Join Us

We are 225,109 members in 83 forums discussing 163,879 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: New study on mastectomy

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: May 17, 2016 11:57AM - edited May 17, 2016 03:12PM by LtotheK

LtotheK wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I am planning to speak to my oncologist on the latest study posted on the boards here that mastectomy for women under 45 provides much greater protection against recurrence. I was 39 at diagnosis, and advised to do lumpectomy. I am regretting that decision. I am curious to hear what others think about the possibility of going back to do a mastectomy. The difference in recurrence rates is alarming: more than a 10% benefit over lumpectomy.

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/best-surgery-for-early-stage-may-depend-on-age

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

May 17, 2016 12:53PM Kessa619 wrote:

Hi. I have not seen this study. Could you possibly post a link or direct me to the boards where it is discussed? Thanks a bunch.

Oncotype 18, age at diagnosis 43 Dx 10/20/2015, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 17, 2016 03:12PM LtotheK wrote:

Yikes, thanks for pointing that out thought I put the link in! Will also post in the original.

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/best-surgery-for-early-stage-may-depend-on-age

May 17, 2016 03:18PM Kessa619 wrote:

oops - forgive me. I see now that you did put the link

Oncotype 18, age at diagnosis 43 Dx 10/20/2015, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 17, 2016 03:20PM LtotheK wrote:

Kessa, I changed it thanks to you! Want to hear your thoughts on the matter! We have quite a similar profile, although mine was grade 3. My oncotype was unpredictably a 12.

May 17, 2016 07:11PM Kessa619 wrote:

Honestly, LtotheK, this is confusing to me and contrary to what I have been told by all my doctors - guess that is your point too. I would be interested in what your oncologist thinks. I had mastectomies. Actually, right before I was diagnosed, I was preparing to visit some doctors to ask about prophylactic mastectomies. My reasons were that I was repeatedly called in for further diagnostics, countless ultrasounds and two MRIs within a year. The anxiety was crippling (still is really). I chose mastectomies to avoid all the screening, not because it would reduce the risk of recurrence. (again, all docs said it would not).

My two cents are that your oncotype is based on your indicvidual tumor and if I were you, I would feel pretty good about a 12.

May 17, 2016 07:14PM Kessa619 wrote:

another thought - can this result be explained by the fact that younger people tend to have more aggressive cancers (I am thinking TN, Her2+)?

May 17, 2016 08:31PM LtotheK wrote:

Agreed, so confusing! I don't know about the more aggressive tumors, one thing is the ER/PR+ have a longer risk factor. The old idea that 5 years is some kind of "cure" doesn't hold anymore, most critically for the hormone positives, whose risk stays quite high for 10 and beyond.

TN and HER2+ tend to recur in the first two years most intensely, from my understanding. This doesn't aggregate any information about the clusters of recurrence in the 20 years--were many in the first five? If so, then the more aggressive types might account for the higher recurrences in young women.

I also agree with you about the screening, and glad to hear it's not just me. I have to drug the crap out of myself, I have significant PTSD (studies now show that's really common, I used to think I was a wimp). Every year, I lose a month in worry and fear.

Did you have a mastectomy post radiation? How did it go for you, and how are you managing? I will share my oncologist's thoughts. I wrote her, and will make an appt.

May 17, 2016 08:47PM Kessa619 wrote:

I had a lumpectomy in November, but decided to schedule a bilateral mastectomy instead of proceeding to radiation.

May 17, 2016 08:55PM Kessa619 wrote:

I fared pretty well with the surgery. I went direct to implant and recovered pretty quickly. Don't get me wrong - it hurt, but not nearly as badly as I was expecting. I would say I was fully functional after 6 weeks.

I totally understand about the PTSD. Sucks, doesn't it? Are you taking any anti-hormonals? That is a whole other thing driving me crazy now!

May 17, 2016 09:31PM LtotheK wrote:

Yuppers, on Tamoxifen. My bones after chemopause probably couldn't take the AIs. How about you?

Congratulations on your successful recovery and completing the surgeries! Onward with life, right?

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)