Topic: Insurance companies should cover wigs

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Mar 26, 2012 11:22AM

Posted on: Mar 26, 2012 11:22AM

Ulightup wrote:

Hi. I am starting this topic to see if any of you have also been denied coverage for a wig. I strongly feel that EVERY insurance company should cover the cost of at least one wig or provide some compensation. It's bad enough that we have to undergo chemo and all of the side effects especially losing our hair, but to know that the insurance company will not cover the cost or partial cost of a wig is outrageous. They make it sound that the wig is not a valuable or necessary part of our recovery. I think most women would agree that loosing our hair is one of the most devastating part of treatment. This is my second round with breast cancer. I was very fortunate with the first Diagnosis in 2005 with DCIS and opted for a mastectomy therefore did not require chemotherapy or radiation. Iin January of this year I was diagnosed with a new/ cancer recurrence stage one requiring chemotherapy and radiation. I can tell you that losing my hair was much more devastating than losing a breast. Does anyone else feel
this way? Let's all start to lobby for coverage of wigs.

Dx 1/17/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IB, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 4 (33 results)

Oct 3, 2016 02:54PM katsie wrote:

P.S. Sherri's wigs are not super expensive like so many are. I bought my first one for $63.00, but if you have to buy another, it really adds up, and not everybody has $63.00 to buy one, because cancer treatment is so outrageously expensive. I have to Sherri wigs that I don't like on me. I wish I could give them to some of you. I don't want anything for them, but I also hate that they just sit in boxes and others could use them. Could the admin of this site let me know if there is a way to do this? Ty.

Oct 3, 2016 03:35PM mustlovepoodles wrote:

Cigna has agreed to pay for my wig. My MO wrote a prescription for a "cranial prosthesis for mental health" and they didn't bat an eye. IMO, the wig was absolutely a necessity to my mental health. I cost a lot, over $300, but it looked stunning. I think it should be federally mandated that post-chemo patients who lose their hair should be covered for a wig, just like they get covered for reconstruction.

Oncotype 23. Positive for PALB2 & Chek2 gene mutations. My breasts are trying to kill me! Dx 7/20/2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 8/20/2015 Lumpectomy Surgery 9/3/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 10/19/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/4/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 10/19/2016 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Surgery

Oct 4, 2016 03:58AM - edited Oct 4, 2016 04:00AM by Icietla

Hi katsie. That is very generous and thoughtful of you to help others this way.

Here is a link to our Free-Cycle section. The rules are few and simple:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/149

My latest (Stage IVB) diagnosis is almost certainly of another distant primary type. To the best of my information and belief, I am still apparently what we call NED as to breast cancer, doubtless thanks to Letrozole. Dx 2/12/2016, ILC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/19/2016 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 4/25/2016 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/2018, Stage IV

Page 4 of 4 (33 results)

Scroll to top button