Join Us

We are 218,169 members in 84 forums discussing 160,928 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: new study on vitamin D and bone loss

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Jul 9, 2011 01:48PM

weety wrote:

This might have already been posted, but I didn't have time to read through everything.  I just got this in my email--I hope it's true, since I've been following the vitamin D supplementation and am on femara!

Vitamin D Supplementation Prevents Breast Cancer Therapy-Related Bone Loss

Elsevier Global Medical News. 2011 Jul 5, R Hyer

CHICAGO (EGMN) - The bone loss associated with aromatase inhibitors was significantly slowed with increasing supplements of vitamin D in a prospective cohort study of 156 postmenopausal women.

"The bone loss was less, the higher your vitamin D level was maintained," said session chair Dr. Thomas J. Smith of Massey Cancer Center of Virginia Commonwealth University. "This is one of the first intervention studies," he said. "And the results are pretty striking."

Dr. Sonia Servitja of Hospital del Mar in Barcelona, and colleagues, assessed the association between 25-hydroxy-vitamin D (25(OH)D) concentrations and bone loss at baseline, after 3 months of supplementation, and after 1 year, in patients receiving aromatase inhibitor therapy for early-stage breast cancer.

The 156 women in the prospective cohort had hormone-positive breast cancer and had initiated aromatase inhibitors from January 2006 to June 2009.

All patients received daily oral calcium (1 g) and vitamin D3 (800 IU). Patients with a baseline level of 25(OH)D less than 30 ng/mL received additional oral vitamin D3. The women were a mean age of 62 years with a mean age of menopause onset of 50 years.

The magnitude of the bone-loss prevention correlated with incremental increases in 25(OH)D concentrations.

Each 10-ng/mL increase in 25(OH)D concentration at 3 months appeared to be associated with a 0.55% decrease in bone loss, which was almost a third of the average bone loss experienced by these patients, according to the study findings, presented as a poster at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.

The findings suggest that vitamin D supplementation at doses higher than the standard of 400 to 800 IU/day might be useful to minimize bone loss in women starting out on aromatase inhibitors and who are not eligible for bisphosphonate therapy according to current guidelines.

Patients who achieved 25(OH)D concentrations greater than or equal to 40 ng/mL at 3 months experienced significantly reduced bone loss. In addition, 25(OH)D increases at 3 months were protective for relative bone loss (adjusted beta for each quintile 1.01%, P value less than .001).

Dr. Servitja disclosed no relevant relationships. Dr. Smith disclosed research funding from the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute.

Dx 7/17/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 4/19/2010 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 4/10/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery Mastectomy: Left

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jul 9, 2011 05:57PM otter wrote:

weety, this is very good news!  My med onco has said calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements really won't help *build* bone once we've reached menopause, but taking them should help slow the bone loss.  It looks like that's true.

Thanks for the good info.

otter

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 10, 2011 04:14AM Pessa wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Have been on AI 9 months.  No info yet on bone loss.  Have increased my vit D level from 18 (at the time of my BC diagnosis) to 64 with supplements recommended by my doc.  I will keep it up!

Dx 2/20/2010, IDC, <1cm, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/5/2010 AC Surgery 10/22/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy 11/20/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 30, 2011 10:03AM DocBabs wrote:

I have been taking calcium citrate and D3 for years. I am also an athlete with a bone density in the higher than average for age range.I just started taking Arimidex so I plan to keep a sharp eye on my numbers.I have multiple joint replacements and I don't want my bones going soft with metal in them!

Barbara

DocBabs Dx 4/28/2011, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/13/2011 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 5/13/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy 7/15/2011 Aromasin (exemestane)

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)