We are 223,602 members in 82 forums discussing 157,333 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Just a whinge about insurance

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues —

Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Apr 15, 2019 10:26PM

NancyD wrote:

I had my yearly onc appointment in September, paid my $40 co-pay, and then this week I received an invoice from the hospital/clinic for $40.

It seems the clinic has started charging a separate fee to the patients for use of the facility. I've been seeing this dr for over ten years and NEVER have had another co-pay. Previously, it was all included in the dr visit and had one co-pay. Obviously, you can't see the dr out in the parking lot, so I am mad as heck about this newly introduced way to siphon money from the patient. There have been administration changes over the years, like almost not re-signing a contract with my insurer, that have cause me angst. To add more pain, this came three days before taxes were due (I'd already filed), and I might have used the deduction.

The hospital uses a third party to process their invoice, and they were of no help...just referred me to my insurance provider. I've decided this is an unfair charge and will refuse to pay. There goes my 850 credit rating, but I don't care. It's not an extreme amount, but it's the principle of the thing.

Anyone else have unfair charges introduced? What did you do?

Life is good. It's not perfect. but it's good. Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/22/2008 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/11/2008 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/5/2008 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 1/28/2010 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

May 7, 2019 04:58AM - edited May 7, 2019 06:37AM by Castigame

I had a dentist who charged $150 writing a prescription which I filled. Did not pay and went to collection. My credit score went up to 850 regardless. Now I have a $1000 Bal on colonscopy w EGD. (The estimate was $1400 when actual charge is $2400. Considering this is a big established office and my insurance is a reputable one so this estimate is not acceptable to me) My MRI place told me there is no damage and then they sent me a bill for almost $900.00 I am seriously thinking of not paying them both. Medical collection sure did not affect my credit score. I will deal with it when it does.

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 2/15/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/21/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/31/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/30/2017

May 7, 2019 09:43AM Irishlove wrote:

Genetic testing company Invatie told the nurse in the surgeon's office that they will charge insurance and the most I would have to pay is $100. Friday I rec'd a bill for $300! I called today and was on the line for 20 minutes. No answer. I left a call back number, no one ever called me back. Anyone else have this situation, any luck winning the arguement?

May 7, 2019 12:22PM edwards750 wrote:

Medical collections should/will eventually show up on your credit report. It’s not the first thing lenders consider to determine credit worthiness but they do factor in unsatisfied debt. Of course it depends on whether your doctors report it or not. So far so good considering you have a high credit score but don’t count on it staying that way if it’s reported.

I wouldn’t not pay a bill that’s owed but I’m all for disputing ones in which you believe you are being overcharged. I have challenged several bills and also appealed a pretty sizable one and have been successful. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Diane

May 16, 2019 01:45AM NancyD wrote:

The resolution of my bill is still unfolding, but this is where it stands. I called the billing agency again (it's a third party company, not a direct office of the hospital/clinic) and spoke to a person who said the dr should not have collected the copay—my check should have been made out to the hospital/clinic (new policy). I would have to get a refund from the dr and I'm still liable for the hospital/clinic copay.

So I called the drs billing office and they agreed to issue a refund of the copay—but it will take 6 to 8 weeks!!!! Since I couldn't wait that long with the hospital/clinic bill, I went ahead and paid that. I am just hoping the refund doesn't get "lost in the mail" or they change their policy again.

Life is good. It's not perfect. but it's good. Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/22/2008 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/11/2008 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/5/2008 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 1/28/2010 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)