Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bone Loss Reversed 16 Months After Finishing AIs!

NatsFan
NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
edited February 2021 in Bone Health and Bone Loss

A ray of hope - I finished my 5 years of letrozole sixteen months ago. I had plus T values prior to dx, but after chemo and 2 years on letrozole I had mild osteopenia, and two years later it had gotten worse - still osteopenia, but heading towards osteoporosis. I had another DEXA scan last week. I was hoping, since I was off letrozole now, that things hadn't gotten worse, or at best, maybe had even improved just a bit. But I was astounded when I got my results this weekend and they showed that my bone density is now NORMAL!!! No more osteopenia!!! Woohoo!!!!!

My MO has me on calcium and Vit D, and I exercise an average of 6 days a week, including weight training, yoga, pilates, and running, so I think those things helped as well.  

This was such unexpected good news - not something that happens often with anything b/c related.  I'll be 60 next year, and I'd just figured that at my age my osteopenia was permanent and the best I could do was try to stave off osteoporosis.  I never dreamed it was possible to achieve normal density again!  Happy

Comments

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96

thats awesome! I never remember to take my calcium.  Maybe now I will!

• MsPharoah
    MsPharoah Member Posts: 224

This is so encouraging!  Thanks for sharing.

MsP

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

That is fantastic news! Thanks for sharing!

• WinningSoFar
    WinningSoFar Member Posts: 126

Wow, I'm impressed. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,789

Hooray! My bone density, which had stayed in the normal range but had been dropping, went back up too after I was done with Arimidex. I think it is really important to keep up with the exercise, calicium, vitamin D etc. to minimize the damage while on anti-hormonals , and that you a better chance to rebound once you are done!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472

nice!  So good to hear.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856

YAY!!!

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363

Fantastic news. So happy you are doing so well. I have 2 years to go.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,753

We are delighted to hear the good news Natsfan! 

You're giving hope to others who are in similar situations, so thank you for sharing it!

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420

Hurrah! That's fantastic news!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Excellent!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,789

Nats, I just copied your whole post on to the Arimidex thread. I was pretty sure you'd be okay with that, & it was nice to be able to pass some encouraging news along!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927

Thanks Ruth.  I remember how upset I was when each DEXA scan showed the osteopenia getting worse.  I wanted to give others who are facing this issue a concrete example that it's possible for bone loss to be reversed.   

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Yay, NatsFan!!!!! ThumbsUp

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Nats, my congrats to you!  I have had a similar experience and do confess that I too am diligent with my calcium, Vit D and the dang gym! 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

Thanks, Mary, and congrats!  I finish year five of tamox next June and per onc will likely go on an AI.  Good to read a positive note.  Will get a baseline DEXA and keep on walking. ♥

• b00kworm
    b00kworm Member Posts: 6

Thanks for posting, Mary. This is good news! I am 57 and 2 years into my 5 years on letrozole. Scan done right before treatment started showed good strong bones with all 3 readings well within the normal range. Eighteen months later, all 3 readings have shifted to the left on the scale, and 2 out of 3 showed a "significant reduction in bone density". All 3 readings are still considered "normal", but one of them is now right on the bubble between normal and osteopenia.

My MO said my BMD could get worse with time, so it's good to hear that re-establishing bone density is possible. I take my calcium and vitamin D and get my daily weight-bearing exercise in, so I am doing what I can on the front end to mitigate the damage. Hopefully I will see good results too once I come off letrozole.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,025

Bookworm - there have been no posts to this thread since 2014 so it's definitely inactive. Sounds like you're doing good things but you may not get a response.

• b00kworm
    b00kworm Member Posts: 6

Thanks, MinusTwo. Yes, the moderators got in touch with me to point that out and suggested I start my own thread. I'll get the hang of this thing eventually. :)

• maxiemama
    maxiemama Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2023

impressive! Stay active and thrilled your bones are now strong! Two thumbs up

• byfaith
    byfaith Member Posts: 48

Cheers! So happy for you! Keep up the great work. 🥰