Topic: COBRA JERKS

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: May 13, 2011 12:12PM

Posted on: May 13, 2011 12:12PM

pil wrote:

OOHHHH the timing is great.  My husband looses his job along with 44 others the same day. 

 We elect cobra for me because of my breast issues.  We paid our payment upon electing coverage within 1 week we recieved it.  I even got 2 payment coupons saying when its due andmy account number.

Now, hospital is trying to authorize coverage.  They call they say we opt out and here we already have paid with coupons to pay next month. 

I HATE these people.   They only activate your account if you demand it. Meanwhile they take your money. 

 I got through to cobra in india  !!!!!!!!!!!!!   He said it would take 24 to 48 hours for my account to activate, and I said no, please get this done now. You had our check and it already cleared you should have activated this account at payment receipt. You even send me coupons to pay you for next month.  Activate it now.  I told him I am recording this and I need it done now.  He then said hold on he would call athem blue cross blue shield and do this.

I have been on hold while he is supposedly activating it now 10 minutes.

 OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the stresss this is causing me. 

Diagnosis: Diagnosis: 5/2/2011, 1-1.9cm-Papillary Carcinoma - Grade 1 - 5/25/11 Lumpectomy, removed 6 nodes. Clear Margins 5 Years of Aromasin therapy. Dx 5/2/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 12:21PM Luan wrote:

I know Pil, we certainly do not need any added stupid administrative mumbo jumbo (especially from India !) stress to our load - hope everything works out

Don't knock at death's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that. Dx 10/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 12:21PM tracie23 wrote:

BCBS is saying all of my issues are pre existing and asked for refunds from all of the health care providers. Because my husband had lost his job and I could not afford cobra I get private insurance and than I get BC I know your pain with the insurance companies.... I will keep you in my prayers. I am also sending you BIG BIG hugs !!!!

Dx 6/3/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 02:12PM pil wrote:

yay!!!     record the conversation and tell them  ONLY when your not getting them to do what is right.    ha ha   that worked.  I got a call from the hospital and they happily reported I have been approved.   She said someone must have done something, I said yes, probably recording helped a lot in top of the woman at financial office too.  Now the weekend will be GREAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Diagnosis: Diagnosis: 5/2/2011, 1-1.9cm-Papillary Carcinoma - Grade 1 - 5/25/11 Lumpectomy, removed 6 nodes. Clear Margins 5 Years of Aromasin therapy. Dx 5/2/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 02:14PM pil wrote:

oh, I asked the lady who called to let me know I had been approved how much the complete procedure was.     9,000 for a full body scan MRI and a dye injection.  WOW

I cannot imagine what a simple lumpectomy is going to be not to mention one boob mastectomy or a bmx.... GOOD heavens.

Diagnosis: Diagnosis: 5/2/2011, 1-1.9cm-Papillary Carcinoma - Grade 1 - 5/25/11 Lumpectomy, removed 6 nodes. Clear Margins 5 Years of Aromasin therapy. Dx 5/2/2011, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 02:43PM o2bhealthy wrote:

Oh the joys of COBRA!  I am glad everything worked out for you pil!  

Michelle ~ DCIS and IDC - Thyroid Cancer dx 10-27-10, partial thyroidectomy 11-23-10 Dx 5/15/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 6/23/2009 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 7/19/2009 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/19/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/11/2009 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2009
Log in to post a reply

May 13, 2011 07:53PM edwards750 wrote:

pil - I am floored by the cost of the procedures too. I have not even gotten the BS's bill; I am sure Fedex will have to deliver it because it is so BIG...BCBS is paying 100% now because we have met our deductible which for the record was $5k. I have heard horror stories about bills being as high as $150k...At least my doctors are in the network - only ones I would have - so they have to charge what BCBS allows; otherwise I am sure the bills would be double what they are. By the way I had a lumpectomy too. If I get the bill from the BS I will post the cost. Diane

Log in to post a reply

May 14, 2011 07:36AM tracie23 wrote:

I am so happy all is working out for you great job fighting for what is yours..... My entire double mx with overnight stay , chemo 8 rounds etc.... 110K and that is going through a county hospital I can't even imagine it at a private oncologist, one session of chemo down the street from me (private office) $7500.00 x 8 plus everything else.... YIKES!!

Dx 6/3/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

May 20, 2011 03:07PM Thriver wrote:

What state are you in?  I fight insurance companies on behalf of cancer patients.   I am in California.  You are right.  It is outrageous that you have to go through this.  But I do run into this sort of thing frequently.  In California, I call the state agency that oversees the insurance company if they don't give in - Department of Insurance or the Department of Managed Health Care.  Your state must have a similar agency.  Also, you can call your regional Cobra office. 

Thriver

Log in to post a reply

Jun 12, 2011 01:20PM Medigal wrote:

I called Blue Cross the COBRA for my DD and told them I had a copy of the check showing it was cashed by the company and wanted to know why it was not activated.  BC told me they had a department set up to take care of these matters and they would call the company and get it activated immediately.  I have not checked because they are closed on Sundays.  Tomorrow I will call BC again to make sure it was activated.  COBRA is too expensive to have to put up with additional headaches!

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Scroll to top button