Topic: How does anybody get any work done during this?

Forum: Employment, Insurance, and Other Financial Issues — Employment, insurance, and financial concerns are common. Meet others here to discuss and for support.

Posted on: Feb 25, 2021 09:17AM

Posted on: Feb 25, 2021 09:17AM

nola70115 wrote:

Since being diagnosed with a recurrence, I can barely pay attention to work for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm constantly following posts here, thinking up something else I want to research, checking the patient portal at the hospital... this is all my mind wants to think about right now! However I really need, and WANT, to keep working.

My office wants to be supportive but it's a very small company and they have NO policies in place for major illnesses of employees.

What do YOU do to keep working during treatment?

Age 40 at first diagnosis, 47 now. I've got an autistic teenager and a toddler to live for. See my 2014 blog at snarkforthecure.wordpress.com. Dx 4/15/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/14/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy 6/20/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/22/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 3 (22 results)

Mar 2, 2021 05:32PM jhl wrote:

Nola,

Are you all lawyers? Is he a lawyer. I'm glad you've got a call into an employment lawyer. As you know, there are procedures that must be followed with respect to dismissing someone who has a medical condition. At this point, tread carefully. As someone mentioned, take copious notes of your interactions with him and be sure them are date & time stamped. You will need to respond to his proposal but you might wait until you speak with the employment lawyer to be sure you are not responding emotionally.

At this point, you might consider having someone you can speak with in real life. Have you got a therapist you can use to vent?

Take care,

Jane

Dx 11/15/2019, IDC: Cribriform, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 3, 2021 01:51AM nola70115 wrote:

Boss is a lawyer. I’m really stunned and I’ve gone from being furious to being heartbroken. I thought this was the best job. He didn’t give me any warning. Last month was fine, now I’m supposed to wrap up my work and notify my clients. I’ll never be able to work again. I’m not ready to never work again. I still feel fine!

Age 40 at first diagnosis, 47 now. I've got an autistic teenager and a toddler to live for. See my 2014 blog at snarkforthecure.wordpress.com. Dx 4/15/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/14/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy 6/20/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/31/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/22/2021, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 3 (22 results)

Scroll to top button