We are 214,133 members in 82 forums discussing 152,641 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone w/ osteopenia NOT taking preventive medication?

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss — Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: May 24, 2013 03:52PM

ByFaith wrote:

My first baseline DEXA scan was normal for my age. My first DEXA one year after taking Femara, then switching to Arimidex, showed -12% change in bone density in two areas (now osteopenia) and -16% change in one femoral neck (T-score 2.4, just one tenth away from osteporosis). I go to a very prestigious hospital and have a highly experienced oncologist. For my routine followups I see my oncologist's P.A.  

I've been told by the P.A. that their opinion is that research does not indicate that taking drugs like Boniva or Prolia help when one has osteopenia. I've been told to wait until my next DEXA scan in 6 months and they will treat when I am officially diagnosed with osteoporosis. (It's agreed I likely will be at that stage due to my 1-year decline and one T-score being 2.4 versus official osteoporosis as 2.5.) In the meantime, they continue to recommend the proper vitamin supplementation, together with exercise and weightbearing.  

My physicians know it's extremely difficult for me to exercise due to longstanding chronic and disabling refractory migraines and near-daily migraine-associated pain. I barely exercised my first year and now I have the bad bone density scores. I've been told to start with light exercise and weightbearing due to my previous lack of exercise, so walking, swimming and/or yoga has been recommended. I'll probably force myself to walk on the treadmill even if I'm unwell; there's nothing else I can do but force myself at this point. Swimming is easier and I could use that to help condition myself to walk easier, but overall it's a matter of forcing myself to exercise while in migraine pain, as the migraine abortive medications are not very effective in relieving my migraine symptoms.

I'm concerned that I had such a steep decline on my first DEXA since starting Arimidex and am so near to osteoporosis in one area and no medication is recommended. Again, the oncologist feels the research does not support starting osteopenic patients on medication for osteoporosis. I notice, however, on this thread there are several women on Prolia or biphosphanates with a diagnosis of osteopenia.

Is there anyone like myself who has osteopenia or near osteoporosis who are NOT on a medication to fend off or repair bone density decline? Since I'm blessed to be seen at such a prestigious hospital, but want to be proactive with this. I have two more years on Arimidex. I'd be interested in your opinions. Thank you.

Dx 4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2010 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/12/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 3 of 3 (66 results)

Posts 61 - 66 (66 total)

Mar 11, 2018 04:37PM aterry wrote:

My MO is on leave until April 1st so I won't be talking to her until later this spring. In the meantime I'll discuss the issue with my dentist at my next cleaning appointment.

Dx 10/13/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 4/18/2017 Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Mar 12, 2018 08:35AM Veeder14 wrote:

Hi ByFaith,

I have osteoporosis, believe me, you don’t want this. Even with the medications it’s very hard to grow bone. I have spinal fractures that causes problems. I haven’t been recommended for the hormone drugs yet however I don’t how I can deal with forcing bone loss.i wouldn’t wait if you’re willing to take osteoporosis meds. It takes years to grow bone. Waiting until April is no big deal though

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/7/2018 Hormonal Therapy 6/30/2018

Mar 12, 2018 08:43PM edwards750 wrote:

I agree with Veeder. I have osteoporosis. Not fun. I take Boniva once a month, calcium tablets and Vitamin D. We are at a much greater risk of bone fractures so we have to take meds to keep that from happening.

Admittedly Idk whether taking the drugs now will help or not ward off osteoporosis but I am also a fu believer in preventive maintenance.

When I was DX with BC my MO prescribed Arimidex. I had osteopenia at the time. Arimidex attacks the bones. Not a smart decision by her so after one year I complained about it and she switched me to Tamoxifen. It could have made the difference. I’ll never know.

Diane

Mar 12, 2018 08:44PM MamaOz wrote:

thanks aterry, im leery too

The drs really dont care about side effects and always down play them

Its damned if you do or dont!

Anyone have positive results after several years ? All i hear is as soon as they stop their bones start breaking

Its very distressing

Mamaoz : chemo 1/.17-4/17 AC/.paxitacil : 3/29 nodes Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/7/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 12, 2018 11:40PM Veeder14 wrote:

MamaOz,

If you mean positive results from bone building medications~years before cancer I was treated with Forteo (daily injections for 2 years) It really worked, grew bone however you can't stay on it after 2 years and my doctor wanted me to switch to infusions of Boniva? I declined but then lost the bone I gained. Tried Prolia and stopped after complications with dental.

I don't know how the Tomixifen and other meds are measured as to whether they are doing any good. Taking harmful medications that might or might not help, that's what bothers me, besides possible severed side effects.

Dx 1/2/2018, ILC, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/25/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/7/2018 Hormonal Therapy 6/30/2018

Mar 13, 2018 07:11AM - edited Mar 13, 2018 07:12AM by MamaOz

thanks veeder14

My same thinking! Im so stiff and achy from arimidex and my ribs stillare tender from radiation that i finished on Oct. so im thinking the arimidex is contributing to slower healing too

So to add another med that may only temporarily help my bones. And they still end up brittle ?!? Is cause for concern not to mention the other nasty side effects..

Thanks for respondin

Mamaoz : chemo 1/.17-4/17 AC/.paxitacil : 3/29 nodes Dx 12/5/2016, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 3/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2017 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 8/7/2017 Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 3 of 3 (66 results)