We are 222,007 members in 81 forums discussing 156,526 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Ladies in EARLY 50's.....cancer dx....

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Feb 10, 2019 01:03PM

Jons_girl wrote:

Hi I am curious about something. I found a lump when I was 49. DX happened not long after my 50th bday in 2017. I had surgery, chose no radiation or tamoxifen with my medical oncologists support.

So....with that all said, my question is: "Do you think there is a correlation between going into menopause and dx of breast cancer?" I have been premenopausal the past couple of years. But now I believe I may be in active menopause. (I still have 6 mo to go to have my 1 yr no cycle) I just wonder if my hormones being wonky because of my pre menopausal state could have also contributed to my cancer? Just curious if anyone else has wondered about this.

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Feb 10, 2019 01:28PM GreenHarbor wrote:

Hi Jons girl... I was diagnosed at age 51 (very similar diagnosis to yours!) after being in menopause for 3ish years. Even after the ovaries stop producing estrogen, it’s still made in fat tissues. After all, men get breast cancer too, as well as women in their 30s and 70s. While some cancers, like skin and lung cancer, have more clear cut causes, I really think breast cancer comes from a variety of factors.

Dx 7/5/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 8/22/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/1/2018

Feb 10, 2019 01:56PM Jons_girl wrote:

Hi GreenHarbor: Wow yes we had similar dx. Thanks for sharing! We were dx around the same time too. Interesting. Yeah I know breast cancer is caused probably by many factors. Clearly though hormones play a huge role in breast cancer. Or that is my thought. I thought it might be interesting to find out how many women here are around the same age at time of dx...early 50s. And how menopause may have played into the dx of breast cancer. Just curious. Thank you for your comments! I appreciate that! I hope all is going well with your recovery!

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Feb 10, 2019 02:25PM Cherryi3 wrote:

Hi, 51 here and no periods for 4 years. Just diagnosed this past October. I wondered if my early menopause had something to do with this. I did take hrt for a year and a half. The tumor would have started before the hrt though. I’m still mad at myself for taking it.

Dx 10/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/22/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 10, 2019 02:28PM santabarbarian wrote:

I have a strong suspicion my cancer is hormone related as:

-Nobody in my family of origin has BC or any C. Everyone has lived to 85-96

- Dx was about 2.5 years after menopause

- I was exposed to an endocrine disruptor (DES)

- DES daughters have high rate of POST menopausal BC.

pCR after neoadjuvant chemo w/ integrative practices Dx 7/13/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 8/12/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 12/27/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 2/10/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Feb 10, 2019 02:40PM Jons_girl wrote:

Hi Cherri3: Thank you for sharing your experience! Yeah to me....it is just really interesting that apparently there are more than just myself who got cancer around menopause time.

santabarbara: Thank you for sharing your experience! So your dx was around menopause too. In my family my maternal gma had breast cancer.... my maternal aunt had breast cancer dx two wks prior to my dx. she had lobular. Yet with all this family having cancer....no genes. I had the gene testing and was thankful for my negative results. Just really causing questions as to how I got this and to me it is interesting it has happened not far from when I apparently was going into menopause.

Can you tell me what a endocrine disrupter is? Sorry dumb question probably but not sure what that is. DES? Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Feb 10, 2019 05:06PM Labmom82 wrote:

I've wondered the same. I was diagnosed in October and I am 50. October was my 10th month with no period. I have been in perimenopause for several years having hot flashes and extremely long periods sometimes up to 45 days long and very heavy. Hormones were so out of whack. I will find out at the end of the the month if I am officially in menopause based on lab work

Dx 10/18/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/26/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 1/10/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 10, 2019 05:09PM Jons_girl wrote:

Labmom: Wow.....very interesting! Yes I truly wonder if menopause can cause added issues because of the cycles shutting down. Humm very interesting! Thank you for sharing your experience! Wow well congrats for getting through menopause....sounds like you are nearly there! I have a few months to go!

Feb 10, 2019 10:02PM Meow13 wrote:

I was 53, I went into menopause at 44, my periods stopped completely at age 44.

Feb 10, 2019 10:05PM Jons_girl wrote:

meow-wow ok. So cancer was years after menopause for you. Interesting. Thank you for sharing!!

Feb 10, 2019 10:11PM Meow13 wrote:

Yes, my oncologist was happy that I was post menopausal by 9 years he prescribed AI drugs.

Feb 10, 2019 10:19PM Jons_girl wrote:

yeah being post menopause would change drug options. It’s interesting to me I don’t think they really have any other options other than tamoxifen for those cancer pts who are premenopausal. Wonder if they have drugs they are working on

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)