Topic: Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP)

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Jul 2, 2010 04:52PM - edited Jul 2, 2010 04:52PM by MaryNY

Posted on: Jul 2, 2010 04:52PM - edited Jul 2, 2010 04:52PM by MaryNY

MaryNY wrote:

Yesterday he U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) launched a new online tool that "will help consumers take control of their healthcare by connecting them to new information and resources that will help them access quality, affordable health care coverage. Called for by the Affordable Care Act, www.HealthCare.gov  is the first website to provide consumers with both public and private health coverage options tailored specifically for their needs in a single, easy-to-use tool."

Under the new law, people who have been denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition and who have been uninsured for at least six months may qualify to buy insurance. Read about the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP); then use the PCIP Map to learn more about how the program works in your state.Premiums will vary depending on the state you live in. (But as an example, if you live in a state where the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services provides coverage, the premium for an age 50 year old enrollee may range between $320 and $570, depending on state of residence. For an estimated premium range for your state, go to that state on the website map below.)

While you can apply for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan today, the premium rates won't be officially available until July 15. If you apply before July 15, and are determined to be eligible for enrollment you will be notified by mail of the premium. Then, you'll send in your payment to finalize your enrollment in the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.

Mary ~~ lumpectomy 8/10/2009, Oncotype DX 18, Chemo 10/28/09--2/1/10 AC*4, CMF*4 Dx 5/19/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Jul 12, 2010 04:38PM lvtwoqlt wrote:

Crabbie, The agent I checked with last week about the private policy said that I could get on the state plan now but it cost more per week than my husband's policy (closeer to all of my unemployment per week). Like Anne said, I am not in active treatment, just follow-up appointments with my doctors every 6 months and not even on tamox or AI so my hubby's plan wouldn't be a 'bad' option. He is actually on more meds than I am (diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol) but 2 of the 4 meds he takes are generic we can get at Walmart cheap without insurance coverage.

Sheila

Women are like tea bags, we don't know how strong we are until we were thrown into hot water. Eleanore Roosevelt Diagnosed ADH Feb 2005, ADH Sept 2006 Surgery 2/11/2005 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 9/9/2006 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2006 Dx 4/27/2007, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes Surgery 5/31/2007 Mastectomy: Left, Right

Jul 13, 2010 10:03PM crabbiepattie wrote:

Hi Sheila,

Well, a major-medical group plan is better than an individual plan anyway.  Sending good luck thoughts your way on the job hunt.

Hugs,
crabbie

Dx 6/8/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 1/11 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 29, 2010 10:44AM lago wrote:

I'm currenlty doing research on this myself.  Some Employer (cobra) plans allow you to transfer. Check it your employer offers a TCA wire transfer. 

I just found out that my cobra ends this december instead of April of 2011 (like 5 minutes ago). I was just diagnosed and still don't have a surgery date. I know that I will not be able to get insured unless I get  into the state high risk pool. I've been healthy all my life paying insurance and now when I need it they basically say F-you.

Here are some other links you might want to check out, especially the first on: 

http://www.cobrahealth.com/statehighriskpools.html
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/17/business/fi-rescind17
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/hepC/cobra-2.html

DONE!! goo.gl/IoaN6U • Tattoos 2.7.2012 • Nipples 10.6.2011 • Exchange 6.24.2011 • Chemo 1.18. 2011 • BMX 8.31.2010 Dx 7/13/2010, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 30, 2010 05:28PM - edited Jul 30, 2010 05:29PM by browneyedgurl

Also check into the BCCTP PLAN -- The Breast Cancer and Cervical Treatment Plan. Every state has it and is managed through Medicaide...In my state, AZ, it is managed through ACHHS, and from what I hear, the coverage is very good.

I applied to the PCIP....Does anyone know who is underwriting the PCIP?  I need to go see a surgeon, but can't because I dont know who the Insurance Company is and if they take it. I did an application on CIGNA.COM .... got a decline letter within 5 days ...that is all I needed to apply ...  

Also, if you are unemployed...your COBRA payments are less..

Colleen 

Dx 7/20/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 3

Jul 30, 2010 07:30PM Dovehome wrote:

Hi, read this thread just because I wanted to gain some information about coverage if I am to change jobs.  Thanks for the links posted as they are good references.

Right after reading this I went to my facebook page and found a new post from a friend about wanting to meet a courageous lady? and it had a link to her web page:  www.theinsurancewarrior.com.  Wasn't sure what it was all about but watched her 2 videos about her battle in fighting appeals to insurance companies for coverage of treatment.  I'm not advocating this site or know this lady...just wanted to share.  There may be someone here that might need to obtain some direction in getting help in fighting for health insurance coverage and possibly this could help.  I'd suggest to do your research on her as you would normally do when buying something on the internet.  She had some good tips I thought.

Surgery 3/3/2009 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Dx 3/4/2009, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/29/2009 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 10/18/2009 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 2/9/2010 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/11/2012 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 1/1/2013 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery 4/30/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

Page 3 of 3 (25 results)

Scroll to top button