Join Us

We are 225,109 members in 83 forums discussing 163,879 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Question about getting 2nd opinions

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Mar 8, 2013 06:24AM

Jeraldine wrote:

Has anyone had problem collecting all the test results, reports, doctor notes together to bring for second opinions? Will your doctors send the stuff for you, or do you end up having to get everything together yourself?

Not sure if this is a real problem. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Apr 7, 2013 09:08AM april485 wrote:

bump

"Fear has been a huge dictator in my life - so I am trying to stage a coup!" ~ a friend Dx 1/30/2013, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/21/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/22/2013 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/20/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 7, 2013 09:36AM bevin wrote:

Hi there,

I just called and emailed the doctors office who had pathology and CAT/MRI etc and told them to send them to the doctors I was having second/third opines with.  It was simple. A doctor worth their nettle will not have a problem and will encourage you to seek alternate opinions.  I had 3 surigcal and 3 oncology opinions and was very glad I took the couple weeks to do this.  It enabled me to compare options, recommendations and fine a doctor team I was comfortable with.

I did follow-up a few days before my appointments to ensure they received everything.

The only thing I needed to bring personally was a hard copy of the CD with the scans. Some doctors like to see the actual scan and not read the radiologist report alone.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby Dx 5/1/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/9/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/9/2010 Breast

Apr 7, 2013 10:46PM - edited Apr 8, 2013 07:12PM by Outfield

Jeraldine,

Doctors legally have to supply you with copies of your records.  Some make it easy for you to get them, some don't, but they have to do it.  They should be used to requests for records.

Edited to add:  that's in the U.S., sorry I shouldn't make assumptions on these boards because I know we're from everywhere.

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)