We are 193,347 members in 81 forums discussing 143,423 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues → Topic: Oncology Nurse with Breast Cancer

Topic: Oncology Nurse with Breast Cancer

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues —

Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Mar 21, 2016 07:38PM

Cricket610 wrote:

Hello! I am new to this forum, although was diagnosed with breast cancer May 2015. ILC, Stage 1, Grade II, lumpectomy, 2 re-excisions, radiation and Tamoxifen. I am an oncology nurse myself, now working in a radiation unit, but spent many years in medical oncology as well. In the midst of treatment, my knowledge helped me to not be overwhelmed, but working in the field definitely brings a unique perspective. Wondering if there are many other oncology nurses within these forums?

Dx 5/2015, ILC, Stage I, Grade II, ER/PR positive, Her-2 neu negative, Lumpectomy, Radiation and Tamoxifen

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Mar 22, 2016 04:43AM kareenie wrote:

Hi cricket I'm not a nurse but I know there are a lot of nurses on the boards. While waiting for them to notice your post, you could check out these old threads I found:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5/topics/...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5/topics/...

ILC 1994 & 2009, Endometrial CA 2005, DES dau, Chemo, Rads, Femara, Prolia, MRM L, ALND, PNSMX R, LE, FG

Mar 22, 2016 07:44AM dtad wrote:

Hi Cricket. Im a RN with home care and hospice experience. Weird being on the other side of the fence!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 22, 2016 11:01AM Maureen1 wrote:

Hi (((Cricket))) - I am an RN, I spent the last 18 years of my career working in breast care centers so I've had to be with women many times when they "got the news" that the "routine screening mammogram" showed something abnormal and then the follow up news that it was cancer. I thought I always I knew the "right" things to say and what to do during these difficult conversations until I found myself on the other side of the cot - getting my own news, hearing my own diagnosis...wow...it was eye opening in so many ways. I've learned so much from my patients and from my own experience, now I am trying to use my new knowledge to help other women. I'd like to thank you for being an oncology nurse...I'm sure it is a difficult job and there must be trying times...when I went thru chemo I came to realize just how wonderful my oncology nurses were in supporting me and helping me cope with the emotional and physical side effects...I hope you are doing well...(((Hugs))) Maureen

Dx 7/31/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 3/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/6/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 9/19/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 3/4/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Hormonal Therapy 3/19/2013 Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy 7/22/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/23/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant

Mar 24, 2016 08:21AM vlnrph wrote:

I happen to be a retired pharmacist who specialized in geriatric care when I was employed. I met a nurse recently who had breast cancer and also worked in oncology. I'll ask if she's interested in joining this discussion.

IDC too! Rt MX/DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema as of 9-18-11; switch to letrozole 3-15-14; Discovery made during chemo=I'm a human BEING, not a human DOING Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 24, 2016 08:42AM StaceySue2U wrote:

I'm a nurse. I did ICU, ER, rehab and then my last position was in home care and hospice. I was just getting ready to start travel nursing and had already resigned from my previous position when I fractured my pelvis was also diagnosed with breast cancer. So now I'm an unemployed nurse with breast cancer.....worrying about when I'll be able to get back to work again has been one of the hardest parts of this challenge. Also - in ICU, ER, and hospice I only saw the worst case scenarios with breast cancer so this whole thing has scared the bejeesus out of me. Glad to meet other nurses here.

Age 46 at diagnosis - the babies in my avatar are my two adorable granddaughters, Azalea and Violet :) The lights of my life. Dx 1/28/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/25/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 3/22/2016 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/2/2016 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 24, 2016 08:51AM Cricket610 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies! It is very weird "being on the other side of the fence"! It has it's benefits and challenges for sure. I have seen so much in our practice, I was definitely not surprised by my diagnosis. I think I actually find a lot of comfort in knowing more, even though I know what CAN happen, too. I kinda went into autopilot mode at the beginning, and some thought I was in denial, but I was just not rocked by it, and understanding the process, I was not overwhelmed, which was huge I think. But because I see so much, I think in my mind I downplayed my own disease at the beginning, and didn't let myself fully grieve it all, because I constantly saw those who had worse cases. I did slowly go through my own process of "grieving". But in the end, I was SO thankful that I just needed radiation (I received it where I work, which was weird and wonderful) , and although I HATE Tamoxifen, I am thankful I can take it, and have never missed a dose :) It's great to get support from those who have their own story, but understand in a way that others can't. I wish you all the best!!

Dx 5/2015, ILC, Stage I, Grade II, ER/PR positive, Her-2 neu negative, Lumpectomy, Radiation and Tamoxifen

Sep 7, 2016 02:55AM - edited Sep 7, 2016 02:56AM by Irony

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I'm happy I found it. While I'm not a nurse, I am a sonographer that specializes in breast ultrasound. I actually found my own IDC.

It is strange waiting for my surgery, while screening others for breast cancer. Whenever I saw something suspicious on ultrasound in the past I would think to myself, "This poor woman's life is about to change forever. " I wasn't expecting to be "this poor woman".

44 y/o IDC/DCIS 5mm Grade 1 ER+/PR+ HER2 -

Sep 7, 2016 02:22PM edwards750 wrote:

Sorry Irony. My sister recently told me her oncologist just died from BC. Somehow we think they are immune but unfortunately no one is.

Diane

Sep 12, 2017 06:31AM Binniebin wrote:

hi, im a chemo nurse just diagnosed. I'm awaiting my lumpectomy and sentinel node box results but the core bx says 1.5 cm poorly differentiated. So I think I'm in for chemo and not sure how it will go being treated where I work. Has anyone else been in the same boat as me. Ours is the only chemo unit in town

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)