Join Us

We are 218,193 members in 84 forums discussing 160,935 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Bazedoxifene for osteoporosis and cancer recurrence

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Jun 22, 2014 07:04AM

Octobergirl wrote:

Are any of my breast cancer sisters in Europe (or abroad) taking Bazedoxifene for osteoporosis? I have read the new research and followed the info on BCO from Duke and am interested in hearing from patients who take or know others who take Bazedoxifene.  Thanks.

October Dx 3/25/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/13 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)

Posts 1 - 8 (8 total)

Jun 22, 2014 12:14PM Lee7 wrote:

I'm also interested. Any news of it being approved for use in the US?

Dx 10/2010, IDC, Stage IIA, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 23, 2014 12:18AM Kathy044 wrote:

It has been approved by the FDA in the US but as part of a combo with estrogen. That has been the drug company's plan all along in the development of bazedoxifene. The post menopause market is huge you see. Thanks Lee I hadn't known it had happened yet so just went to check.

http://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer_inc_announces_fda_approval_of_duaveetm_conjugated_estrogens_bazedoxifene_for_the_treatment_of_moderate_to_severe_vasomotor_symptoms_hot_flashes_associated_with_menopause_and_the_prevention_of_postmenopausal_osteoporosis_1

Might be worthwhile to try for Stage IV BC when all other options have run out though?

Kathy

Dx 2009, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/28/2009 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/15/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2010 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/3/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 23, 2014 05:00AM Lee7 wrote:

wow, this makes me really sad.  Here is a drug that sounds like it could help post menopausal women reduce their risk of further bc and help with the bone loss associated with AIs and yet....Pfizer only pairs it with estrogen. 

Maybe this combo will help many.  I just wish they would also make it available WITHOUT the estrogen for those of us with hormone positive bc and osteoporosis. 

Thank you for the update!

Jun 23, 2014 06:24AM cp418 wrote:

Lee7 - If you search this site for BZA you will find some earlier posts about this drug.  Last year we submitted a petition to Pfizer with over 7000 signatures if I recall.  They acknowledged our petition but so far no news.......

Jul 28, 2014 10:12PM JohnSmith wrote:

I read a couple interesting articles that discussed the merits of bazedoxifene (BZA).

I'd love to see an update to this article written one year ago:  How Breast Cancer Drugs Are Developed: The Bazedoxifene Story

I glanced at some Linkedin profiles and it appears Pfizer employees and researchers in academia have been tinkering with bazedoxifene, to what extent is unknown though.

Wife was Age 45 at Dx 4/2014. BMX Surgery 6/2014 revealed: ILC, Stage 2 (Multifocal ILC, largest lesion 2.2 cm), Grade 2, ER+/PR+ (95%), HER2-, Ki-67 5-10%, Oncotype 11; Variant in the ATM gene Dx 4/8/2014, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2014 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Aug 6, 2014 06:34PM Kathy044 wrote:

There is a updated article available, well actually it is a podcast but there is a full transcript available for easy reading and I do recommend doing this as the discussion can get quite complicated. The new Pfizer drug with Premarin is mentioned.

As for tinkering with bazedoxifene Dr. Wardall mentions researchers are considering doing breast cancer trials using bazedoxifene together with an AI drug to counter the AI effects on bone density and to get the best of both worlds so to speak but such testing would take years to come up with something for the drug company to develop, but I may have this wrong, best read for, yourselves ( and don't skip the rat research she mentions at the end of the interview about cholesterol and exercise and estrogen receptors)

How Breast Cancer Drugs Are Developed
July 18, 2014
http://www.breastcancer.org/community/podcasts/drug-development-20140725

Kathy

Dx 2009, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/28/2009 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 12/15/2009 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2010 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/3/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Aug 7, 2014 06:56AM Lee7 wrote:

I just read the transcript of the podcast this morning. Very interesting!   I've been seeing many commercials on TV for Duavee, the combination of bazedoxifene and Premarin.  From the description of how it works from Dr. Wardell, it does sound as like ER+ breast cancer patient could use it. Perhaps others could read and interpret it better for me?  The bazedoxifene portion would help bones, the Premarin (estradiol) would help brain, hot flashes but the bazedoxifene would also block the effect of the Premarin on the breast and uterine tissue.  If it protects the estrogen from affecting the breast tissue then might  even quite beneficial for bc patients?    Would or could any oncologist prescribe it? 

Aug 7, 2014 10:17AM - edited Jan 16, 2016 01:56PM by JohnSmith

@Lee7. I downloaded the podcast, but haven't had time to listen to it yet. From what I understand, US-based oncologists can not prescribe it for breast cancer. It's been available in Europe for many years, and also available in Japan, and more recently, Mexico (think the movie, "Dallas Buyers Club" for those that may be out of options)

I asked our oncologist about BZA last week. His response was: There's no large randomized trial. Some docs have looked at it for some women with advanced BC.

Essentially, it's not a consideration since they would need to rely upon data from a randomized trial focused on early stagers to determine effectiveness.

BZA appears to be a potential option for advanced stage BC's, although it's unknown when that option would become available.

Wife was Age 45 at Dx 4/2014. BMX Surgery 6/2014 revealed: ILC, Stage 2 (Multifocal ILC, largest lesion 2.2 cm), Grade 2, ER+/PR+ (95%), HER2-, Ki-67 5-10%, Oncotype 11; Variant in the ATM gene Dx 4/8/2014, ILC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/26/2014 Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Page 1 of 1 (8 results)