Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone taking strontium for osteoporosis?

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Jan 9, 2014 10:33PM - edited Jan 9, 2014 10:34PM by whippetlover

whippetlover wrote:

I have been taking biphosphonates for the last five years for osteoporosis that has worsened after Tamoxifen and Aridimex. My doctor has prescribed strontium ranelate which in Australia is marketed as Protos. It's in granule form that is mixed with water and taken daily. I've been on it for three months and haven't had any unpleasant side effects as yet but I have read that it is not recommended for anyone with high blood pressure or heart issues as it may put users at a higher risk of stroke! That's a little frightening to me as my blood pressure can jump around if I'm under stress. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who is on it. After years of Zometa infusions the endocrinologist thought it was worth a try.

Page 1 of 1 (21 results)

Posts 1 - 21 (21 total)

Jan 10, 2014 06:38AM Momine wrote:

I have not taken it, but I have read about it. To me, it sounded a bit less scary than zometa, but all these drugs seem to have potentially unpleasant SEs. I hope someone weighs in.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2014 06:48PM peggy_j wrote:

I'm not, but I remember members discussing it a year or two ago. You may be able to find the threads using the SEARCH feature.

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 10, 2014 07:16PM dogsandjogs wrote:

I was on Fosamax for almost 3 years; quit due to problems swallowing and jaw pain.  My doc does not recommend any other treatment - doesn't like any of the products - just wants me to take vitamin D

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 10, 2014 07:18PM dogsandjogs wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium_ranelate

Dx 11/1982, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/17 nodes Surgery 11/17/1982 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction Dx 11/15/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 2/11/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel

Jan 10, 2014 07:29PM GrammyR wrote:

Whippetlover- I am one of those too- whippets I mean..ha..I am a retired RN and I always thought " Strontium" was a type of substance used in radiation? I have been on all those hormone blockers you mention and did not do well on any of them.

RHH Dx 12/1/2005, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIB, 1/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2006 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 7/3/2013 Lymph nodes Dx 7/25/2013, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs/other, Grade 3, 6/22 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/17/2013 Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 11, 2014 07:25PM Texas357 wrote:

I've been taking strontium citrate for several years now, while also taking Femara. I started this journey with osteopenia from a completely unrelated problem a few years earlier, and my oncologist wanted me to start on a biphosphonate but she changed her mind when I was able to show her a chart that demonstrated I've been able to maintain my bone density for the last 6 years and even improve it slightly. 

In addition to the strontium, I also take 5000 IUs of Vitamin D daily. I drink skim milk with two meals a day. On those days when I don't have skim milk with dinner, I also take a calcium supplement. Calcium interferes with strontium absorption so you have to space it out by about 4 hours. 

DX 9/08, ILC, Stage 3A, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 7/13 pos nodes. Mastectomy & six months chemo & 32 rads.Prophy mx 8/09 and they found DCIS and LCIS. Implant only on proph side; LD flap on rad side. 13 surgeries since diagnosis.

Jan 12, 2014 10:55AM corky60 wrote:

Lara Pizzorno in her book "Your Bones: How You Can Prevent Osteoporosis and Have Strong Bones for Life--Naturally" recommends taking strontium citrate and vitamin K2 among other things.  My naturopath recommended this book but I am leery of the recommendations in it.  There is nothing natural about ingesting strontium.  "Naturally" means no prescription drugs in this case.

Dx 3/25/2013, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/25/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right Radiation Therapy 5/28/2013 Breast

Sep 6, 2014 09:55AM Texas357 wrote:

Actually, if you research strontium in foods, you'll find that it's present naturally in many foods from grains to vegetables and seafood.

DX 9/08, ILC, Stage 3A, ER+/PR+, HER2-, 7/13 pos nodes. Mastectomy & six months chemo & 32 rads.Prophy mx 8/09 and they found DCIS and LCIS. Implant only on proph side; LD flap on rad side. 13 surgeries since diagnosis.

Sep 6, 2014 12:46PM Momine wrote:

What is the difference between strontium ranelate and strontium citrate? Does anyone know?

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 6, 2014 12:59PM anniealso wrote:

Hi again, yes I know.  Strontium ranelate which is the form that is available by RX in Europe has ranelate added to it. This makes it slightly more bio available, but more tough on the gut.  (Those are the major SEs, the stroke stuff, well if you took tamoxifen, that's worse for you for sure.)  Same with arimidex.

Strontium citrate is the natural form, available right on amazon or a health food store.  I'm no health food nut, nor see a naturopath.  But my doctor is not only European, but she's also highly educated on this supplement.  Strontium citrate is a deal safer to take and much easier on the tummy.

Thanks to Texas, that's really helpful!

So is femara also a bone drug?  I'm unclear what it does, exactly.  I don't think that they recommended concurrent use of a bone drug and strontium.  It was one or the other.

Going to find out just how bad things are tomorrow.   No one called me back on DEXA and seeing onc for 6 months.  Since I have shrunk in height,  have a bad feeling the bones are lousy.  Although I just received an email from a buddy mentioning that it is common for women to shrink up to 3" post menopause!  YIKES!!

Sep 7, 2014 02:21AM Momine wrote:

Annie, thanks for the info. 

Femara is an aromatase inhibitor. One of its side effects is often bone loss, due to the fact that the drug starves the body of estrogen.

Sep 7, 2014 08:29AM anniealso wrote:

Thank you for the info, Momine!  I was 5 years on arimidex, so same thing I guess.  I did v well, but it looks like my bones not so much.

A friend just sent me current info on strontium.  link below:  In short:  if you have existing heart conditions, are elderly or have uncontrolled HBP, it's not for you.  For the rest of us, it's fine.  I want to say that this is off the net, not substantiated by a dr. yet, and is only a publication but at least it is recent.

.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24322475

Sep 7, 2014 08:31AM anniealso wrote:

In no way am I saying that someone should or should not take this.  You have to make these decisions with your own onc or GP or naturopath.  I am tending to trying it as my GP is in favor.  My onc may not be, but he's a biophosphate fan.

Sep 7, 2014 08:32AM anniealso wrote:

Ooops!  I forgot to qualilfy; this study is on strontium ranelate the stronger, dr. prescribed RX.  The study did not take into account strontium citrate, which is an OTC supplement and has not been studied.

Sep 7, 2014 09:16AM Momine wrote:

Annie, thanks. 

Sep 7, 2014 11:26AM anniealso wrote:

For whippet lover: my blood pressure goes sky high when I'm under stress.  Out of the onc office, back to normal.  I tend to "white coat fever."  If your lower number stays  good (80 or lower) my drs. have told me it is not a concern.  If you take a blood pressure med., I would surely mention this to your doctor before attempting strontium.  The study I posted was also all elderly people.  I am 58 and my GP has green lighted it.

Despite my jumping blood pressure, all of my doctors so far have give strontium the thumbs up vs. bone drugs. 

I hope this is helpful for you.  We're all trying to figure this stuff out.

Sep 8, 2014 09:15PM anniealso wrote:

Reporting back ladies...onc has nothing to offer but the usual biophosphate stuff.  Knows nothing of strontium

Nov 28, 2014 05:29AM sylviaexmouthuk wrote:

Hello everyone, I think we should try to update this thread and keep it going.

I have been taking strontium citrate for a few years to treat my osteoporosis. I buy it on line.

I would not touch bisphosphonates or strontium ranelate.

I would love to hear from others.

Best wishes,

Sylvia.

Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food - Hippocrates B.C. 390 Preadjuvant chemo 3 months epirubicin, cyclophosphamide, 3 months docetaxel. Mastectomy RB Sentinel node pos Radiotherapy 3 weeks + boosters Dx 6/20/2005, IDC, 6cm+, Grade 3, 1/7 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 10/31/2005 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 5/16/2006 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 6/14/2006 Breast

Nov 28, 2014 07:24AM Moderators wrote:

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for reviving this thread! We hope others will chime in with their experiences

The mods

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...

Dec 12, 2014 08:10AM Texas357 wrote:

Femara is known to rob bone density. I've now been on it for 5 years, while also taking strontium citrate. My bone density has actually improved slightly. Strontium is not a miracle pill. You still need to exercise and follow a good diet.

May 16, 2015 06:06PM windingshores wrote:

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been taking strontium. I am surprised that none of my MD's, who are at major teaching hospitals, know much about this. I am now on Femara and have already had osteoporosis for 5 years. I am unable to take biphosphanates, calcitonin, or Forteo so far (though I would retry 1/2 Forteo dose).

Dx 2/2015, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Right Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy

Page 1 of 1 (21 results)