Topic: Insurance and a new job

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Jun 28, 2011 03:35AM

Posted on: Jun 28, 2011 03:35AM

aimee4 wrote:

I have recently moved and started a new job, and have picked up their insurance. I currently still have my husbands insurance as well - and was planning on dropping his as soon as my insurance kicked in. 

I received a letter from my insurance stating that if i have been treated for a condition in the past 180 days it is considered a preexisting condition. My plan was to drop my husbands insurance so he could quit his job and move. 

I had read that because I have existing insurance that the new insurance I picked up would have to take me and my preexisting conditions, but according to my new insurance this does not go into effect until 2014. 

Heres my question. Do I call new insurance and see exactly they will cover? Do I just go to a doctor and see if the reject it? Any other suggestions on what to do? When would be the best time for my husband to drop his insurance?

Any information provided is much appreciated. 

Page 1 of 2 (18 results)

Jun 28, 2011 04:09AM dogeyed wrote:

I'm not an expert, but logic tells me your husband will need to keep his insurance as long as you are still receiving treatments for cancer.  But yes, do call your "new" insurance and have a talk with them about what they DO cover in the way of OTHER health issues, like can you still get copays to visit a doc for yearly checkups, will you still be fully covered after deductible if you wind up in the hospital from a car wreck, whatever questions concern you.  It could be if they just won't touch cancer treatments, and you have been released as no longer having cancer in your body, then you have to weigh the possibility of recurrence against your husband quitting his job and moving and losing his insurance.  I'm not a gambling person, so being so close to whenever your treatment ended would make me want to revise life plans for the next year or so, putting off husband quitting work. 

IBC, IDC, Melanoma/ 5 mos ACT chemo, mastectomy, rads to 11/2011, Arimidex 1 mo, NED 9/2012, two+yr survivor 5/2013 Dx 2/14/2011, IDC, 5cm, Grade 3, 2/11 nodes, ER+

Jun 28, 2011 04:19AM Megadotz wrote:

Aimee4,

Under the existing HIPAA rules you should not be subject to  Pre-existing condition exlclusion as long as you have a certificate of creditiable coverage from your previous job.  There needs to be no gap of coverage, so you may need to take the COBRA from the previous job to cover any gap period.

Here's the FAQ sheet form department of labor: 

www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_cons... 

Hope this helps,

Meg 

Dx 3/12/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 28, 2011 04:28AM mrsnjband wrote:

Aimee,

The letter you get is always difficult to understand.  But unless you have a laspe in coverage you don't have to worry about pre-existing condition.  As long as you don't have a laspe of more than 63 days you should be fine.  If you scroll down in the link to the above document to the third section you will see the reference I am referring to. This is current law, I don't know how things will change in 2014.  Hope this helps. NJ  

Norma June, Bi-lateral MX 2008, Bi-lateral DIEP 2011 Dx 1/10/2008, IBC, <1cm, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/24/2008 AC Chemotherapy 3/9/2008 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 5/28/2008 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/9/2008 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/10/2008 Surgery 8/14/2011 Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery 8/14/2011 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap Surgery 12/11/2011 Reconstruction (left)

Jun 28, 2011 06:04AM Megadotz wrote:

Hi again,

I just realized that you said that you are currently on your husband's insurance.   All you need is the  certificate of creditiable insurance from his in company, for him too if you're going to add him to yours so he can quit his job. 

Good Luck,

Meg

P.S.. HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

Jun 28, 2011 09:47AM aimee4 wrote:

Thanks for all the help. I spoke with insurance, and the prexisting condition is waived. I have the proof of insurance from his company, and (hopefully) everything runs smoothly from here on out. 

Jun 28, 2011 09:57AM Paula1231 wrote:

This is really good news.  I had no idea the insurance companies had to cover you for preexisting if you already had insurance.  Is this in all states?

Miles to go before I sleep. LBMX on 8/17/10.TE with Alloderm. OncoDX score 18. 4 AC + 4 Taxol DD. Chemo done 2-3-11 Start Tamox 2/24/11. Implant & Maxopexy 3/29/11. Nipp recon & fat trans 7/12/11. Nip Tat 10/6/11 DONE!! Started Femara on 3/28/13. Dx 6/26/2010, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 28, 2011 10:19AM Chickadee wrote:

I believe HIPAA is a federal rule or law so it should be effective nationwide.

I'm in such bad shape, I'm wearing prescription underwear." Phyllis Diller 1917-2012 Dx 9/1/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 28, 2011 10:41AM Megadotz wrote:

Yes, HIPAA is a federal law (went into effect in 1996).

Here's the link to the FAQ about health insurance portability:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Ther's another part about privacy that folks have been hearing more about.

Jul 5, 2011 07:20AM jdootoo wrote:

mrsnjband: You posted that as long as the lapse in coverage is less than 63 days, we would be considered to have continuous coverage. This is great news for me since my DH just started a new job and we will have a 2 month lapse in coverage unless we opt for Cobra. In New York, Cobra costs are around $1000/mo. for just the 2 of us, an amount we cannot afford.

Where did you find out this information? I would just like to confirm this before I make any decisions. Thanks for the info!

One love, Jackie

There's a natural mystic blowing through the air; If you listen carefully now you will hear. This could be the first trumpet, might as well be the last: Many more will have to suffer, Many more will have to die - don't ask me why. -- Bob Marley Dx 1/29/2010, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 6/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 5, 2011 05:25PM cycle-path wrote:

jdootoo and clyn, both those issues are addressed in the document megadotz listed.
I am an Uppity Woman. Don't like my posts? Put me on IGNORE. Dx 12/10/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1 of 2 (18 results)

Scroll to top button