Join Us

We are 217,587 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Postpone annual diagnostic mammo in state with surging COVID?

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Jun 21, 2020 03:26PM

ByFaith wrote:

Our state has suddenly become overrun with a huge surge of COVID cases each day. We're on the news each day now. Hospitals are nearly at capacity, and there is much cause for concern locally and state-wide.

Usually I go for my annual screening 3D mammo and NP visit each year on time. This year will be my 10th year cancer-free. Thank God fir my blessings.

Due to the proximity of the mammo tech to us during the mammo and the physicallyclose (and routine) nature of my office visits, I'm considering putting this follow-up date off a month for now. My doctor's office is okay with a few month's postponement because I have no known symptoms. The hospital takes all necessary COVID precautions, but I just don't feel comfortable going right now.

I have a complicated anxiety disorder and both the high COVID surge locally and the annual exam have made me a wreck. What would you suggest?

Dx 4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/12/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jun 21, 2020 04:15PM Beaverntx wrote:

At ten years out with no symptoms and your doctor's OK, I would probably delay. On the other hand, I am scheduled for my first annual mammogram at 2.5 years out toward the end of July and I am planning on keeping the appointment.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Jun 21, 2020 04:48PM - edited Jun 21, 2020 04:50PM by Mavericksmom

I agree, waiting a month or two won't make a difference. Weighing the risks of Covid vs Cancer is something everyone needs to do on their own. I say go with your gut feelings.

I went for my appointment in May, at the height of the virus in my area but I was having symptoms and I go to a cancer hospital, so no Covid patients there. They were super careful, no one could accompany patients except for special cases. Everyone wore masks and there were check in stations where they had patients use hand sanitizer, took temperatures and asked questions.

I had multiple mammograms and ultrasounds that day as well as a visit with the NP. I was back two weeks later for breast MRI during which I was allowed to take my mask off. Thankfully, all was normal so I amok for a year. I am going back for an appointment with the genetic counselor in July but my state is going to “green." I should mention I am 66 so high risk for Covid. Like both of you I take both Covid and breast cancer very seriously.

Wishing you both cancer free mammograms!

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH)
Log in to post a reply

Jun 27, 2020 02:46PM ByFaith wrote:

Thanks so much for your prompt, caring replies. I decided to keep my regular appointment as scheduled this month. Although our Covid numbers remain at record high levels, I spoke to a nurse at the Breast Clinic area of our Cancer Center and was more than impressed at how thorough they are in protecting patients and staff. They went into specific details about all the precautions they are taking and put me at ease. I became more concerned what would happen if I rescheduled and Covid was worse and I was unable to make a follow up for some time. I believe I was just anxious about my yearly checkup more than Covid anyway. Thanks for caring and for your kind wishes!

Dx 4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/12/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)