Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Calcium

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Aug 8, 2014 10:17AM - edited Aug 8, 2014 10:19AM by leggo

leggo wrote:

Someone on the Stage IV forum recently posted that calcium and magnesium should be taken 12 hours apart because taken together they would cause soft tissue damage. I knew these two supplements weren't always processed well together, but I didn't know that was the reason. I plan to ask doctor about tissue damage but in the meantime I have a question. If we have to take our calcium supplements (the 1000mg RDA or 1200mg for bone metsters) in two doses of 500mg or 600mg because of absorption, where would one fit in the magnesium to ensure there are no issues? Please tell me what you know. All I know is calcium can't be absorbed more than 600mg in a twelve hour period. Do you think it's safe to take the magnesium between those two doses of calcium? Google isn't really helpful when it comes to magnesium, other than the daily recommended amount. I can't risk soft tissue damage, but I NEED magnesium and have to make sure it doesn't affect my kidney function. Any info is appreciated.

"Once more into the fray... Into the last good fight I'll ever know... Live and die on this day... Live and die on this day." - The Grey

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Jan 27, 2015 04:36AM victorlong wrote:

Calcium is a mineral that is necessary for life. In addition to building bones and keeping them healthy, calcium helps our blood clot, nerves send messages and muscles contract . About 99 percent of the calcium in our bodies is in our bones and teeth. Each day, we lose calcium through our skin, nails, hair, sweat, urine and feces, but our bodies cannot produce new calcium.

That's why it's important to try to get calcium from the food we eat. When we don't get enough calcium for our body's needs, it is taken from our bones.

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)