Join Us

We are 218,036 members in 84 forums discussing 160,860 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: NYTimes: Calcium Doesn’t Improve Bone Density

Forum: Bone Health and Bone Loss —

Talk with others about bone density, osteopenia and osteoporosis, and ways to keep your bones strong

Posted on: Oct 6, 2015 11:36AM

peggy_j wrote:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/10/05/study-rev...

I was also surprised to learn, from my endocrinologist, that blood calcium level (easily tested in standard blood tests) is not a good indication of whether my body is absorbing enough calcium. Instead he said it's the "24-hour urinary excretion of calcium" test, but in my case he doesn't see a reason to do that right now. FYI.

Dx 2/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Oct 6, 2015 11:59AM Englishmummy wrote:

I was told that too.

I just read a book called 'The Whole Foods Guide to Strong Bones' by AnneMarie Colbin. \

My husband is of the 'must eat bucket loads of dairy' league so I have been reading material to counter his opinion as my children have decided that they no longer wish to eat dairy - he believes they will have brittle bones if they don't drink milk.....seems I am finding out the opposite.

Ms. Colbin goes into great detail about calcium, supplements, foods that contain the most calcium and allow you to absorb the most, those that diminish calcium supply and weaken bones, bone density and of course, the impact of excercise.She even talks about reversing bone density. There are some great recipes in there too.

Another read if anyone is interested, is 'Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth about Cow's Milk and Your Health.' by Joseph Keon. It is more on the political side but busts many calcium myths.

Dx 5/22/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 5/22/2015, IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/9/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 7/21/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)