Join Us

We are 218,012 members in 84 forums discussing 160,846 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: does cancer run in your family ?

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Nov 16, 2013 09:45AM

fatimaR wrote:

Hi everyone,

Lately i have been noticing that cancer is becoming extremely more and more common, not just breast cancer but all types of cancer. I was wondering how many of you ladies have cancer in your family of any type. Mine is as follows:

Maternal Grandmother- Ovarian cancer at 51

Maternal Aunt- uterine leiomyosarcoma at 40

Maternal second cousin- breast cancer at 44

Mom's maternal uncle- prostate cancer at 78

mom had genetic testing for BRCA and was negative.

anyone else ?

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Nov 16, 2013 10:06AM fredntan wrote:

nope I am first. was planning of dying of heart attack like all my other family members

MBC bone mets, afinitor,aromasin,xgeva Dx 8/3/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 13/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/9/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 3/29/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/8/2012 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Surgery 4/3/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 10/2013, Stage IV, mets Chemotherapy 11/20/2013 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Hormonal Therapy

Nov 16, 2013 10:41AM edwards750 wrote:

Boy I do...

Mom - BC at age 68(died at 83 but not from BC)

Dad - lymphoma at 75

Brother - melanoma at 40(doing fine 17 years later)

sister - BC at 64(just dx 2 years ago - so far, so good)MX, Arimidex

aunt - BC - not sure how old she was

grandfather - pancreatic cancer at 75

Me - bc at 60 - 3 years ago - so far, so good - Stage 2, Grade l - lumpectomy, 33 RADS, Tamoxifen

Thing is I keep reading that the vast majority of at least BC cases are ones with no family history. Go figure.

diane

Nov 16, 2013 10:43AM fatimaR wrote:

i know statistics just dont make sense ! your grandfather and aunt are from your maternal or paternal side of the family ?

Nov 17, 2013 06:46AM Momine wrote:

Fatima, it is not really that cancer is becoming more prevalent. It is more that people are dying less and less of other causes.

That said, I have an extensive family history:

Dad: prostate, skin, pre-cancer in kidney (lost the whole kidney).

Dad's brother: testicle, skin, bladder, pre-cancer in bowel.

Dad's sister: melanoma in eye (it killed her after 20 years).

Dad's mother: bladder.

Dad's father: bowel.

Dad's aunt: breast.

Dad's uncle: lung at a young age and it killed him.

Mother: ovary.

Mother's sister: breast, lung and endometrium (3 separate primaries).

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 17, 2013 07:20AM exbrnxgrl wrote:

Fatima,

I agree with momine. Fewer people are dying of other causes and our detection methods have gotten better over the years for many types of cancer. As to the fact that the vast majority of breast cancers are not genetic, yes that is true for the gene mutations that are known. There may be other gene mutations out there, waiting to be discovered, or there might not be.

Bilateral mx 9/7/11 with one step ns reconstruction. As of 11/21/11, 2cm met to upper left femur Dx 7/8/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/7/2011 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Dx 11/2011, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/21/2011 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2011 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 17, 2013 08:08AM fatimaR wrote:

Thank you for sharing momine, i think you make a valid point. I also believe its our lifestyle, enviroment and pollution around us that is causing more and more cancer cases. I was wondering, your family members were diagnosed at young ages with cancer ?

Nov 17, 2013 04:21PM dlb823 wrote:

I lost my Dad to late stage colon cancer when he was in his mid-70's.

My sister is a 2x bc survivor. (2nd dx opposite side 8 years after first.)

Two of many cousins (Dad's side) dx'd w/bc pre-40. (One recently dx'd w/mets, but she's doing well.)

Some of Dad's siblings had gastro cancers, although I don't know any details.

My brother had an early stage melanoma.

So, yes, absolutely a genetic predisposition on Dad's side. My sister and 2 cousins all tested negative for BRCA, but one of the cousins had a gene variant of unknown significance. (UCLA did not feel I needed to be tested since they were all negative and I was older than they were at dx.)

I personally believe for most people it's an accumulation or compilation of things, and that those can be different for each of us. Would I have developed bc if I hadn't also taken HRT? Maybe; maybe not. But I definitely think the HRT played a significant role. And I can point to things in each of my relatives that are/were clearly lifestyle risk factors. I also believe that the amount of chemicals in our environment -- from gasoline emissions to things like non-stick cookware and plastics -- probably all play a part, at least for some of us.

Just my thoughts on it... Deanna

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Nov 17, 2013 04:56PM - edited Nov 17, 2013 04:57PM by farmerlucy

My paternal aunt has been the family geneologist for years. When I was doing the genetic testing after my ALH/ADH biopsy she told me of the "Kellogg Cancer Curse". My 4 times great-grandfather was the brother of WK Kellogg the cereal guy. Anyway at that generation 50 percent of the family male and female had BC. It seemed to trickle down the gene pool, but never to that extent. I always thought dad's side of the family was the safe side! Here's my first and second degree relative cancer history.

Sister - Wilms tumor (kidney) age 3 - passed age 4

Mother - BC age 27, passed 29

Maternal aunt  -  BC age 44 - passed 45

Me - 51

Father - 73 - prostate

Paternal cousin male - prostate 40's

Paternal Grfather - lung - 62

Dx at 51 after a preventive mx that wasn't. Oncotype dx 3. 3D tattoos from Vinnie! PTSD?? You are not alone! Surgery 2/20/2012 Prophylactic mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 2/24/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/10/2012 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 7/21/2012 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 4/9/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 4/13/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal

Dec 21, 2013 07:46PM msphil wrote:

yes,paternal grandmom-colon,paternal grandpop and Aunt stomach.i,m first with breast. msphil(idc,stage2, 0/3 nodes, L mast, chemo and rads and 5 yrs on tamoxifen)

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)