We are 197,863 members in 81 forums discussing 145,395 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Positive Genetic Test Results → Topic: BRIP1 help?

Topic: BRIP1 help?

Forum: Positive Genetic Test Results —

BRCA 1 & 2, ATM, CDH1, CHEK2, MRE11A, NBN, p53, PALB2, PTEN, RAD50, RECQL, and RINT1 genes

Posted on: Dec 6, 2017 06:58PM

GeneticConfusion wrote:

I received results today that I am positive for the mutation BRIP1 but do not have any contact with my doctor that ordered the test. I’m not sure now what kind of doctor I should see or follow up with, or if I should have any concern

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Dec 6, 2017 10:02PM Moderators wrote:

Hi GeneticConfusion-

You should follow-up with a genetic counselor, who can go over the results with you in detail. Your insurance should be able to recommend someone, or you can ask your doctor for a referral. Once you have more information, the genetic counselor should be able to advise you on how to proceed.

The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 6, 2017 11:48PM Lula73 wrote:

Hi genetic confusion- your local cancer center should have a genetic testing counselor and they’ll go over all that with you. Sometimes the testing company has a counselor to go over it too (I know Counsyl does). Anyway I also tested positive and in a nutshell was told that BRIP1 increases risk for ovarian cancer and recommended to remove ovaries around age 45-50. Counsyl coysor said there was a BC risk increase but had no numbers for me. Genetic counselor at cancer center said now they are thinking there isn’t a connection with BC so who knows. Definitely more definitive on the ovarian cancer. So I had mine out 11/2 (I’m 43 and have BC diagnosis). My sister also tested positive - she does not have BC - and she will have hers out in about 5 years (she just turned 40). Hope this helps!

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/2/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)