We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Critical Illness Insurance

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues —

Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Jun 13, 2019 12:38PM

FarAwayToo wrote:

I'm almost 2 years out my BC diagnosis and am considered to be in remission. My employer is starting to offer this type of insurance. Basically, for $7.90 bi-weekly premium I can insure myself (and for additional $7.90 I can also insure my spouse) to receive a lump sum of $30,000 in case of the critical illness. I'm only looking at a 2 page pamphlet my employer provided, and the info regarding cancer is as follows:

โ€ข Invasive cancer - all breast cancer is considered invasive

โ€ข Non-invasive cancer (25%) (this means you get only 25% of the sum)

โ€ข Skin cancer

There is no information on recurrent cancer. I will try to contact the insurer to clarify this. I'm still not sure if I need this, even if they cover recurrences of a previously diagnosed cancer. The nice thing about the policy is that it is portable: i.e. if I leave my employer, I can take it with me (not sure if the premium will remain the same though). This is important consideration for me, because while I'm employed here, I have good health insurance, as well as short term and long term disability insurance, so this critical illness policy is not as enticing. It may change if I decide to leave.

Anyone enrolled in a similar insurance policy and if yes, what were your considerations?

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/28/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 8/21/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jun 13, 2019 01:41PM vlnrph wrote:

This is something I have not investigated but I would also question what type of skin cancer is covered. The most common, basal cell (a result of sun exposure) is so frequent/benign once treated, that it does not even get included in reporting statistics. Squamous and of course melanoma are a different story...

Keep in mind that, in the US, metastatic disease will often qualify one for Social Security Disability Income. When approved, after a five month waiting period you receive the amount which you would get at full retirement age. By my calculation, this policy costs just under $200 a year per person. If individual underwriting is not required, where you would have to disclose medical history, genetic testing results, etc I might seriously consider it because it is estimated that around 25% of early stage BC will eventually recur.

I also wonder whether you would have to show proof of regular screenings like mammograms and colonoscopies. With the latter, malignancies can literally be nipped in the bud since the diagnosis comes with automatic treatment as the offending polyp is removed!

IDC too! ๐ŸŽป๐Ÿ’Š๐Ÿ‘ช๐Ÿฉ ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฆ‹ Rt MX+DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema 9-2011; switch to letrozole 3-2014 for 1 yr; bone mets 8-2018: Zometa, rads to spine, Faslodex/Versenio Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 13, 2019 09:14PM FarAwayToo wrote:

Thank you - I got a phone number for the insurer, but the deadline to enroll is tomorrow (yes, I dropped the ball, I had two weeks to find out the details and I only reacted when they sent us a reminder about the deadline), so I don't know if I'll have the time to call and enroll. For the price I may just enroll and find out the details later.

It explicitly states in the pamphlet that no medical exam is required prior to enrolling. Also, in addition to cancer, it covers other illnesses such as heart attack, stroke etc.

Dx 8/31/2017, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/15/2017, DCIS, Left, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/29/2017 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2018 Zoladex (goserelin) Surgery 2/28/2018 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 2/28/2018 Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2018 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 8/21/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Jun 13, 2019 11:22PM vlnrph wrote:

Well, from your history described here, I would guess that you are probably on the younger side/pre-menopausal and because everyone in Colorado is a health nut (from what I've heard!) you're not likely to be having cardiac trouble anytime soon.

I have however been acquainted with a couple of gals in their 50s who had strokes. Thankfully they both made a good recovery and went back to work although it took several months during which some extra $ might have come in handy since disability policies usually don't replace your full salary...

You would want to get a written description of the plan parameters which means tomorrow's phone call may not provide that level of detail unless they can fax it to you. Signing up now and getting additional info later is perhaps your best option. Maybe another person who has this type of coverage will respond at some point.

IDC too! ๐ŸŽป๐Ÿ’Š๐Ÿ‘ช๐Ÿฉ ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฆ‹ Rt MX+DIEP 4-2011; ALND 5-2011 d/t micromets; TC X 4; tamoxifen; lymphedema 9-2011; switch to letrozole 3-2014 for 1 yr; bone mets 8-2018: Zometa, rads to spine, Faslodex/Versenio Dx 3/7/2011, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/25 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 14, 2019 01:17AM Tmh0921 wrote:

My company offers this as well. I attempted to enroll a few years ago thinking it was a good idea. While no medical exam was required, I did have to complete an enrollment questionnaire. One of the questions was have you ever had cancer, and how long ago the cancer Dx was. I was denied based on the fact I already had a history of cancer

First Dx at 27 years old in 1999, 2nd Dx 2018, 3rd Dx 2019... Current Oncotype: 26 Dx 12/7/1999, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/14 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 12/22/1999 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 1/31/2000 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2000 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 8/24/2016 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 9/5/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/7/2018, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1 Dx 5/31/2019, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 8/5/2019 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 9/4/2019 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/2/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin)

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)