Topic: SOC SEC QUESTION

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Sep 30, 2010 11:22AM

Posted on: Sep 30, 2010 11:22AM

imbell wrote:

I am getting Social Security pension benefits from when I woriked in the USA. Got a letter stating that they were going to pay me a benefit "as a wife". Now my husband is very muchd alive so what is a wife's benefit? Can't find anything on line.

Dx 9/10/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Sep 30, 2010 11:54AM redsox wrote:

Did the letter list a payment amount?  Is it bigger than what you are now getting?  Depending on the circumstances you can receive benefits either based on your own earnings or based on being the spouse under your husband's earnings -- whichever is greater. 

Dx 2009, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2010 01:17PM imbell wrote:

The letter said it was in addition to my benefit. I need to call Grand Forks becuase I have learned over the years if something is too good to be true it usually isn't. Funny thing is I have been a wife the whole time and turned 66 on December 27 last year.

Dx 9/10/2009, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 5/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 30, 2010 06:44PM - edited Aug 20, 2013 02:51AM by redsox

Yes, call and ask them to explain the basis for it.  The rules are complicated and they refigure it at certain times or after some events.  I don't know the details but it is probably true. 

Also, ask them when the change is effective if the letter does not say. It might be retroactive for some period.

Dx 2009, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2010 05:18AM lauri wrote:

Did your husband just file for Social Security ??  That might have triggered something.

From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success Dx 3/8/2006, ILC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 11/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/15/2021, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Hormonal Therapy 11/27/2021 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 12/2/2021 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast Surgery Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 4, 2010 12:18PM sue-61 wrote:

http://www.ssa.gov/

This is quite a comprehensive site but maybe you can find answers there. I agree, it sounds too good to be true. I am collecting widow's benefits, which will be more than mine will ever be......but I have never heard of getting additional benefits. I am no expert on this matter, believe me.  I would definitely call them and get the name (first and last if you can) of the person you speak to. 

And keep us posted. Good luck, Sue 

"Always maintain a kind of summer even in the middle of winter"~~~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Oct 4, 2010 12:25PM worldwatcher wrote:

I was able to collect $80 more per month over and above MY earnings benefit when my husband's earnings benefit was factored it.

When he died, I was then awarded 100% of his benefit.  A quick call to the SSA 800 number should answer your questions.

I lived and now live in the US so I don't know if there is a difference for non-residents.

Lumpectomy, 7/2010, clean PET scan 8/2010, Contura five-day rads, No chemo. Tamox 3/11, clean bone scan 5/2011,clean mammo/ultrasound 8/2012, small seroma gradually shrinking with no problems.

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Scroll to top button