Join Us

We are 217,583 members in 84 forums discussing 160,638 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Returning to work

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues —

Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: May 28, 2020 09:05AM

Emmyvan wrote:

Hi,

I have stage 2 TNIBC. I am receiving Chemo prior to surgery, ending in July. I am a frontline healthcare worker, a cat scan technologist who has direct contact with covid+ patients . I am currently on a 6 month leave, std provided by my employer. I don’t know why I didn’t give going back to work much thought, I guess I kiNd of assumed I’d be ready prior to the six months running out. I know that’s not reasonable now, my oncologist said I should stay out of work at least 12 weeks post chemo to give my body a chance to bounce back. I am fortunate enough that I can financially remain out of work for that amount of time.

Stupid question, what comes after std? I’m not sure my employer offers a long term disability plan. Would I qualify for federal disability? In the 20 years I’ve been working there, I was never out longer than 6 months. I’m at a loss

thanks

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

May 28, 2020 02:55PM Castigame wrote:

Short answer is your body needs more than short term disability.

If you work for a good size company, chances are long term disability is available. LTD is usually 66% of base salary. Believe me it is worth it. Almost any company, your employer is not required to give you old job back after yr away. Ask HR.

I took a yr off using STD and LTD. It was necessary for me.

Mimi Dx 1/11/2017, IDC: Papillary/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/11/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes Surgery 2/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal Chemotherapy 3/20/2017 Radiation Therapy 7/30/2017 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 10/29/2017

May 28, 2020 03:24PM - edited May 28, 2020 03:25PM by Moderators

Hi Emmyman,

In addition to the helpful advice from Castigame above, you may find it helpful to check out the main Breastcancer.org site's page on Taking Time Off Work for Treatment. It contains some good information on how to help carry over your benefits for extended leaves.

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)