Topic: Breast Cancer and Colon Cancer Risks

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Apr 11, 2012 04:53PM

Posted on: Apr 11, 2012 04:53PM

paradiju wrote:

Does anyone know if ones risk of getting colon cancer are higher once you have had breast cancer?

I had a lumpectomy in July, then chemo and radiation. I am 61 in good shape -- run and work out everyday -- eat mostly vegetarian and do not smoke. Yet my doc wants me to have a colonoscopy even though i have no risk factors for Colon Cancer. I am not adverse to this particular procedure but basically try to avoid any unecessary invasive procedures and drugs.

I could not find anything in the research i did on this subject. 

paradiju Dx 6/9/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 4 (37 results)

Apr 11, 2012 04:59PM msphil wrote:

I am a Survivor of this disease and the only time my pcp suggested a colonoscopy is when I turned 51 I was told I should have it done because after 50 is when your chances go up, I did have it done and all clear, no polops or anything thank God, I am now 61 also and she suggesting it again, I think since it was clear I could wait 10 yrs, hope this helps and by the way I am an 18 yr Survivor(Praise God)

Apr 11, 2012 05:06PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Paradiju,
I think your doc is suggesting the colonoscopy not because of a connection to bc, but just because many people of your age get this test as a routine screening.
Caryn

Apr 11, 2012 05:08PM paradiju wrote:

Thanks -- being an 18yr survivor is great -- i am happy for you.

Yes i know what the physicians say -- they all tell you you should have a colonoscopy after 50 but i am a skeptic -- having worked in the marketing field all my life i know only two well how labs make money and it is mostly by encouraging everyone to get all kinds of tests that years later prove to be unnecessary and even harmful. Just look at the controversy now surrounding mammograms -- turms out it doesn't really save lives after all -- too many missed diagnosis and false positives -- anyway I'll get off my lecturn now :) I was just curious if anyone had heard about any recent research out there about any correlation between Colon and breast cancer. Anything i could find said that your chances of getting CC are no greater if you had BC -- but a few reports say taht there is a slight increase.

Decisions -- decisions! 

Apr 11, 2012 05:13PM paradiju wrote:

exbrnxgrl -- no she specifically said i want you to have it because you are at risk having had BC -- i just don't beleive her -- like i said i am definetly a skeptic -- besides being in advertising my best freind of 40 yrs is a GP -- believe me they are fallible and don't know everything -- so i have always been a great beleiver in doing my own research -- caveat emptor (SP)

Apr 11, 2012 05:18PM Iamstronger wrote:

Funny you should post this. I had my first colonoscopy today! I am 46. My GI doc said that there is a slight increase in chance of colon cancer, very slight
He said everything looked great, but since i did have breast cancer he recommends a follow up in 5 years rather than the 10year norm. Fwiw, this procedure was nothing compared to what many of us have been through.

v

Dx 1/7/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 1/13/2010 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 2/13/2010 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/13/2010 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 6/4/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 8/14/2010 Surgery 3/1/2011 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Dx 8/23/2014, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 9/7/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2014 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy 9/24/2014 Bone Targeted Therapy 3/23/2015 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Chemotherapy

Apr 11, 2012 05:24PM NannaBaby wrote:

My mom died from colon cancer.  She was diagnosed in her 40s and died at 56.  I was 28 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Oncologists think it could be genetic.  I am still doing ++ genetic testing.  I got my first colonoscopy November 2011.  It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't that bad.  It's done very quickly.  I am gonna get one done every 5 years.  Ask to be put under general anesthesia if possible, or ask for ++ sedation.  The anxiety is the worst part.

NannyBaby, dx May 2010 at age 28. Neo-Chemo AC+Taxotere, surgery uMx, 25 Tomo rads, more chemo Cisplatin+Vinorelbine. Dx 5/28/2010, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/3/2010 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/13/2010 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/19/2011 3DCRT: Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy 3/31/2011 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Navelbine (vinorelbine) Surgery 7/12/2012 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap

Apr 11, 2012 05:24PM paradiju wrote:

Vmarie -- that is a coincidence -- no i am not at all "scared" of the procedure -- like you said, after everything we've been through it's not a big deal. I just like to make up my own mind rather than doing it just because -- thanks for the input -- i am glad all is good with you!

Apr 11, 2012 05:24PM exbrnxgrl wrote:

From what I've read, the studies about a bc/colon cancer relationship are very conflicting. Some point to a slightly greater risk for women with bc some don't. There does seem to be a slightly elevated risk for those who are BRCA 1 or 2 positive, but there is even some disagreement there. That said, colonoscopy is a great way to detect early colon cancer. It is much more accurate than the fecal occult test. I know two people who had very early stage colon cancer found during routine colonoscopies. They are both doing very well. Caryn

Apr 11, 2012 05:26PM paradiju wrote:

nanna baby -- so sorry about your mom -- if I had a family history i wouldn't hesitate for a moment either!

Nov 9, 2013 07:41PM samijo wrote:

There is a lot of controversy but there is a slightly increased risk of colon cancer when you have had breast cancer. I am going for an early colonoscopy this Tuesday, because I was just diagnosed with breast cancer and had a mastectomy...awaiting Oncotype Dx scores as well as the results of the colonoscopy to determine chemo or not. But...I have a family history of both: breast cancer on paternal side and colon colorectal cancer on maternal side...double whammy. My onco is being cautious, but I was due for the test next year anyway (every 5 years). To err on the side of caution is not a bad thing.

Page 1 of 4 (37 results)

Scroll to top button