We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,988 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone ElseTerrified about Repeal of ACA Bill

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues —

Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Jul 15, 2017 10:35AM

sfar wrote:

Just wondering how people are coping with the constant threat to our health care coverage due to our pre-existing conditions. I've always believed that you need to take action when you're feeling stressed and threatened and this health insurance issue is driving me crazy. I have contacted my senators but both of them are on the same page with me. When I tried to contact the moderate "on the fence" GOPs, they don't accept email from people outside of their state. It just seems so out of our control right now and I hate that feeling. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dx 2/24/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 3/30/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 4/20/2016 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/20/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 9/12/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/17/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 15 of 15 (428 results)

Posts 421 - 428 (428 total)

Sep 6, 2019 07:00PM pupmom wrote:

Lumpie, it means ZIP. Oh, and for example, how about that hurricane threat for Alabama? Smile

Life is what happens while we're making other plans. Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 6, 2019 08:18PM Lumpie wrote:

Pupmom: yeah... my expectations are low.... but I try to remain willing to be pleasantly surprised. I know that we are all grateful that it would appear that Alabama has been spared.

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Sep 7, 2019 08:52AM pupmom wrote:

Lumpie, yes I'm grateful, despite dire warnings from on high, and a sharpie graph to illustrate the threat, lol.

Life is what happens while we're making other plans. Dx 10/18/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/21 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 8, 2019 06:45PM Lumpie wrote:

The Scourge of Worker Wellness Programs Employers have become obsessed with improving the health of their employees. But does it do anyone any good?

...wellness programs ... are ...a way for employers to save money.

Some... levying up to thousands of dollars in fines on workers who refuse to participate in wellness campaigns or fail to meet certain biometric measures of health. {These policies can} translate to a material punishment for those with physical disabilities {and others}.

These policies "reinforce the notion that your employer should be responsible for your health, thereby making employee health a business expense."

Health care in this country would be simpler and more humane if employers were simply removed from the equation.

https://newrepublic.com/article/154890/scourge-worker-wellness-programs?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Special_Report

{Timing is everything. I decided to post this link after hearing from friends about shockingly intrusive "wellness" programs in their workplace and strategies for dealing with said programs: i.e.: place fit bit in dryer. Regarding the source, readers may consult the media bias rating post above (8/4/2019) should they be so inclined.}

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right

Sep 9, 2019 10:03AM Lumpie wrote:

The National Health Law Program has published two items regarding healthcare proposals and options:

Universal Health Care Guideposts and Principles ("white paper")

https://9kqpw4dcaw91s37kozm5jx17-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Universal-Health-Care-Guideposts-and-Principles-formatted.pdf

Medicare-for-All? Public Option? What Does It All Mean for Low-Income Individuals?

https://healthlaw.org/medicare-for-all-public-option-what-does-it-all-mean-for-low-income-individuals/

Sep 13, 2019 10:41AM Lumpie wrote:

Use of an Online Crowdfunding Platform for Unmet Financial Obligations in Cancer Care

Technologic innovations, expensive new therapies, and improved access to treatment have all contributed to the rising costs of oncologic care in the United States.1 The financial consequences for patients and their families are substantial. Patients with cancer often borrow money, avoid leisure activities, decrease food spending, sell possessions, go into debt, and/or declare bankruptcy,2 and they are at greater risk for disability or unemployment.3 These consequences are particularly great for patients who are underinsured or uninsured. Recently, online crowdfunding platforms are being increasingly used to supplement insurance and defray expenses, even for experimental and unproven treatments.4 We sought to characterize the use of crowdfunding to support oncology care needs, including any association between insurance status and other characteristics.

JAMA Intern Med. Published online September 9, 2019.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedic...

doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.3330

Sep 13, 2019 06:37PM Lumpie wrote:

I Shed My White Coat to Find the Healthcare Bloat A lot has gone wrong and more money won't fix it

Healthcare stakeholders are playing a game, marking up the price of medical care, then secretly discounting it depending on who's paying.

We learned that one-third of hospitals in one state had sued patients, some very aggressively. One Virginia hospital ... had sued over 25,000 people in a town of 28,000...

I was also encouraged to see outrage among doctors when I had explained to them that, unbeknownst to them, their patients had been sued for services they provided.

One-third of women in the U.S. with stage 4 breast cancer report being harassed by medical debt collectors. In some places, price gouging and predatory billing has become part of a new business model.

So how is it that healthcare costs have been skyrocketing each year? It's the money games of medicine, loaded with middlemen, kickbacks, and pricing failures. These money games today threaten the great public trust in the medical profession.

how is it that academic medical centers are the bastion of scientific genius, yet no one can give you a simple price?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/publichealthpolicy/ge...

Martin Makary, MD, MPH, is a professor at Johns Hopkins University and author of the new book The Price We Pay: What Broke American Health Care and How to Fix it

Sep 15, 2019 02:42PM Lumpie wrote:

Medicare for All: Dispelling the Confusion Democratic presidential candidates need to better explain their proposals

...medicine is a profession with a mission -- "to cure sometimes, to relieve often, to comfort always" -- not a business.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/poplin-policy/8...

{Op ed re Medicare for all, some faults in our healthcare system and some options that may be advantageous.}

Page 15 of 15 (428 results)