Join Us

We are 224,943 members in 83 forums discussing 163,795 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mods stepping in when appropriate

Forum: Advocacy — Join here to discuss issues where we can have a voice!

Posted on: Mar 12, 2012 12:30PM

REKoz wrote:

Kudos to our Mods for keeping on top of thread activity. As the originator of the now locked thread; "Get your paps and mammos at Walgreens,"  I feel compelled to explain that I had not even considered the possibility that my post would branch off into the abortion arena. 

I've been a member here long enough to know that many threads have a tendency to veer off from the original topic. I saw that happening prior to this thread entering abortion territory.  My last post was intended to sway the topic toward discussing why I started the thread in the first place.  An obvious fail on my part!  Thank you for being there and doing your job to moderate!  No doubt that topic is too ripe for negativity and nastiness and further serves no purpose.

On the amusement end, I thought the Colbert satire was a giggle worth sharing.  The serious side of the post was about government representatives lying outright to serve a personal agenda. As well as media (ir)responsibility toward reporting verifiable facts, NOT self serving opinions disguised as such. At the current time, Fox is the champion network for practicing this deception as a matter of routine. The orientation of this organization happens to be conservative. I take issue with this practice on a number of levels- none having to do with my political beliefs. 

Judging from the direction the first thread took, I'm guessing there's no need for me to further elaborate on this particular subject.  Unless of course, there are others out there wanting or needing to say something related. I still wonder how many inquiries were received by Walgreens nationwide from women looking to book a pap and mammo. Undecided

Thanks for "giving me the floor."    Ellen

BMX 11/08, Abraxane/Carbo/x4 1/09 Herceptin until 1/10, Recon w expanders-1st exchange Dec. 09. Revision from 700 Style 20 to 600 Style 45-Oct 10 Dx 10/16/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Mar 12, 2012 06:11PM coraleliz wrote:

Ellen- I loved your Walgeens/Pap smear post. I shared it with friends & co-workers. I want to start laughing thinking about itLaughing. Would have never imagined it would have caused problems.

Dx 2/28/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/15/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Mar 12, 2012 07:26PM cycle-path wrote:

Anyone who wants to continue the Walgreens discussion, and like issues, is welcome to do so on the Uppity Women Unite googlegroup. To join, go to http://groups.google.com/group/uppity-women-unite or send an email to upitty-women-unite+subscribe@googlegroups.com
I am an Uppity Woman. Don't like my posts? Put me on IGNORE. Dx 12/10/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 13, 2012 07:28AM Pompeed wrote:

I just gotta say, on the topic of Walgreens and CVS, that minute clinic operations at such places, where one can get a very minor cut cleaned and bandaged, advice relative to one's medications, a temperature taken, blood pressure, respirations and heart rate taken, some simple first aid administered and vaccinations for which such facilities have special licenses, this is all well below the level of what is really a concern at the level of the ER for serious concerns or even the local day clinic for concerns below the standard for an ER visit.  Nothing offered at these facilities has anything to do with the minimum necessary for a basic, general checkup.  Much less any speciality.  And any pharmacist with an operational brain will send someone in need of services above minute clinic license limitiations to a competent medical provider.

As above: there is so much MIS-information about all sorts of medical information (like the claim that there's a "cure" for breast cancer that the FDA won't approve for use in humans just cause it's a stubborn governmental agency and wants us all to die instead) we should not be adding to FALSE claims with suggestions that one can get a competent medical check up right down the street at the local CVS. Just ain't so and we should be adamant that phony false claims should not pass without serious challenge.

Mar 13, 2012 09:04AM Bren-2007 wrote:

REKoz .. I really enjoyed your Walgreen's thread.  I'm sorry it was locked.

I realize the mods have a tough job to do and I'm thankful for them ... just wish there was a way to have kept the thread going.  There was no reason at all to be discussing abortion.

Bren

Mar 13, 2012 10:00AM ShirleyHughes wrote:

Anyone with a single brain cell would know that pharmaceutical clinics cannot treat serious illnesses.  And, if someone decided to use one of those clinics for that reason, they would find out very soon that no, pap, etc., are not done.  Just like when one goes to a urgent care clinic...they can x-ray for a broken bone, but they can only refer you to the ER or suggest you see your orth if indeed you have a broken bone.

I think women here are quite intelligent.  No need for a bunch of hoop-la.  Wink

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference

Mar 13, 2012 10:55AM AlaskaAngel wrote:

Sounds like I missed something pretty good here, Ellen! Nice try though...

Dx 12/3/2001, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 1/3/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 3/12/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2002 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2002 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Mar 13, 2012 12:24PM - edited Aug 17, 2012 02:20PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Mar 14, 2012 04:57PM - edited Mar 14, 2012 04:58PM by 1Athena1

Just saw the Youtube clip - too funny! My biggest laugh was when he talked about getting colonoscopies at the photo center. Who needs healthcare when we have our local drugstore, right?

----

Fox is News

The above is not intended to be a factual statment. Tongue out

Anyone diagnosed with cancer should learn to have a healthy disrespect for statistics. Statistics are maths. It's the science which still eludes us. Dx 3/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 14, 2012 09:34PM pickle wrote:

Athena...lol. Great last line..and that is meant to be a factual statement.

Dx

Mar 15, 2012 01:41PM - edited Aug 17, 2012 02:20PM by del4

This Post was deleted by del4.

Mar 15, 2012 06:15PM cycle-path wrote:

Careful, ladies... you know what happens when you tick off the Flat Earthers... they report your posts!

I am an Uppity Woman. Don't like my posts? Put me on IGNORE. Dx 12/10/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)