Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Elevated alk phos

Options
ballofangst
ballofangst Member Posts: 11
edited January 2022 in Stage I Breast Cancer

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed in August of 2016. I had a double mastectomy, radiation, complete hysterectomy by the 1st of the year. I was 46 at the time and premenopausal. I began arimidex January 1st and have seen a rise in my alk phos. During radiation my levels were 69, 88, 78. The next blood test was in march which I was 105, June 99, and my last visit was 127. Needless to say, I'm scared and freaked. I'm wondering if anyone thinks instant menapause and arimidex could account for the rise

Comments

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2017
    Options

So the "normal range" is from 42 to 98 IU/L. If you are older than 60, the normal range is actually a bit higher, up to 141 for a woman. It looks like it's been going up and down, not constantly just up. If it continues to climb, you could ask your doctor to order an ALP isoenzyme test (tells whether it's coming from liver or bones). What does your doc say about your levels?

• ballofangst
    edited October 2017
    Options

She wasn't too concerned and said we would recheck in six weeks. I ofcourse, want answers now:

• MTwoman
    edited October 2017
    Options

I get it. But your numbers have gone both up and down, so it may be down again in 6 weeks. Sorry you're having to wait and worry!

• ballofangst
    edited October 2017
    Options

After the hysterectomy and the arimidex I feel 60....so maybe I can use the 141 range😊 Thank you for the response and it looks like you've done great!

• MTwoman
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, so good for me! Just knowing that there is a range that includes your numbers would make me feel just a bit better, but I do understand wanting your numbers right exactly where they "should" be, and not changing! I just found this about arimidex raising alk phos levels: http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/arimidex/blood-alkaline-phosphatase-increased/

big ((hugs)) and hoping your levels settle back down!

• jojo0529
    jojo0529 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2018
    Options

why the full hysterectomy?

• lola12
    lola12 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2018
    Options

My numbers creeped up a few years ago and it was due to a rib fracture. I experienced a little pain when I sneezed one day and didnt even know I hurt the rib. Bone scan proved this to be true. Eventually my numbers went down. All my worry for nothing.

I agree with your doc, give it time. This is one of those numbers that I believe we shouldn't even look at since so many things can cause it to change.

Lola

• jojo0529
    edited January 2022
    Options

Ballofangst Please respond? Are you real or a troll? Very odd??

• jojo0529
    edited January 2022
    Options

are you a real person? Why no response

• ballofangst
    edited January 2022
    Options

I am real! Just haven’t been on in forever. My elevated alk phos was from the arimidex wreaking havoc on my bones. I started getting prolia infusions and my numbers dropped instantly.

• ballofangst
    edited January 2022
    Options

I tested positive for Brca 2 which is why I had the hysterectomy

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2022
    Options

JoJo - take a look at the dates of the last post before you push too hard. In this case it was 2018 when Ballo last posted - 4 years ago

BCO Mods don't permit trolls and we all police the threads fairly regularly. If you're in doubt you can always PM the Mods to check a thread. But people either get better & drop out, or get exhausted & drop out or move on with their lives or die.

• jojo0529
    edited January 2022
    Options

Glad your numbers dropped

• jojo0529
    edited January 2022
    Options

good point.. was concerned because of the lack of response

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,077
    edited January 2022
    Options

Just as a reference, I finished active treatment in 2014. I was hormone negative so nothing ongoing. Except I still get Prolia shots for osteoporosis every 6 months - and that requires blood tests every 6 months.

August 2021 my "alkaline phophatase, bone specific" was 7.0 ug/L (I am WAY past menopause)

The hospital that did my tests show normal:

Premenopausal Female: 4.5 - 16.9 ug/L

Postmenopausal Female: 7.0 - 22.4 ug/L

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited January 2022
    Options

jojo,

Whether this thread or any other it’s a good idea to look at the date the last post was made and to look at “latest activity” of the member before you throw out the word troll. You have been a bco member for more than five years so you must be well aware of the fact that people simply move on for a multitude of reasons. So the next time you are concerned because of lack of response, make sure the thread /member is active rather than jump to conclusions. If no one has posted on a thread for more than two years, it’s likely that they are no longer active. The fact that the op did come back after a long time is not typical. Thank you, op!

The moderators do an excellent job of weeding out trolls and spam and many members are also vigilant about reporting anything that shouldn’t be here. We are protective of bco because we believe in its purpose.Well done, mods!