Join Us

We are 218,193 members in 84 forums discussing 160,935 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Osteopenia of the spine

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Feb 22, 2015 08:03AM

Mommyathome wrote:

Hi ladies. I had a BMx January 2014 after being diagnosed with DCIS. I also had a TAH/BSO in July 2014. I was just notified after having a bone density scan that I have osteopenia of the spine, -2. I have been on viactiv with 1000 mg of calcium and 1000 ng of vitamin d. My questions are how often do you have bone density scans? Is 1000 mg of both calcium and vitamin d enough to improve my bone health? What are some other things that will help? Do anyone have osteopenia?
Dx 11/20/2013 Surgery 11/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/4/2013, LCIS Dx 12/4/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/29/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/2/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 7/1/2014 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 3/23/2015 Reconstruction (left)

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Feb 22, 2015 08:09AM proudtospin wrote:

Hi Mom, I had some osteopenia years ago, took Fosamax for over 5 years till stopped (it is not something you can take forever~~).  Had a bone density and big improvement as in back to pretty much where I should be.  Then came the big C, and 5 years of AL.  I started to do weight bearing exercises, used lots of weights and plenty of time in the gym. 
Good news is that the bone density at the end of my 5 years on AL shows my hard work paid off and all is fine, tiny bit of osteopenia but all else is cool.

I did take and still do a multi and calcium suppliment

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Feb 22, 2015 08:12AM SpecialK wrote:

I was osteopenic, but stable, prior to my diagnosis of breast cancer, and I had a TAH/BSO nine years earlier.  After chemo and six months of Femara I had lost quite a bit of density so was started on Prolia injections every six months, which returned my density to normal.  After my hyst/ooph I had DEXA scans every two years, which is the normal recommendation, and had a good pre-treatment baseline because I had one the same day as the mammo/US that led to diagnosis.  I was unable to take oral meds (Boniva, Actonel, Fosamax) for osteopenia due to a previous GI surgery for reflux.  The IV version (Reclast) was not offered in military hospitals at that time.  I would check with your MO and ask about adding bone strengthening drugs, and I would also recommend you ask about your dosages of calcium/Vit D, but I think you need more than you are taking.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Feb 22, 2015 08:55AM Mommyathome wrote:

Proud to spin and special k, Thanks for your response. I meet with my bs in march so I'm going to ask her recommendations on screening/tests and vitamins/drugs. Question, the treatments you mentioned, do they contain estrogen? I was told by primary dr, gyno and oncologist that 1000 of vitamin d and calcium is enough. My vitamin d levels are low! It's just so frustrating when u have health issues because u don't know if the drs are knowledgable enough and when one dr says something that can jeopardize ur health! I just wish u could get info from ur dr and trust that it's correct!i am going to see an endocrinologist in march to discuss the osteopenia so I guess she would know more than my primary, bs or oncologist... Well maybe!

We're u both diagnosed w osteopenia PRIOR to bc and/or hysterectomy? I had hysterectomy July 2014... Do u think it only took 7 months to cause issues or it was probably an issue before but was never detected?
Dx 11/20/2013 Surgery 11/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 12/4/2013, LCIS Dx 12/4/2013, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 1/29/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 6/2/2014 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 7/1/2014 Prophylactic ovary removal Surgery 3/23/2015 Reconstruction (left)

Feb 22, 2015 10:22AM SpecialK wrote:

Anyone having an ooph should have a baseline bone density right then.  It is important to know your status prior to the deprivation of estrogen.  I had a total hyst/ooph nine years prior to my breast cancer diagnosis, and had my first bone density at that time - I was osteopenic, but remained stable over that time between then and the breast cancer diagnosis. I also fit the physical profile for osteopenia, so I might have developed it anyway.  My hyst/ooph was done when I was 45 and firmly still in a menstrual cycle - I experienced immediate and intense surgical menopause.  I had this surgery due to numerous fibroid tumors in the uterus causing hemorrhaging, and they also found a 3cm pre-malignant tumor in my right ovary.  I am not sure I would rely on your breast surgeon for advice on supplements - I would ask your MO, primary care, or an endocrinologist.  There is no estrogen in anything I am treated with for osteopenia, or in any supplements I take.  I do take vitamin D and calcium, it is required by my MO as long as I am on Prolia.  Prolia is denosumab, the same drug given for women with bone mets by under the name Xgeva.  Prolia is a lower, less frequent, dosage though.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3 Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC)

Feb 22, 2015 10:37AM proudtospin wrote:

my BS never discussed bone density with me, my PCD did may years before any cancer diagnosis.  I was menopausal when diagnosed so ALs were the recomendation

I take regular OTC and a multi, nothing special.  But I do a lot of weights in the gym

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Feb 22, 2015 11:52AM - edited Feb 22, 2015 05:21PM by Hopeful82014

I would agree that you're probably not taking enough D3. I have been told by my GI that D3, calcium citrate and magnesium work in concert. I take that at night as the mag helps with sleep.

I have been mildly osteopenic for years and, like Kay, had dexa and routine mammogram on same day. Nothing has been routine since then.

I have been able so far to remain stable without drugs. I do a lot of weight bearing exercise as well as strength training, as well as pretty much eating whole, real food. I do take a fair amount of D3 (upped it in Oct per BS' recommendation).

If your levels are low consider doubling what you're taking and see if the results change. Make sure it's D3, not 2. Talk with a nutritionist if MDs are uninformed on the issue.

Dx IDC

Feb 22, 2015 05:04PM Mommyathome wrote:

I was put into surgical menopause at the age of 42 due to TAH/BSO. I had as periods and with so many people in my family with breast and ovarian cancer we decided this was best.

This was my first bone scan. It was done about 3-4 months after hysterectomy. My drs said 1000 mg and it is d3. I'm thinking the endocrinologist will up it.

Feb 22, 2015 11:35PM jill47 wrote:

Mommyathorne - My case is very close to yours other than my TH/BSO occured at age 48, one year post BC. My DEXA baseline was 4 months post surgery and bone density was normal. One year follow up DEXA 12/2014; my bone density took a nose dive and now my right femoral neck is osteopenic and left femoral neck and spine are awfully close to osteopenic. My bone density dropped dramatically in a years period of time from depleted estrogen. My MO who is an endocrinologist, is treating my bone health/osteopenia with a Prolia injection every 6 months; I had my first treatment last month. I am not a candidate for estrogen therapy, like many of us here. Seeing you are estrogen deficient, your endo may want to treat you now instead of waiting for a the 2nd year DEXA test that may/will show even further bone loss. The goal is to halt bone loss, prevent osteoporosis and hopefully restore bone density to normal.

5/2012 Grade 2 DCIS, 2+cm extensive comedo necrosis. 0/4 nodes. 98% ER+/99% PR+. LCIS/ALH presented after NSBMX 7/12. TH/BSO 8/13. Dx LE arm/truncal 10/2015. Convert to prepectoral 6/20/16

Feb 23, 2015 03:49AM Momine wrote:

Mommyathome, I have osteopenia in my spine. It was mild prior to the ooph+AI, now it is right on the border to osteoporosis.

In my case, calcium and D is not enough. Also, because I get blood work often, I know that I can't absorb much more than 300mg of calcium supplement per day. Anything over that goes straight to my blood instead of to my bones.

Weight-lifting is good. Walking is good. Eating a generally healthy and balanced diet also helps.

I may have to go on Prolia, but right now I am waiting to see if the bone loss stabilizes. I get DEXA scan every 8-12 months.

Dx 6/1/2011, ILC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 7/23 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/20/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/13/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 1/9/2012 Surgery 3/8/2012 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 4/1/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 23, 2015 05:37AM Mommyathome wrote:

Ladies thanks for your responses! Once again I find myself in a place where I feel confused and unsure. What is DEXA? Hopefully the endocrinologist can help give me good plans to move forward and stop anymore bone loss and fix what's already been done. Because I had DCIS I don't meet regularly with an oncologist but I did for one appt which I set up to speak directly about estrogen use, and bone loss. Because my cancer was estrogen positive I can't use hormone therapy- my gyno was pushing for estrogen therapy even when I explained about my cancer. She said without it I will have bone loss and heart problems!!!! A very stressful decision. Any way hopefully when I see endocrinologist I can speak to her about some of ur recommendations. Thank u

Feb 23, 2015 08:23AM keepthefaith wrote:

mommy, My Vit D level was 17 when I was DX'd. I am post-meno and had ooph/hyst 9 yrs ago. I had bone density test and have osteoporosis and osteopenia. I am now taking 4000 IU's of Vit D3 and also calcium with magnesium. I gradually increased as I was having my levels checked. The last time I had it checked it was barely in the normal range at 31.

I believe they consider "normal" to be btwn 30-100. Good that you are going to an endo. Getting out in the sun, (if you are lucky enough to have some), can also be beneficial for Vit D levels.

DEXA is the bone density test.

Best wishes~

Dx 9/17/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/18/2013 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 12/3/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 12/26/2013 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 1/16/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 2/11/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 4/1/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 5/23/2014

Apr 18, 2015 10:17PM Liz_58 wrote:

My bone density test was stable before my treatments and now after almost two years on Arimidex my bone density test indicated a 7% bone loss in my spine and 3% in my hips. The report used the words significant deterioration which has me concerned. My MO said I shouldn't worry. She said moving to Tamoxifen was an option but she recommended I stay on Arimidex and start taking Actonel for the duration of my Arimidex. I don't recall if she gave me a reason why she preferred that route over switching to Tamoxifen. I was taking 300 mg of calcium with magnesium and 1000 IU of vitamin D; however, I don't think I was taking enough calcium or vitamin D. She said I should have been taking 2000 IU of vitamin D and to use the osteoporosis website to determine how much calcium supplement I need. Looks like I wasn't taking enough calcium so I've started to drink milk.

I'm getting some dental work done and then I will wait 2 months before starting the Actonel. Probably overly cautious because it's not tooth extraction but just a couple of crowns I'm having done but the Actonel side effects are scaring me. I'm curious to know what others are doing if they are in a similar situation and how they are determining how much calcium and D supplement levels.

Dx 10/18/2012, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/15/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/15/2013 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 5/15/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 20, 2015 12:01AM karen1956 wrote:

Walking, walking and more walking!!! My goals is 15K steps/day!!! My DH and 17 year old DD tell me I'm obsessed with walking!!! At my 6 month check up last month, my onc told me that walking as better than anything else that I could do. I also had my most recent Dexa scan last month and I am osteoporosis in the spin and osteopenic in the neck and hip. I took Actonel while I was on the AI's but stopped it when I quit AI's 5 years ago. My last Dexa scan was 3 years ago and at that time, my pcp said she would rather me take biophosphonates when I'm in my 70's (G-d willing I live that long)!! than in my 50's as they are now saying only 10 years on them and I took them for 3 years. So I need to see my pcp again and see what she says now...but I'm okay with not taking them at this time. So I'll keep being obsessed with walking!!!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)