Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long time stage 1 survivors

prahan
prahan Member Posts: 58
edited January 2023 in Stage I Breast Cancer

Hi, need to know long time stage 1 survivors. How many years since diagnosis and NED. ( No evident of disease and metastasis)

Comments

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited December 2019

Hi .I'm coming on to bump this thread up for you .I am only 5 years out , but there are lots and lots of long time survivors on this site !!

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 518
    edited December 2019

I'll hit 20 years on 12/7/19 (I was DX the first time in 1999 at age 27)

I was diagnosed with a new primary this year, just finished chemo, and my doctor says to plan on another 40-50 years.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,934
    edited December 2019

I think once people are several years out, and past any active treatment, most of them don't post here anymore. It's just not something they think about as often after a while.

• prahan
    edited December 2019

Thanks all for the reply. I am just 8 month survivor of age 37. Need to hear positivity, which keeps me going.

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited December 2019

I'm only 2 yrs out myself but my sister is 10 years out of Inflammatory Breast Cancer and is NED.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited December 2019

Almost eight years out. The fear isn’t there like it was at dx. I still think of it daily but it doesn’t consume me.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited December 2019

Coming up on ten years. My friend’s mom was diagnosed in her early 50’s andis now in her 90’s.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2019

2 months shy of 10 years

• voraciousreader
    edited December 2019

pessa...congrats

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2019

Thanks. Of course, 6 years ago I developed lung cancer and trying to survive that............Much more of a challenge

• katepeony
    katepeony Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2020

My mom was diagnosed at age 37 with Stage I LCIS plus Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. She had a single mastectomy at the time. She just turned 76 and is doing amazing, never had a recurrence or any issues in her remaining breast and is nearly 40 years out from her diagnosis. 💗 She's my long-term survival beacon!

• Lories
    Lories Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2020

except when we are waiting for test results. I just had a standard Breast MRI( my doc is good at getting insurance to pay their share.)

But it’s been 12 years for me. There’s life after bc

• voraciousreader
    edited December 2020

11 years. Still sailing...Heart

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2021

I am just recently diagnosed with DCIS at new year eve, have appointment with BC doctors this week. I follow this BCO last few weeks, to prepare myself for what comes ahead. I am trying to stay positive, not imagine the worst.This long time survivors thread gives me some hope. Thank you.

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited January 2021

hi tnnsd

I just returned from a 2 year followup mamogram

for a stage 1 lumpectomy- ( jan 2019)( invasive

cancer)

When I sat in waiting

room with the blue gown on i had flashbacks

of being in exact same room 2 years prior that

tesulted in a cancer diagnosis -

iYour post really struck

me- because when i was sitting in the waiting room and looked around at all the familiar chairs and nurses and all that was the same 2 years ago, i remembered that the very worst part of this entire horrible journey was the shock at the diagnosis- the “word” cancer- knowing very little about what would happen next- uncertainty, fear and waiting-

Surprisingly, as soon as a plan was in place

and i learned more and more, the rest was

tolerable and quite manageable -

During my own surgery, DCIS was also removed

in addition to the invasive tumour- thesurgeon

told me that there is almost always some dcis

that is around the tumour- so it sounds like

you are very fortunate to have caught this

in the dcis stage

perhaps had i not postponed my own mamogram

for so long, I may have also caught my own in a dcis stage- in any case, please feel reassured

that while the treatment is not pleasant, breast

cancer is treatable- even those that have had diagnosis

and treatments of later stages live full lives- my friend had stage 4 with a

double mastectomy and chemo

and just celebrated 10

years survival- so take heart and remember

this whenever your mind drags you into

the dark places-

( ps- my mamogram was clear

• tntnsd
    tntnsd Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2021

Hi Cassiecanada,

I read your response just nơw and that seems to calm my worry and give me hope. I will probably have my mastectomy next month or so and will know for sure if it stay DCIS or with IDC. I will absolutely take your advice to heart, remember that when my mind go dark places. Thank you.
    So glad that your 2- year mammogram cleared. I truly find it happy to hear someone in this pathgot good result. That give me hope.Wish you the very very best year, and lots of strength

• prahan
    edited March 2021

Hi. 2 years completed . Posting here to bump the thread which I started to hear positivity.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited March 2021

Prahan,

I know someone mentioned this earlier. There are so many, many more stage I patients who have gone on to lead long happy lives and most of them no longer post here. Their bc experience is, mostly, behind them. No one dies from stage I and chances are very good that once you are treated you will not recur. Focus on that!

• byfaith
    byfaith Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2021

I’m a 10-year Stage 1 survivor who had lumpectomy with clear margins, radiation therapy and hormonal therapy. I’m terrified each year (my 3D mammogram scheduled in a couple weeks) to get my mammogram. How does everyone cope?

Does anyone know if having no ovaries helps with long-term recurrence rates? (I had a complete hysterectomy due to fibroids with both ovaries removed several years before my BC diagnosis,)

I’m always terrified of my yearly mammo. This year would be 11 years out. Any help appreciated greatly!

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021

faith….how do you cope? I was diagnosed several months before you. A few weeks ago, I went for my scheduled MRI and plotzed when 45 minutes after I had the MRI my gyno’s phone number came up on my phone. My heart stopped beating for a nanosecond which felt like an eternity. I answered the call. My doctor was calling to tell me all was well and to have a nice weekend. She said she was calling with the good news and apologized if I was frightened by the quick turnaround of good news.

Once you are diagnosed, I think you never are prepared for the results of imaging. Initially, Imaging failed me, so I am not impressed with scanning altogether. But….those phone calls from the doctors shortly after I leave the imaging site scares me…ALL THE TIME.

That said…I have had so many other health scares since my breast cancer diagnosis, I have built up armour so when I do need to fight, IF I ever again have the need to fight, I am now prepared. I don’t sweat the small “what ifs.” That will only rust my armour. So, I suggest you talk to your team. See if they have suggestions where you can find armour. All of us need armour of one kind or another….

and finally…treat yourself gently…despite the armour, let life unfold around you.

• byfaith
    byfaith Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2021

Voracious Reader …. Reading what you said made me realize I'm not alone. Congratulations on being 11 years BC free! I get a regular 3D diagnostic mammogram at the hospital breast clinic and my follow up doc appointments are usually 1-1/2 to 2 hours later in the same clinic within the hospital. The mammo techs have us wait in the mammo lounge until the radiologist has looked at the images. Then they come out and say, you can go. In the past, this meant no new cancer was found. If I'm lucky or pursue it, they'll say, you can go, no new changes.

Since I've gone 10 years cancer free, I will now get my mammograms at the breast clinic, but then I'll be seen by my primary who ordered it for my annual physical. My physical is a month later, so he’ll definitely call when he gets results. I also have personal access to all my records online, so I don't even have to wait for the doc to call. I'm hoping if all is well, the tech will just go ahead and tell me, you can go now, no new concerns or changes, you're fine! Once the radiologist asked for more images and it was a skin wrinkle he wanted to see better. My heart sunk each time. I’m hoping the “you can go” doesn’t just mean the images themselves are acceptable to read, given the fact there’s no pressure to read them quickly like it used to be when I had an appointment at the clinic right away. As you can see, I drive myself crazy

I'll be relying on my faith in God to see me through. I truly have been blessed. Thanks again for your reply. Congrats again on your great results.

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021

Heart

• prahan
    edited July 2021

Need to hear more positive things

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited July 2021

Prahan,

There are no guarantees in life but you have an incredibly favorable prognosis. Again, most stage I grade 1 members cease posting after they complete initial treatment so you may not hear “more positive things". Those who continue to post, for the most part, have ongoing issues or progression. It would wrong to assume that since there aren't more positive stories that your situation is unfavorable since a support forum such as this, by its nature, has more people who need support posting than those who have finished tx and go on their merry way.

Again, no guarantees but your chances of being treated and moving on with your life are much greater than having a recurrence. Don't dwell on things that are statistically not likely to happen. Stage I grade 1? Chances are heavily in your favor. Take care.

• prahan
    edited July 2021

Hi exbrnxgrl

Thanks a lot for your positive words.

You made my day.

• kksmom3
    kksmom3 Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2021

For what it's worth, I'm almost 3 years out. Stage 1A..........

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2021

Was going to wait until the 21st, but I saw this and wanted to reply. The 21st will be the 10 year anniversary of my diagnosis. Statistics said I would still be here, but at the time it was hard to believe. I was 40 and terrified. I had to educate myself quick and this site played a major role in my breast cancer education. So many stories lifted me up and gave me strength. I have learned so much since then and had a few scares along the way BUT I’m still here! I’m so grateful! My daughter was in college when I was diagnosed, my son was in Jr. High. My son just graduated college in May with an engineering degree. All of my treatments were based off the outcomes of clinical trials involving stage 4 patients (female and male) I never forget that this disease steals intelligent, strong, beautiful, woman and men from their lives. I try my best to share what I have learned and to seek out charities that support research. Enjoy every day Prahan🙂

• prahan
    edited July 2021

Heart

• voraciousreader
    edited July 2021

congrats Pure! May you enjoy many, many more decades and decades of good health and lots of happiness always

• pure0323
    pure0323 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2021

Thank you voraciousreader! You are such a bright light around here!