Topic: Do we ever get to say we are "cured"?

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Jan 22, 2014 05:56PM

Posted on: Jan 22, 2014 05:56PM

emmahandy wrote:

I am tired of cancer.  When do we get to say we are cured and bid farewell to our oncologist?

Life is tough - wear a helmet. Dx 8/1/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/15/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 9/1/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 1/15/2007 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2007

Page 2 of 2 (12 results)

Nov 2, 2018 09:05AM edwards750 wrote:

I’ve heard multiple times there is no cure. I’m okay with remission I guess because I know it’s a temporary state and the beast could come back but I refuse to live my life agonizing over the possibility.

I’ve also heard about the 5 year milestone and in fact when I reached the 5 year mark my MO told me I could stop taking Tamoxifen. Yea! I don’t see her anymore. I have my annual mammo but that’s it. I am 7 years out last August.

So maybe we shouldn’t mince words whether it’s cured or remission and be grateful we have dodged the dreaded beast’s return so far.

Diane

Nov 2, 2018 04:12PM JoE777 wrote:

My onc said I'm not curable, nor will there be remission, but she was adamant that the disease is manageable and treatable with many years of quality of life. No Evidence of Disease seems to bewhat she is saying and can take that and run with itHappy

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 1/8/2018 Femara (letrozole) Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Targeted Therapy Kisqali

Page 2 of 2 (12 results)

Scroll to top button