have been to Alaska several times but not to stay for any length of time. My husband has never been and I guess one of these days we'll get there. It just doesn't seem as important now.

My tattoo is the pink ribbon with a blue/green butterfly on top. So the ribbon is only visible on the top and a little on the bottom of the butterfly. The butterfly is about 2 inches long. Then above that is the word Warrior. I felt very strongly about getting this tattoo because it has a definitely symbolism and marks such a hugechange in my life. But I don't plan on ever getting another one!! I had it done on the outside of my leg about halfway between my knee and ankle because I wanted to be able to see it as well has having it visible to others. And since we live in Florida, I am almost always in shorts or capris.

Page 3 of 3 (74 results)