Topic: Life Insurance

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: May 1, 2009 07:55AM

Posted on: May 1, 2009 07:55AM

fionamag wrote:

Hello

Has anyone tried to get Life Insurance?  I know its a shot in the dark but I thought I would check

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

May 1, 2009 05:54PM Watson wrote:

It would depend on your current stage and how long ago you were diagnosed.  Probably won't be easy or cheap if available at all.

Good luck,

Watson

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. - Billy Joel Dx 1/29/2008, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 1, 2009 06:08PM Analemma wrote:

I can't imagine a company issuing life insurance to a Stage IV cancer patient.  As far as risk assessment goes, that's a loser for the insurance company.  They are, after all, in the insurance business to make a profit.  If they don't think that you will pay in premiums the amount they will pay out, then it's a losing proposition for them.  You're better off to start saving.

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. --John W. Whitehead Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/12 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 1, 2009 07:31PM Watson wrote:

Stage 4 forget about it.  But DCIS could MAYBE get it.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. - Billy Joel Dx 1/29/2008, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 1, 2009 07:32PM Makratz wrote:

I tried and was denied.  IDC stage 1.  Sucks!

Linda...♥♥♥ Never, never, never give up ~ Winston Churchill

May 1, 2009 11:05PM portiasproudmom wrote:

No kidding, Linda!!  That really does suck!!

Dx 8/27/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 2, 2009 01:36AM - edited May 2, 2009 01:40AM by ddlatt

i know several stage 3s (breast cancer) who have gotten life insurance after diagnosis. their premiums are high, but they are covered 100% for their cancer treatment. 

this is an excellent resource re: finding health insurance after having been diagnosed. (scroll down to "financing issues")

ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/Int... 

this is info about the susan komen hotline. they may have some suggestions for you:

ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/187... 

DX age 54. IDC. Stage 1, 1.2cm tumor 1 millimeter from chest wall. Had ultrasound, MRI, core-needle biopsy. Sentinel node biopsy (nodes clear) and double mastectomy 11/20/08, no reconstruction. AC/ Taxol, 35 tomotherapy radiation treatments. Dx 10/3/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

May 2, 2009 02:39AM Brenda_R wrote:

AARP has a guarenteed life program. You don't have to belong to AARP, but the premiums are high and I think it has a limited pay out for the first 2 years.

I have a small amount of life insurance and would like to up it, but am afraid they would ask the routine "have you had or been treated for these diseases in the last 2 to 5 years?". I'm afraid they'd find a way to drop me after I've paid for years on my policy. 

I did look at the AARP one and it is a stiff premium for little coverage, but it would be enough to take care of "expenses" if you need it.

Dx 12/12/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/17 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 12/28/2006 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 1/27/2007 AC Radiation Therapy 4/30/2007 Breast Targeted Therapy 7/9/2007 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

May 2, 2009 06:05PM Analemma wrote:

ddlatt, you mention life insurance for stage 3's, but then you say that cancer treatment is covered.  So is it life insurance, or health insurance?

Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see. --John W. Whitehead Dx 12/10/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/12 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Scroll to top button