Join Us

We are 224,253 members in 83 forums discussing 163,465 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Hot flashes - or should I say I feel like I’m in a volcano

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Aug 26, 2018 06:48AM

Chasing_50 wrote:

Hi everyone I really need help! Chemo has put me into early menopause which is great and I can deal wit everything but the furnace with no control. I decideded to keep track how many hot flashes I was getting in a day and I am averaging about 2 an hour and they are bad. Full on sweat, clothes get soaked and I am miserable! I don’t sleep at night and I am getting to the point that I don’t want to go out. I have one more chemo treatment left. Has anyone else had to deal with extreme hot flashes? What worked? Did the hot flashes subside after chemo?

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 26, 2018 09:57AM GraceB1 wrote:

Tell your Dr how uncomfortable you are. There are pills that can help. Effexor or Neuroten can help but they also have side effects. The hot flashes seem to calm down after a while but I still get them 5 years later.

Grace B I'm just special - primary neuroendocrine, less than .001% of all breast cancers. Start each day with gratitude. Dx 6/10/2013, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 2/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/11/2013 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/7/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Targeted Therapy 2/11/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2014 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 5/17/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 1/29/2020, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Aug 26, 2018 10:43AM TWills wrote:

My OC recommended the Relizen and my friends OBGYN recommended the Serenol because she had additional symptoms. You have to order it which is kinda a pain but if it works it’s worth it. I’ve just started it so we’ll see

Dx 11/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/13/2016 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/10/2017 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Surgery 8/27/2017 Hormonal Therapy 11/8/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 3/2/2018 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Aug 26, 2018 11:32AM NotVeryBrave wrote:

I had really bad hot flashes during chemo from being transported directly to menopause. I think it was about 6 weeks of near constant episodes of heat, flushing, sweating, soaking - and then freezing! And then I was done. I truly didn't have anymore.

In the more than a year since chemo ended, I've been all over the place with hormones. At least the experience of hormones. I went from feeling I was completely in menopause with dry skin and no vaginal discharge to being on Tamoxifen with tons of discharge to being off everything and trying to figure out status - conflicting hormone levels. And then a period 18 months after the last one and none since. And now I'm back to having the occasional hot flash.

I would discuss it with your MO as some medications can be used to help with hot flash symptoms but also can cause other SE's. Hopefully it will be greatly improved once chemo is done!

TCHP x 6 with pCR. One year of Herceptin. DTI pre-pec surgery. Quit Tamoxifen after 3 months. Dx 11/21/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/19/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 5/9/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 9/9/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 6/26/2020 Evista (raloxifene)

Aug 26, 2018 03:24PM DebAL wrote:

chasing, I'm sorry you are going through this. I also feel like I'm in a furnace with no control however just at night about 2-3 times a night. Not too bad during the day. I'm glad you have just 1 chemo left. Maybe it will subside a bit. I'm almost 3 months out from last chemo. Some take effexor. I'm not there yet but I did just start taking 800 of vitamin E. There are some studies out there on that. My pharmacist actually helped me with that. I will let you know if I get improvement around the 1 month mark. Best wishes to you.

Dx 1/22/2018, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/12/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 2/12/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 4/2/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 12/20/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)